The Shadow of Yserbius

Hang out, talk, post whatever is on your mind.
Lasarian
Lord
Lord
Realm: TableTop
House: Griffon

The Shadow of Yserbius

Post by Lasarian »

I found an INN Revival site that allows you to download an installer that sets up everything you need to play "The Shadow of Yserbius" - entirely for the giggle factor and if anyone was curious to see what game NOR started on. This is it!

http://www.mightyseek.com/innrevival/IN ... _setup.exe

Have the installer do its thing. Next you will have to create a profile for the INN portion of the program - you don't have to spend any time on that, I just skipped everything I could and moved on to the map.
INN01.jpg
INN01.jpg (13.55 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
When you are prompted for a PASSWORD, just type in any six numbers or letters, it doesn't matter what it is as long as it is exactly six.
INN02.jpg
INN02.jpg (19.38 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
INN03.jpg
INN03.jpg (21.07 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
In the upper right hand corner you will see a volcano, if you mouse over that, it should read "Medievaland".
INN04.jpg
INN04.jpg (23.34 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
Click that. Select the only server that is there, "Sword Swamp" I believe.
INN05.jpg
INN05.jpg (22.4 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
INN06.jpg
INN06.jpg (21.76 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
From there you can create your character, visit the Tavern, or "head to the DE" - the Dungeon Entrance.

When you exit the game and return to the DOS Box C:\ prompt just type 'exit'.

If you get an error trying to restart the game with the INNRevival desktop icon, right click on it and try "Run as Administrator" - worked for me.
Lasarian
*NOR/LE • NOMAD
Roxanne
Lady
Lady
Realm: Overwatch
House: Unicorn
Record: Recruited and Squired in TSOY Junish 1994
Recruited by Naquav
Promoted to Lady in May 1995
Married to Duke Zif in game, Feb 1996
Married to Lord Zif IRL April 21, 2000

Re: The Shadow of Yserbius

Post by Roxanne »

I wanted to comment on the game...for those of you that try it, keep in mind that alot of the fun was the commmunity. Sitting in the tavern, chatting and such, was SO much fun! Also, while the game is extremely dated, it is still fun, trying to figure out the secrets that the Volcano held.

Maybe we should put together a night where some of us old 'uns (pokes Las and Gwen) and show off the game that started it all! What say you? Are you IN?!!
Roxanne
*NOR/LE
Wife of ZiF
Roxanne
Lady
Lady
Recruited by Naquav

Post by Roxanne »

/bump
Roxanne
*NOR/LE
Wife of ZiF
Ojike
Baron
Baron
Record: Recruit: 06/21/04
Squire: 09/18/04
Squire Honor: 05/17/06
Squire Elite: 06/11/06

Post by Ojike »

Roxanne wrote: Maybe we should put together a night where some of us old 'uns (pokes Las and Gwen) and show off the game that started it all! What say you? Are you IN?!!
Someone set up FRAPS, or a similar program, so you we can have proof of the more "venerable" members getting back to their roots! lol
Ojike *NOR/GR
"For, as a wise man once said: An error doesn't become a mistake, until you refuse to correct it."
-John F Kennedy
Roxanne
Lady
Lady
Recruited by Naquav

Post by Roxanne »

Ojike wrote:
Roxanne wrote: Maybe we should put together a night where some of us old 'uns (pokes Las and Gwen) and show off the game that started it all! What say you? Are you IN?!!
Someone set up FRAPS, or a similar program, so you we can have proof of the more "venerable" members getting back to their roots! lol
Ok YOU! lol!! Hey, it would be cool if we got you, your dad, me, Las, Gwen and anyone else that would like to come along and just have a go at it! OJ, I just can't begin to explain the attraction of TSoY or the Imagination Network. I might even get my son to come along too, when I started playing, I would let him play too (he was only 5). He was even sworn into NOR, lol! (and yes, that is a hell of a LOA he's been on ;)) Alas, he tends not to enjoy the same type of games that NOR is in, but I may be able to talk him into doing it ;)
Roxanne
*NOR/LE
Wife of ZiF
Ojike
Baron
Baron
Record: Recruit: 06/21/04
Squire: 09/18/04
Squire Honor: 05/17/06
Squire Elite: 06/11/06

Post by Ojike »

Roxanne wrote: Hey, it would be cool if we got you, your dad, me, Las, Gwen and anyone else that would like to come along and just have a go at it!
I remember watching my Dad play this game, and the first game I played where he made me a character that may or may not have been recruited in NOR was The Realm (he gave me this suit of green sparkly armor, and I went after some big rat boss, died, and lost all the gear, lol!!) I also remember him making me a toon in EQ1 too... Ages ago.
Ojike *NOR/GR
"For, as a wise man once said: An error doesn't become a mistake, until you refuse to correct it."
-John F Kennedy
Roxanne
Lady
Lady
Recruited by Naquav

Post by Roxanne »

Thinking about putting up an event to party in the 'Cano! Would anyone else be interested in doing this? :aletoast

Lasarian wrote:I found an INN Revival site that allows you to download an installer that sets up everything you need to play "The Shadow of Yserbius" - entirely for the giggle factor and if anyone was curious to see what game NOR started on. This is it!

http://www.mightyseek.com/innrevival/IN ... _setup.exe

Have the installer do its thing. Next you will have to create a profile for the INN portion of the program - you don't have to spend any time on that, I just skipped everything I could and moved on to the map.
INN01.jpg
When you are prompted for a PASSWORD, just type in any six numbers or letters, it doesn't matter what it is as long as it is exactly six.
INN02.jpg
INN03.jpg
In the upper right hand corner you will see a volcano, if you mouse over that, it should read "Medievaland".
INN04.jpg
Click that. Select the only server that is there, "Sword Swamp" I believe.
INN05.jpg
INN06.jpg
From there you can create your character, visit the Tavern, or "head to the DE" - the Dungeon Entrance.

When you exit the game and return to the DOS Box C:\ prompt just type 'exit'.

If you get an error trying to restart the game with the INNRevival desktop icon, right click on it and try "Run as Administrator" - worked for me.
Roxanne
*NOR/LE
Wife of ZiF
Lasarian
Lord
Lord
Realm: TableTop

Post by Lasarian »

You know I'm in. Rox ... it's probably asking a lot for our regular members to get too excited about this - so I'm just going to say it:

Yes, I know it's an old, weird, lame game and there is very little impetus to try it. It's not really relevant anymore and we are playing so many other games, who has the time to pile yet another one on, particularly one that, strictly speaking, no longer truly exists.

How to put this delicately and diplomatically?

Roxanne. Lasarian. HUMOR US.
Lasarian
*NOR/LE • NOMAD
Gilen
Baron
Baron
Realm: RIFT

Post by Gilen »

I went in as soon as I saw this anyway. I am just a little confused as to what to do. Apparently going into the dungeon as a level 0 barbarian was not the answer as I was killed inside of a few steps. ;) And there were only 3 other people on when I went in and I could never find them. So sitting around the Tavern didn't seem like it would be nearly the fun it was back in the day. But I have it on my system now and will goof around with it when I have time.

Unlike some of our members, however, I REMEMBER when games ALL looked like this and we were excited about it because it had GRAPHICS! This was the height of cool because nobody else had been able to do any better. Machines were not capable of better graphics or play (at least none any of US could afford). So even though I never played THIS particular game, it is still a walk down memory lane for me. The midi music, the blocky graphics, .... Where is my lightsaber? I need to go kill a well drawn Rakghoul!

Edit --

LOL OK I tried this again this morning and tried to go into the tavern. I clicked on the post button thinking I would be able to say hi or something. And it locked up on me. So I shut down the whole thing and tried going back into it again. Now I get stuck at the "Dialing" screen while the "modem" is trying to connect! ROFL Yeah this brings back memories too! :)
Skorj
Duke
Duke
Realm: Dungeons & Dragons
Record: http://newoutriders.org/member/Skorj

Post by Skorj »

Lasarian wrote:You know I'm in. Rox ... it's probably asking a lot for our regular members to get too excited about this - so I'm just going to say it:

Yes, I know it's an old, weird, lame game and there is very little impetus to try it. It's not really relevant anymore and we are playing so many other games, who has the time to pile yet another one on, particularly one that, strictly speaking, no longer truly exists.

How to put this delicately and diplomatically?

Roxanne. Lasarian. HUMOR US.
Hey, I'm excited about this (I enjoyed TR not all that long ago, too)! Once we get past the DDO GLUE event, I'm jumping in. Some of these old MUDs had a lot of thought and character put into them - can't wait to see this one.
Skorj
*NOR/Duke DDO - Stormreach Duchy
NOR to the core since aught one.

Return to “"The Tavern"”