Rift 3.0 – Expansion Reveals and Teasers

Lasarian
Lord
Lord
Realm: TableTop
House: Griffon

Re: Rift 3.0 – Expansion Reveals and Teasers

Post by Lasarian »

Talolan wrote:Don't everybody disagree with Immy all at once :)
Quit stirring up trouble you.
Lasarian
*NOR/LE • NOMAD
Ojike
Baron
Baron
House: Unicorn
Record: Recruit: 06/21/04
Squire: 09/18/04
Squire Honor: 05/17/06
Squire Elite: 06/11/06

Post by Ojike »

Lasarian wrote:
Someone has too. :tongue2
Ojike *NOR/GR
"For, as a wise man once said: An error doesn't become a mistake, until you refuse to correct it."
-John F Kennedy
Imaultis
Realm: ArcheAge

Post by Imaultis »

hehe, since everyone here seems to be a RIFT fan, I expect to see you in game on a regular basis ;-P
Imaultis
*NOR/Lord-Realm Leader:ARC

Notable Alts
Chakkura
Eiriana
Dedicus
Artesh
Zyera
Lady
Lady
Realm: Final Fantasy XIV
Record: newoutriders.org/member/Zyera

Post by Zyera »

Ojike wrote:
Lasarian wrote:
Someone has too. :tongue2
Posts would be down if trouble wasn't stirred up. ;D
Lady & Realm Leader | GW2 - Zyera.4835 | SWTOR - Keywork Legacy

HollyCNY
Ally
Ally
Record: Recruited August 1996 (NWN on AOL)
Re-Recruited SWTOR March 2013
Squired by Tundrra SWTOR April 13, 2013

Post by HollyCNY »

>>begun plagiarizing other games<<

Even WoW took from EQ and Diablo. I don't care if WoW and Diablo were made by the same people. Make two games by the same people TOO similar and one is going to fall behind.

>>plane of water<<

That's not water, that's me drooling at the news.

Vashj'ir was my favorite zone in Cataclysm. Loved loved LOVED it. Come on, they gave a perma swim speed buff while in the zone, and completely re-defined the combat mechanic: aggro from DIRECTLY above, AND directly below. Aggro that can now come from six directions instead of four. And finally, they DID give us a special underwater mount.

Plane of water. Yes, I'm aboard! Taking the idea, in and of itself, means little. It's the implementation, how they do it. Really looking forward to this.

>>new souls, healing warrior, tanking mage, etc.<<

I dunno. I can see it and yet I can't. Maybe I'm something of a traditionalist too, but it's also a fear of over-homogenization. It's bad enough that people accuse RIFT of "stealing" all the good parts of WoW. What happens when and if people start crying that Trion is now stealing all the bad parts, too?

Again, it's all in the implementation, and I'll be watching and waiting to see how they do it. I'll say this, though, as far as style and appearance: My first thoughts on a tanking mage would be powerful elemental shielding and barriers, probably use of a summonable to help with extra mitigation and keeping threat, and maybe some crowd control thrown in. If they implement it right, it would go a long way toward making a mage into a true [CENSORED].

>>player made dungeons<<

The ultimate "new" content is player made. Every game can only be so original before they have to start using tidbits from other games, that eventually become larger slices from other games. Player made stuff is the ultimate customization.

>>companions that will be more than Pokemon<<

Never watched or collected or had anything to do with Pokemon. Every once in a blue moon I'll do a WoW pet battle for some variety. Yet again, it's all in the implementation. I'll need some more specifics on what companions and pets will be able to do in RIFT 3.0 before I make a more informed decision.
Poxi
Baron
Baron
Realm: Neverwinter

Post by Poxi »

Not really looking forward to mage tanks and warrior healers. I guess I'm too set in the traditional ways haha.
I can appreciate skill-point based class advancement that allow for flexibility, but I have to agree here. It's nice when they offer each role for each race, just not every possible combination.

A good example of this would be the Original Everquest. By limiting the playable classes among races it allowed for a much more unique experience and real feel for the lore. You didn't see any Barbarian Wizards running around, it wasn't in line with their lore and honestly, it would have looked just plain weird.

Poxi
Yago Dash - Jedi Sage
Baron - DMG Member
NEW OUTRIDERS - Ebon Hawk Server

:bunny <-Beware the Bunny of Doom!
Ojike
Baron
Baron
House: Unicorn
Record: Recruit: 06/21/04
Squire: 09/18/04
Squire Honor: 05/17/06
Squire Elite: 06/11/06

Post by Ojike »

Poxi wrote:
Not really looking forward to mage tanks and warrior healers. I guess I'm too set in the traditional ways haha.
I can appreciate skill-point based class advancement that allow for flexibility, but I have to agree here. It's nice when they offer each role for each race, just not every possible combination.

A good example of this would be the Original Everquest. By limiting the playable classes among races it allowed for a much more unique experience and real feel for the lore. You didn't see any Barbarian Wizards running around, it wasn't in line with their lore and honestly, it would have looked just plain weird.

Poxi
Depends on the game, or the lore of whatever it is you're reading/playing. I think Warrior Healers and Mage Tanks are great ideas. It allows good flexibility so that a person (if they so choose) can focus on one character, but be prepared to handle any situation the party/guild might need.

DMG Leader - "Uh oh, Tanks called in sick for raid night guys... hey 'Mage #2' is your warrior ready to tank?"
'Mage #2' - "No, sorry, he is two levels out and needs gear. It's too bad they don't just let Mages tank, I could spend my time in PvP farming PvE gear instead."

Going back to lore, you can and can't compare EQ and RIFT (or all games even) when developers mostly try (or SHOULD try) to make their own game, especially their own lore. Yeah, a Barbarian Wizard from EQ doesn't make sense, but let's look at lore from D&D's 4th Edition (please, bear with me). A race of "high elves" called the Eladrin are introduced, a later edition adds in the "Sword Mage" class. Literally, a mage tank that uses teleportation on their allies, and ranged-esk spells that create force fields to protect the party. There is also the Warlord class, that acts as a "warrior healer". The Warlord stands at the front lines with the rest of the fighters, and paladins, and barbarians and using the power of voice, tact, and experience they boost the morale, and replenish the stamina and vitality (health) of the party.

So sure, a Cleric uses divine magics to mend wounds, or a Shaman calls upon primal spirits to replenish lost blood... but the Warlord in a way spurs adrenaline in the party to make that push through to victory.

Mage Tanks and Warrior Healers, yes please! :yay
Ojike *NOR/GR
"For, as a wise man once said: An error doesn't become a mistake, until you refuse to correct it."
-John F Kennedy
Tygir
Knight
Knight

Post by Tygir »

warrior healers = band-aid application masters!!!!
The true test of a champion, is how long it takes to kill him.

"i believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage. Rage against the dying of the light.
Poxi
Baron
Baron
Realm: Neverwinter

Post by Poxi »

I will say that the Warpriest from WAR online was about the most fun anyone ever had healing...
There's nothing better than jumping off the side of the castle wall and smashing an orc with a two-handed hammer to heal your party.
Yago Dash - Jedi Sage
Baron - DMG Member
NEW OUTRIDERS - Ebon Hawk Server

:bunny <-Beware the Bunny of Doom!
Imaultis
Realm: ArcheAge

Post by Imaultis »

Poxi wrote:There's nothing better than jumping off the side of the castle wall and smashing an orc with a two-handed hammer to heal your party.
'cept if u da orc smashin' all da hummies:) dat mor funz!!
Imaultis
*NOR/Lord-Realm Leader:ARC

Notable Alts
Chakkura
Eiriana
Dedicus
Artesh

Return to “Information & Updates”