SimCity: NORlandia

Open discussion for members and visitors.
Talolan
Duke
Duke
Realm: Neverwinter
House: Griffon

SimCity: NORlandia

Post by Talolan »

:hailnor

Welcome to NORlandia. NORlandia is a large region in SimCity reserved for NOR members and close friends. NORlandia features 16 cities and 4 great works locations. Just friend Talo (wejr81) or Vashile (odcase) on Origin if you'd like an invite.

Server:
North America East 2

Cities:
1, Giovanni Woods - Unclaimed
2, Tosca Cliffs - Unclaimed
3, Traviata Knoll - Unclaimed
4, Figaro Forest - Unclaimed
5, Straussburg Isles - Unclaimed
6, Burghausen Hills - Unclaimed
7, Bamberg Basin - Unclaimed
8, Hohenburg Shores - Unclaimed
9, Lancaster Point - Talolan (will abandon when the Arcology is complete)
10, Tudor Isle - Talolan
11, Yorkshire Cliffs (renamed: Griffon) - Lasarian
12, Wessex Bend (renamed: New Freeport) - Vashile
13, Gaugin Valley (renamed: South Qeynos) - Vashile
14, Matisse Plains (renamed: Babylon) - Lasarian

15, Monet Plateau - Unclaimed
16, Rosseau Flats - Talolan

Great Works:
Sub-Region 1/2/3/4 - Empty
Sub-Region 5/6/7/8 - Empty
Sub-Region 9/10/11/12 - Arcology (in progress)
Sub-Region 13/14/15/16 - Solar Farm
Viridian Woods
Viridian Woods
Helpful Links
SimCity Patch Notes
SimCity Server Status
Talolan
NOR/DK-NOMAD

“Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it’s a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope.” - Dr. Seuss
Official Dungeon Master of your dreams.
Talolan
Duke
Duke

Re: SimCity: NORlandia

Post by Talolan »

Region Update: Largely based out of my second city (Rosseau Flats), I was able to raise the 1/2 million needed to start construction on the Solar Farm great work. I am currently shipping Plastic and Alloy to the site, and building CPUs in Rosseau and shipping those to the site as well. Phase 1 of construction on the great work should probably take me the rest of the week. Then we get phase 2, and I don't know what that is yet.
Talolan
NOR/DK-NOMAD

“Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it’s a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope.” - Dr. Seuss
Talolan
Duke
Duke

Post by Talolan »

All of the CPUs needed for phase 1 of the Solar Farm have been built and delivered. Now we just have to throw more Alloy and Plastic at it.
Talolan
NOR/DK-NOMAD

Talolan
Duke
Duke

Post by Talolan »

The Solar Farm great work is completed. The four cities in that sub-region can all connect to it.

My big city is drawing about 250 mw power from it for $199, which is about $2000 less than even a cheap coal power plant, never mind a more expensive plant like Solar or Wind.
Talolan
NOR/DK-NOMAD

Ojike
Baron
Baron
House: Unicorn
Record: Recruit: 06/21/04
Squire: 09/18/04
Squire Honor: 05/17/06
Squire Elite: 06/11/06

Post by Ojike »

Awesome job guys. :yay

Question about Great Works. Do they only benefit the 4 surrounding cities, or can they benefit the whole region? ie why not build 4 solar farms for essentially free energy?
Ojike *NOR/GR
"For, as a wise man once said: An error doesn't become a mistake, until you refuse to correct it."
-John F Kennedy
Talolan
Duke
Duke

Post by Talolan »

It depends on the work in question. I will look up the connections on them.
Talolan
NOR/DK-NOMAD

Talolan
Duke
Duke

Post by Talolan »

Ok. Here's the deal.

Yes, the Solar Farm will only benefit the cities that are connected to it. So just that sub-region of 4 cities.

The other Great Works are:
Arcology: The Arc works like the Solar Farm, in that it only benefits the cities connected to it in its sub-region. But its benefit is hard to quantify. Think of the Arcology as a giant people farm. If you have unfilled jobs and are connected to the Arc, its people will fill them. They will fill your empty school desks, they will shop in your stores. Its like having a giant mass of free population to fill in all your gaps.

International Airport: This increases tourism and freight shipping for the cities connected to it in its sub-region. So if you make a Tourism/Culture specialized city, you'll want it connected to the international airport.

Space Center: This increases tourism, and skilled workfoce in the connected cities. Connected mayors can also schedule rocket launches for large bonuses to tourism.
-----

The Solar Farm has the most black & white benefit. Lots of cheap power. But, of them all, it is also the least beneficial (and as such, the least expensive to build). Right now, I think I'll let Vash decide which great work he wants to build in his quadrant of the region, and then we'll build that one.

As for building 4 solar farms, I think that would be a waste, and you'd miss out on a lot of other benefits. What I would suggest as more NORbies join the region (please do), is that one person decide they want to provide power to the region. I've just about unlocked the solar upgrade for solar power plants, so if somebody wants to set aside a piece of land for it, I think that 1 city in each quadrant could power the whole quadrant.
Talolan
NOR/DK-NOMAD

Talolan
Duke
Duke

Post by Talolan »

FYI, I demolished an abandoned Monet Shores, so anybody can claim the fresh city now. I didn't think it was fair to control two cities in the same sub-region feeding off the same great work.
Talolan
NOR/DK-NOMAD

Vashile
Baron
Baron
Realm: Elder Scrolls Online

Post by Vashile »

I'm so tempted to start the Space Center. My city is in shambles atm though.
Talolan
Duke
Duke

Post by Talolan »

Vashile wrote:I'm so tempted to start the Space Center. My city is in shambles atm though.
I'll put something in that sub-region and see if I can help out.
Talolan
NOR/DK-NOMAD

Return to “General”