[Spoilers] Return to Greyhawk

Koram
Count
Count
House: Griffon

Re: [Spoilers] Return to Greyhawk

Post by Koram »

:hailnor

Session 39 - 5/5/2023 - Pascorel, Periwinkle and the Riverboat to Wyvernen (Bonus Discord In Character Banter)

DM : Lasarian
Party: Baiz - Dour Warmfury - Mountain Dwarf Fighter/Champion - Mason's and Smith's Tools
Talo - Easeis - Human - Sorcerer/Spell Void - Dice Set and Thieves' Tools
Stel - Eilo - Fairy - Warlock/Celestial - Flute
Rox - Kismet of the Woods - Wood Elf Druid/Circle of the Land (Forest) - Herbalism Kit
Khaie - Magar - Grey Elf Wizard/School of Evocation - Herbalism Kit
Kor - Koram Orchammer - Hill Dwarf Cleric/Life Domain - Mason's, Cartographer's and Smith's Tools - Herbalism Kit

Saturday the 15th of Coldeven, evening

Start session as the party heads away from the Temple of Shargaas, west towards Pascorel.

Easeis casts speak with animals as the group passes by a raven in a tree just outside the ruins. It tells him that the orcs and slavers have departed the temple and headed downriver. The party manages to put some distance from the ruins, even with the swampy rough terrain, and finally stops to camp for the night at about 9PM. Dour and Easeis and then Koram and Easeis take the watch shifts, and the party manages a long rest undisturbed.

Sunday the 16th of Coldeven. At about 0500, the party breaks camp and sets off west once again. As dawn breaks, Eilo summons three creatures from her bag of tricks. This time the balls of fur turn into a baboon, black bear and tiger. The party travels through the day and again camps undisturbed.

Monday the 17th of Coldeven. Following her routine, Eilo summons 3 new animals at dawn as the party is traveling. Today, a giant hyena, black bear and tiger join the group. The party passes sentries from Pascorel at the river, and just a few hours later, the group arrives at the large village of Pascorel.

The party is allowed to camp outside the trading post area, and it appears there are many traveling merchants from a large caravan currently present in Pascorel. The party spends the afternoon wandering the merchant stalls and decompressing from all the trials of late. The merchants include; vehicles/transport, leatherworker, tools, songbooks and musical instruments, Merchant/Cleric of Zilchus (God of Banking and Wealth), scrolls and spellbooks, jewelry, and an Astral Traveler Legendary merchant.

Several of the party have heard of the Bank of Zilchus and the services they offer. The group agrees that this is the perfect opportunity for them to set up a vault with the Bank and use their unquestionably respected and safe services to store the large silver ingots from Zelligar's cache. The party votes Koram should set up the account and be responsible as the Designee and holder of the Zilchus sending stone provided when a vault account is set up. Eilo wants to have a sit down with Loris before we conclude business, and has a conversation before Koram meets with the human cleric of Zilchus at his armored wagon with his 4 well equipped footmen guards standing nearby. 500gp is paid to set up the vault and Loris hands Koram the Designee Sending Stone, which can be used to call for a magical or mundane wealth pickup depending on location. There is a 10% fee on the value of items to be picked up charged by the bank per day of travel to pick up or drop off wealth. The group unloads the 15 large silver blocks worth 4,500gp with Loris, and he tells the party there is no charge for the initial deposit since we are just setting up our vault account. Koram thanks Loris and heads to the leatherworker to get a specially made hidden pouch that can be strapped under armor or outer clothing to rest under the arm like a shoulder holster/sheath. The party also takes the time to sell off all the excess gear to any of the merchants interested in buying the items.

Jess and Theron, two of the prisoners rescued from the slavers and members of the local militia in Pascorel, arrive with the village elder and offer the hospitality of the village to the party. They have spoken highly of the group's exploits against the orcs and slavers. The party is brought to the local tavern and has dinner and pastries with the Jess, Theron and the elder. Eilo performs a few tunes on her flute and is given a free meal and drinks. Easeis buys dinner for the rest of the party, Jess, Theron and the elder. The group also arranges rooms for the night. The elder asks the group if they would be willing to check Leraizen for orcs or slavers and clear the ruins/Temple of Shagraas, offering to pay the party 200gp if they succeed.

After the meal, Easeis heads out to a tavern near the docks and sits for a while drinking and chatting with an old riverboat sailor. He casts detect thoughts to verify some information on the name, Devolder. The sailor vaguely remembers the name as belonging to a highborn or noble pirate captain that was active along the Wild Coast some 15-20 years ago. The old boatman also tells Easeis that he may have more luck finding information about the pirate in Cantona, and possibly Safeton.

Eventually everyone ends up in their rooms resting comfortably for the first time in many days. The next morning Eilo summons a giant weasel and two axebeaks from her bag of tricks. The party then catches up with the village elder and tells him that they will at least check Leraizen and possibly venture back to the ruins as time and other priorities allow.

The party has barely left the village when Eilo receives a sending from Periwinkle. She states that she is in Wyvernen and needs help as she is being hunted.

The companions immediately turn back to Pascorel and look to book passage on a boat heading downriver to Wyvernen. Everyone has their own reasons for wanting to catch up to the strange halfling. The party manages to find passage on one of the sleek longships that ply the river.

End Session 39 - Group is on the longship that has just departed for Wyvernen.

Total XP : Eilo, Easeis and Kismet : 5,975 - Magar : 5,805 - Dour : 5,825 - Koram : 6,110

See below for Discord in character notes and game that occurred between sessions.

Lasarian DM: Because I feel as though I cheated Eilo her moment in the Zone of Truth because who the hell asks those kinds of questions and I can't be prepared with an extensive backstory for every damned NPC you meet... nevertheless, here is what Loris said, in part, during his time inside the Zone of Truth with Eilo.

"My name is Loris, I was born to a family of merchants who were known for their shrewd business sense and attention to detail. My father was a successful trader who specialized in importing and exporting exotic goods from faraway lands. My mother was a skilled accountant who managed the family finances with an iron fist. I grew up in a household where every penny was accounted for, and where hard work and dedication were highly valued.

I have two older sisters who were both expected to follow in their mother's footsteps and become accountants, but I had had different aspirations. From a young age, I was drawn to the teachings of Zilchus, the god of commerce and wealth. I would spend hours reading religious texts and studying the intricacies of the banking system.

I attended a prestigious boarding school where I excelled in mathematics and economics. It was during my time at school that I first realized my calling to become a cleric of Zilchus. I devoted himself to my studies, and after completing my education, I entered the service of the Temple. It was here that I met my first love, a fellow student named Maia who shared my passion for devotion to Zilchus.

I have been a cleric for over a decade now and have worked his way up the ranks to become one of the most trusted advisors of the church. I am married to a fellow cleric named Eilidh, whom I met while studying at the abbey. We have two children, a son named Duncan and a daughter named Fiona.

Whenever I can, I like to indulge in my favorite pastry, Buttered Almond Bread, which I encountered during my travels through the Kron Hills. I have been hooked ever since."

After Eilo receives the sending from Periwinkle and the group has turned back into Pascorel...

Eilo - "Loris! You haven't left yet, thank the stars! May I speak to you for a moment? It is so very important, and I will not bother you for very long at all. I am sorry for zipping past your guards."

Loris - "Ah, good morning. Eilo, wasn't it?" He looks around at the guards and then you. "Um, sure, I just need a moment to secure the wagon, I will be right back."

He offers you a seat on the outside rails of the wagon.

"Only be a moment."

Eilo sits on the wagon and swings her legs.

Eilo nibbles a vulture biscuit.

He returns in just a moment, smiling at you.

Loris - "What can I do for you, Eilo?"

Eilo - "Well... Can you do a Sending for me? I can tell you the whole story if you like, or a shorter story if you don't care as much, but if you can't do a Sending at all I can just go away."

Loris - "I can cast Sending for you, typically I would ask for a fee, but in this case, if you would just answer a few questions for me I would cast the spell for you."

Eilo - "Yes! Ok! And here is a good cookie for you. It's called a vulture biscuit which sounds terrible but if you like Buttered Almond Bread you will find them delicious." Eilo hands Loris a new cookie, not the one she was nibbling.

He thanks you for the cookie and tries it, clearly enjoying the taste. "Delicious." he agrees.

Loris - "While I was in the wagon, I cast Zone of Truth on us again and I would like you to tell me the following please: A complete genological history of your family going back at least two generations please, your mother's name, father's name, both of their parents names ... do they have any siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins? Do you have any siblings? Brothers or sisters? What is your favorite pastry? Who was your first love? How did you become drawn to magic? Where are you from? What is the name of your home? Could you tell me about your formative years in your home? Are there any childhood memories that stand out for you in particular? Did you have a best friend? Are you still in touch? When did you first experience loss? Who was it? What was that like? How did you meet your friends? How long have you been with them? "

Eilo - "My Mamma is named Vedermoda. She is very beautiful and she has very long pink hair that grows way way past her feet. She has to fly very high or her hair gets dirty on the bottom, but then I get to wash it which I like doing very much. When she was pregnant with my sisters she would get tired and fly lower and lower so that was a nice thing to be able to wash Mamma’s hair.

Mamma Vedermoda has six sisters: Lidande, Umbarande, Kampa, Strida, Streta, and Arbete. Mamma is the littlest. Kampa, Strida, Lidande and Streta all have pink hair like Mamma’s even though Mamma’s is the prettiest. Umbarande and Arbete have green hair just like her Peppa Beslut’s helper in the candy kitchen, but no one else has green hair! It’s very silly.

Mamma Vedermoda’s mother is named Nenna Alska, and she has two sisters and two brothers, so Mamma Vedermoda had Uncle Karlek, Auntie Noll, Auntie Alskling, and Uncle Halsning. Uncle Karlek and Auntie Alskling both went off to fight trolls and have wonderful adventures, and one day they will return and tell us many stories. Auntie Noll is very quiet and likes to watch things grow and she sighs a lot. Uncle Halsning is very funny and Mamma says he would tell such funny stories that Mamma would laugh so much that she would fart and then she would be embarrassed and laugh more and then the room would smell very bad.

Mamma Vedermoda’s father is named Peppa Beslut. Peppa Beslut’s siblings were devoured by turtles on a terrible day at the seaside and then he was given to the witches, so no aunties and uncles on that side.

My Dadda is named Stolthet. For a long time he made candy in Peppa Beslut’s candy kitchen, but then there was a terrible accident and his hands were burned with sugar so now he is a chive farmer. He loves Mamma Vedermoda very much even though he does not make her candy anymore.

Dadda Stolthet has three brothers, Hogfard, Antal, and Styrka. Styrka and Antal are very ugly, but Hogfard is handsome and smells like good cheese. Antal is very kind, and would give me cookies whenever he took them to market. Styrka is mean and no one loves him.
Dadda Stolthet’s parents are Nenna Dyster and Peppa Ond.
Nenna Dyster was a triplet and has two identical sisters but she has never spoken their names to me. Mamma Vedermoda told me that Nanna Dyster was cursed and that one of her sisters would explode if she spoke one of their names, but she could never be sure it would be the sister she wanted to explode, so she never took the chance. I think probably they had a bad fight but you never know.

Peppa Ond had a sister, Svart, but she married Nerrondo who was very mean and never let Svart visit Dadda Stolthet. So I know Dadda Stolthet has an Auntie Svart but Peppa Ond tells me he will need to be patient and wait for Nerrondo to die or Svart to run away or maybe feed him to the turtles one day. Then I will meet Auntie Svart.

I do also have three sisters! Their names are Gladje, Frojd and Noje. Gladje and Frojd and I would have many happy times playing in the pond behind our house. Noje did not like the pond because one time a turtle bit off her leg. She can still fly so I do not understand why she’s still so grumpy about it. The pond is very pretty. I am the oldest sister. I also have a brother Frojdas.

My favorite pastry is Skoldpadda, which is so wonderful! I will try to bring you one and you can try it and then I can try Buttered Almond Bread and then we will both be happy. Skoldpadda is flaky pastry which is filled with a mishmush of raisins and almonds and pistachios and soaked in ang for seventeen days. Not the pastry, because then it would be soggy! Silly. Just the filling is soaked in ang. Anyway, Skoldpadda have little almond feet and they are shaped like turtles. I ask for them on my birthday because Noje won’t eat them, so there are more for me.

My first love is named Ilska. He was very handsome and he had long purple hair and he would tie sticks in it and look very fierce. We would spend many hours talking and eating Skoldpadda and Dadda was teaching him how to make candy but he said he could never be content with the life of a candy-maker so he ran away with a weasel-farmer named Draskel who has ugly hair and now they have seven children with ugly hair that is not purple. I do not think Ilska is happy and I have mean thoughts about him which makes me sad but also a little happy, and I am trying to stop enjoying those mean thoughts.

I became drawn to magic after I fell through the ice of Lake Oerfaren. My wings became soaked and I couldn’t move them, and they pulled me down and down and down and I said my goodbyes to all of my family and thought happy thoughts about them all (this was before Ilska, so it was easier to think happy thoughts about him) and then I was rescued by [STRANGE STATICKY NOISE] and I devoted my life to serving [STRANGE STATICKY NOISE] and following the path of goodness and healing and sometimes that path is so very difficult and then I am punished but so far [STRANGE STATICKY NOISE] forgives me and I hope I will not fail too terribly in my service.

I am from Old Woods, a little village to the southeast of Astrazalian. Sometimes tinkers from Astrazalian will visit Old Woods, but not very often. We are a very small place, and now that no one makes candy here, there is even less reason to visit.
I had a mostly happy childhood in Old Woods! We would sing lots of songs in our little house. It was built into the side of a tree and the nice rooms were all in the big branches but the smaller childrooms were in the upper branches which were smaller and grew upways and sometimes it was nice to sleep with the wind moving your room but sometimes there were storms and only Frojdas was happy then.

One childhood memory I have is when I was small I wrapped up Frojdas in leaves and tied his arms and legs to his sides and left him on a stump. I hoped and hoped that he would be taken by trolls. This is before I was rescued by [STRANGE STATICKY NOISE] and began to follow the path of goodness. Frojdas cried and then he whimpered and then he got very quiet and his eyes got very small and mean and then I flew away. I do not like Frojdas.

I do also have a best friend! His name is Vaster and he has a squirrel’s tail that he wears as a cape and he is very brave. I have not seen him since I left Old Woods but I will tell him of all my adventures when I come back. Maybe I will even be able to bring my new friends to meet Vaster and then we can all be friends together.
The first time I experienced loss was when Ilska left me for Draskel. We already talked about that and I did not like it at all. I do not have mean thoughts anymore about Ilska though. Not many.

I was sent by the temple of [STRANGE STATICKY NOISE] to leave the Feywild and come through the portal in Celene and to learn more things about being good and strong and wise because the priests there said they were done with me which means I learned everything there was to learn there! I traveled up through the Kron Hills but I did not try any Buttered Almond Bread and then I came to Greyhawk because there is a great library there and I thought that would be a good place to learn new things and then I met my friends and I have been so very happy and I have learned some things but some things are hard and I am still trying.
Would you like my last Vulture Biscuit?"

Loris - "Yes, I'll take that last biscuit, thank you."

“Thank you, Eilo, that was very diverting. I wish you the best of luck. “. He hands you a scroll.

“Fortunately for you, we have many of these. I am curious, and I have dismissed the spell so you don’t have to tell me, why the urgency for a Sending spell this morning ?”

Eilo - "I received a message in the middle of the night from Periwinkle, who helped me rescue all of my friends and also some new people who were in prison and one who was dead but I healed her. Periwinkle stole something important from me so I am angry with her but she is also in very great trouble and danger and I want to help her even though she did something very bad. I want to Send to her that me and my friends are coming to rescue her, even though not all of my friends want to help her and just want to get our Thing back, but I want to help her and also to help her maybe be good. We are leaving right now."

"If you have many of those scrolls, may I have another one?"

"I don't have any other way of reaching Periwinkle, and I have to tell her Important Things, like to keep hiding and when to come out of hiding."

Eilo succeeds in her Persuasion check

Loris sighs: “Very well, one more, for the biscuits…”

“Now I must go Eilo. Good luck to you.”

Eilo - “Thank you Loris, you are very kind. May Zilchus bless you and your family.”

Eilo holds up the Sending scroll and speaks into it very seriously.

“Stay hidden. We’re coming downriver from Pascorel. Send your location at sunset tonight. Tell us bad things we should know. I’m still mad. Hugs, Eilo”

Easeis (musing) - "One, two, Easeis is coming for you. Three, four, better lock your door. Five, six... Witch bolt."

Eilo folds up the other Sending scroll and gives Easeis a look.

Dour - Did you read the scroll first, or just talk at it?

Easeis - "She definitely talked at the scroll and didn't cast it."

Lasarian DM - I really like the image of Loris handing Eilo a rolled up menu and Eilo unfurling it to scream at it.

Eilo to DM (Ooc) - In character here

Eilo - "I wasn't born on a chive farm yesterday."

Lasarian DM: You're right, sorry, I broke the RP

Eilo (Ooc) - Now Eilo has inspiration.

Lasarian DM - Eilo speaking of herself in the third person?

Easeis - "Really, then where is the mask you were trusted to protect with your life?"

Eilo hears a voice in her head asking her a question. She is very confused.

Eilo flies over to Easeis. "It's gone because I picked your life instead. And I would pick you and Kismet and Dour and Koram and Magar again and again and again."

Easeis - "And that's why I can't trust you."

Eilo stumbles backwards and drops to the ground.

Easeis - "You didn't stop to consider that we were capable. That our setback was temporary. You charged forward without thinking. You assumed us lost and showed no faith in us. You, didn't trust us."

Eilo - "I would like to be angry and say that I will not try to save you next time if given a chance. But I will always try to save you. Because that is what friends do."

Easeis - "So you say." Easeis walks away, realizes he's on a barge, and sighs.

Eilo gathers everyone, even Easeis, reluctantly, and quietly tells them what Periwinkle has Sent back to her. "She's wounded and she's on the move, but she's still in the city. She's being hunted by Dark Hunters, halfling-sized and wearing stone masks. She was somewhere called the Last Bastion but now she's underground. I told her to Send to us again at sunset with her location, which is when we should arrive."

Easeis to DM - Do we know anything about "Dark Hunters"?

Lasarian DM: Tough to tell hearing the term second hand, but it doesn't appear to be referring to a named creature, like an orc or a goblin, sounds more descriptive. "Unknown Assailant"

Easeis to DM - I assumed it was some kind of organization, like an assassins guild

Eilo to DM - Do the stone masks ring any bells?

Koram - The unexpected quiet, for once and relaxing barge ride, had Koram napping. He wakes up, looks around, and says, "What'd I miss?"

Lasarian DM - It's a fairly unimaginative description, there has probably been some organization of that name.

Lasarian DM - Not to you Eilo. The dwarves likely would recall some clans buried their dead with stone death masks.

Koram to DM - <If Kor has been caught up on what was discussed> Approach one of the boatmen and ask, "Have ye ever heared of a place called the Last Bastion?"

Boatman nods, "Aye, sir - a proper bawdy tavern in Wyvernen. Every soul aboard has slumped under their tables for a night."

Lasarian DM to group - It's early morning yet.

Koram - Toss the boatman a gold, "Thank ye kindly."

Lasarian DM - His eyes pop out of his head and he offers you a sailor's salute. "Bless ye, m'lord, anything else you need, I'm your servant."

Koram raps his knuckles against his chest plate and gives the boatman a nod.

Kismet to Koram - "That was very generous of you, he will be able to feed his family for quite some time!"

Kismet - Turning her head, she motions for Coco. "Fly ahead and search for Bad things. Return to me if you see anything wrong." With a soft coo, the great owl fluffs her feathers and launches herself towards the sky.

Koram - "I've thought on many a thing we've been through together in the last month, and feel that there's been things I shoulda handled a bit different. Moradin provides for me, and I'm gonna try ta help others more."

Kismet nods - "Our adventures seem to have caused all of us to look within, hmm? Just look at Easeis. To see such as he take a faerie under his care and look out for someone else is unbelievable. At the start of our adventures I never would have believed that I would look to our merry band as a second family but here we are!"

Easeis looks at Kismet with a look that can only be described as "are you high?"

Kismet frowning - "Surely you feel this energy and friendship that binds us to one another, Easeis? You cannot deny that, surely!!"

Easeis - "I know literally nothing about you beyond your name and that you have an affinity for fire."

Kismet chuckles "That is fair, but you haven’t shown much of an interest… other than wanting to blast poor Coco out of the sky!!
And besides all that, besides all of our different backgrounds and beliefs… I would trust my life to you. After all we’ve been through, can’t you feel that bond between us?"

Kismet blushes - "All I know is that I would try to keep you as safe as if you were my Coco."

Easeis - "Lady, a year ago I woke up naked in a Red Death burn pit. We haven't been through much."

Kismet laughs - "Ahhh, I believe the jokes on you, I am no lady. It’s ok, I don’t need your acknowledgment, I know what I know."

Lasarian DM: The original reason for Periwinkle was so I could participate in the excellent RP exchanges here …

Lasarian DM: back to your original programming…

Eilo looks up at “Red Death burn pit.”, and asks, “Is that what happened to you and made you… so much you?”

Easeis - "I don't know you well enough to get into my life story... however..." Easeis trails off...

"Assuming we get what we're looking for in Wyvernen, and then investigate the slavers in Leraizen and the second location that the guard in Pascorel asked us about... I would like to delay our trip to Zelligar's next cache, and instead go to Cantona.

If you do that for me, without prying or hassle. Maybe I'll trust you."

Eilo - “If we get the Aspect back, I would like to go to Greyhawk to investigate it further, but if it is important to you then I say we can go to Cantona. Where is Cantona?”

Easeis - "When the Wyvern's Run river meets the Woolly bay, if you turn north you head to Safeton. If you turn south, you head to Cantona. It is barely more than a day's travel. Assuming we get what we're looking for in Wyvernen, and then investigate the slavers in Leraizen and the second location that the guard in Pascorel asked us about... I would like to delay our trip to Zelligar's next cache, and instead go to Cantona. If you do that for me, without prying or hassle. Maybe I'll trust you."

Koram - "Well I'll be a... By Moradin's giant hairy...chin"

Shifting her weight from one foot to the other Kismet asks, "Do you really think we will catch up with Periwinkle? I want to believe we will but it’s hard to put your faith in someone who would just take off with such a priceless artifact."

Koram - "Me thinks there be a chance we catch up ta the wee halfling sneak, but as ta whether she'll be alive or not..."

Eilo - “I’ve fought by her side, I have little doubt she’ll be alive in twelve hours. She is fierce.”

Koram - "Fair be it then. She did help ta save our skins, and it strikes me odd that she just left after takin' what she wanted. I understand she may be upset over some things we done, but we did save her skin once as well."

"This whole exchange takes me back to what I said afore. Ye can believe or not, but Moradin has shown me there is a reason fer us ta all be together. I told ye afore that I'd help ta figure out from whence yer power comes, if ye chose ta look fer the answer. Cantona is on the maps exactly where ye say, and I'll back ye up if there's a need fer ye to go there. I'd like ta know the why of it, in case the knowin' helps us ta succeed in whatever it is we go to do, but I'll respect yer wishes if ye don't wish ta speak of it."

"Regardless of what we find out 'bout Periwinkle in Wyvernen, why not just continue ta Cantona right away? We'll be right close. On the way back, stop in Castle Sulafrait, trek ta the temple and clear it, then head ta Leraizen or Pascorel first as we see fit. Thoughts?"

Easeis - "I don't like shackles, be they from the law or from slavers. Slavers first."

Koram - "Fair 'nuff. Cantona is yer request, so as far as I'm concerned, yer leadin' us when it comes to it, and it's on yer timeline."

Eilo - “There will always be slavers to contend with. I want to know the truth of this thing we’re searching for, and why it’s being hunted so.”

Koram - "Power, ye flying cupcake, power, and maybe a lost faith, is why it's hunted. Greyhawk is a long journey, and we made promises here. Think we attend ta them first, help Easeis, and then sail to Greyhawk from Cantona. We hide the Aspect in one of the Bags of Holding, and just defend it until then."

Eilo - “It’s all poof and puffery if we don’t find Periwinkle and recover the Aspect. Let’s not pull our taffy before it’s hot.”

Easeis - "You're the one trying to lead us to Greyhawk before we've gotten it you impetuous mosquito."

Eilo rolls her eyes at Easeis. “I want to get our Thing back first, then go to Cantona because reasons, and then I want to go to Greyhawk. We’ll already be on the coast, and boats are fast.”

Eilo looks at Koram. “I’m not saying we break our promises, we’ll come back and attend to these slavers and the requests from Pascorel. If we head back this way, I would like to go further west to Celene.”

Koram - "The knowledge in Greyhawk isn't goin' anywhere. We promised ta help the folks in Pascorel against a threat that is at their door, right now. We already left ta chase down the faceplate and Periwinkle. It would pain me ta let innocents suffer while we chase knowledge for our benefit. Just my thoughts." Koram takes out the candy jar and sets it on the deck for anyone that wants some.

Kismet takes a piece of candy and pops it in her mouth. "Well, I’m with whatever y’all decide, although I think we should give more weight to Easeis’ needs. I have to admit to wanting to earn his trust."

<sighs> "Although I have no idea why."

"Because I'm delightful." Easeis says as dry and deadpan as possible.

Eilo fills her arms with candy and lopsidedly flies to the stern.

Eilo flies back, eyes glazed over and face caked in sugar. “Your words about innocents suffering moved me, Koram. The sooner we save them, the better.” Eilo makes a basket with her skirts and fills it with candy before waddling away.

Koram - "Gonna need ta refill the candy jar..."

Kismet - "Hey Eilo! Save some for the rest of us!" <Smiles at the sight of the tiny faerie trying to carry Koram’s candy>

Eilo takes two of the candies out of her mouth and drops them back in the candy jar. “Mrphhrm!”
Koram
Count
Count

Post by Koram »

Session 40 - 5/12/2023 - Wyvernen, the Last Bastion, What Looks Like a Bad End to Periwinkle, and the Darkling Battle.

Party: Baiz - Dour Warmfury - Mountain Dwarf Fighter/Champion - Mason's and Smith's Tools
Rox - Kismet of the Woods - Wood Elf Druid/Circle of the Land (Forest) - Herbalism Kit
Kor - Koram Orchammer - Hill Dwarf Cleric/Life Domain - Mason's, Cartographer's and Smith's Tools - Herbalism Kit

Saturday the 15th of Coldeven, evening

Start session as the party is taking the longboat journey down river from Pascorel village to Wyvernen. (Discord In Character channel conversation posted at the end of Session 39.)

The trip on the longboat down the Wyvern's Run River is uneventful other than some conversation and planning amongst the companions, along with some information gathering from the group talking with the boatmen. After about 9 hours, the longboat arrives at Wyvernen, which is a small fortified village of a few hundred folk.

Following the information from Periwinkle's Sending and directions from the boatmen, the party heads for the Last Bastion Inn. The inn was built on the remains of an old keep and settling has caused the inn to list slightly to one side. The interior opens into a 50' X 25'common room that is well-lit, busy and noisy. A gnome barkeep, who's name we learn is Addlefinch is friendly enough, although he laughs and pokes fun at Koram's mistrust of the food and ale when the cleric casts a detect poison and disease ritual before eating or drinking anything. After some discussion and convincing, led by Eilo, he admits that Periwinkle asked him to be allowed to stay in the cellar. He gives the group a key and tells them at the end of the hall on the ground floor is a door to a root cellar, and inside that cellar is a locked door which leads down to the basement of the old fort.

The party heads down, passing through an old iron door at the bottom of the stairs into a old stone chamber. There is a collapsed door to the north and another room to the west also has a partially collapsed door to the north. As the group searches the room, they find a small bloodstain on the stones, which appears to be a survivable amount of blood loss, although probably unpleasant. The party heads west, north and then back east through several ruined chambers of the old fort that all appear to be unoccupied. The final large room they hook back to in the NE has a large open iron grate in the floor. Kismet sends CoCo down to scout, but hits the telepathic limit of her communication with her familiar at 100', so she recalls the owl. The party moves the heavy iron grate far off to the side so that no one will have an easy time sliding it back over the opening and then ties multiple ropes together giving them better than 100' of rope to lower into the shaft.

Descending into the darkness, the party eventually exits the shaft into what appears to be a large water cistern of some kind, most likely part of an old stormwater and sewage system. The companions head west and find a small room to the south. Searching the room, they find two daggers and familiar looking armor, Periwinkle's leather, now stained in blood. The party heads back into the tunnel and continues west, following a few spots where they find drops of fairly fresh blood. Ending up in an intersection of multiple tunnels, they hear a distant strange high pitched tittering sound. Eilo manages to find a few footprints made by something small with only 3 toes. The party follows a channel filled with a few inches of water up to a small raised room on the west side of the sewer tunnel. Here, they find a grisly sight. There are ropes, now slack, wrapped around a stone pillar as if someone had just recently been tied up here. The group finds several fingernails that appear to have been crudely cut or ripped out, a couple of fingers, several teeth and a few strips of flayed skin all in a large puddle of blood. The party searches and listens, eventually hearing the high pitched almost cat-like sound again from the south. The group follow the sounds south, then west, and finally hooking back to the north in another drainage tunnel with water in the middle and ledges about 5' up on either side of the channel. The strange almost maniacal laughter becomes clearer as the party spots 3 small dark figures on a stone bridge crossing over the channel to the north.

Eilo can make out some of the high pitched squealing language they are speaking as a twisted version of Sylvan and yells to the party that the strange figures are saying that they should kill the fairy first. Eilo flies over the center of the channel where she can get up to about 20' at the apex of the vaulted ceiling, and then hexes the creature furthest to the NW, that appears to be the one speaking, and then eldritch blasts it. The force and necrotic energy combined spin the creature around, but as it begins to fall, it explodes into a ball of light. Dour, Eilo and Easeis manage to raise their arms to shield their eyes, but Kismet isn't as lucky and the flash momentarily blinds her. Magar points and a fire bolt streaks towards the closest remaining figure, and it flinches as the fire skims across it's shoulder. Kismet casts faerie fire and manages to outline one of the enemies in glowing purple flames. Dour takes advantage of the well lit target, pulling a handaxe from his belt and throwing it in one smooth motion. The handaxe buries into the creature's chest, and it too explodes into a blinding flash of light. This time Easeis is caught off guard and is blinded. The remaining figure, furthest away from the group turns and runs away to the north giggling maniacally and cursing in Sylvan. Easeis, trying to clear his vision, does a quick sidestep hoping to dodge any possible incoming attacks. Koram tolls the dead at the fleeing enemy, but it appears to be unaffected. As the third enemy flees, a fourth charges out of the darkness at Eilo and lands a strike that sends a dark chill through the fairy that she recognizes as necrotic energy. Eilo reacts to the the hit with a hellish rebuke and flames erupt burning her attacker. Eilo shifts her hex to the new enemy, but misses with her eldritch blast, but manages to fly up and out over what appears to be a stilling pool in the middle of the tunnel. As she flies away, the dark critter manages to land one parting strike on the fairy. Magar lines up and sends another fire bolt streaking north and as it hits, the creature disappears in a flash of light. Dour charges forward in pursuit of the fleeing creature and Papi the owl also heads north with the dwarf. Easeis twinspells vortex warp on Dour and Koram, both dwarves vanish and then reappear 90' further north and that much closer to their fleeing opponent. Koram charges forward and tolls the dead, the fleeing creature flinching from the necrotic sound. Magar and Kismet both dash north trying to catch up. Dour advances, throwing another handaxe and striking the fleeing creature in the back, but it keeps running, giggling and swearing in Sylvan. Easeis also charges north. Reaching an intersection where the fleeing creature turned west, Koram turns to follow and tolls the dead once again, but it appears to have no effect this time. The entire party, including the familiars, charges forward trying to catch the fleeing quarry. Eilo dashes and then misty steps, trying to gain a bit more ground. Kismet wild shapes into an axebeak and uses it's extra running speed to gain ground. As the fleeing creature turns north into what appears to be another tunnel or chamber with Dour in hot pursuit, he is surprised as half a dozen enemies pour around the north corner in ambush. The first pair miss Dour as they pass around behind him, but the next three hit him in quick succession, the draining necrotic energy knocking the sturdy dwarf unconscious. The 6th opponent then stabs the downed dwarf for good measure. Papi tries to get close enough to do a flyby. Easeis again casts vortex warp and pulls the unconscious Dour back behind the party's caster that are just now catching up. Koram turns, moving back towards the rest of the party, the holy symbol on his shield flares with light as he channels divine energy from Moradin, a glow surrounding Dour and healing many of his wounds. Koram then turns and calls his spiritual weapon, the glowing hammer appearing next to the closest enemy. The shadowy enemy looks confused because Dour vanished and then gets smashed in the back by the spiritual hammer.

End Session 40 - Top of initiative against the darklings.

No change to total XP : Eilo, Easeis and Kismet : 5,975 - Magar : 5,805 - Dour : 5,825 - Koram : 6,110
Koram
Count
Count

Post by Koram »

Session 41 - 5/19/2023 - Finish off the Darkling Patrol and Let Their Leader Escape with the Aspect of Pelor

Rox - Kismet of the Woods - Wood Elf Druid/Circle of the Land (Forest) - Herbalism Kit --- Piloted by Stel

Tuesday the 18th of Coldeven, 6:02 PM

Start session at the top of initiative against the darkling ambush.

The darklings look about in annoyance since their downed target, Dour, has vanished thanks to Easeis's vortex warp. They look to the only other target close by, Koram. Two of the darklings immediately charge and attack, but one misses completely and the other's attack is deflected by Koram's shield. Eilo hexes the darkling that was just hit by the spiritual hammer and then flies over the heads of the remaining cluster of five enemies and casts word of radiance. One flinches in pain and a second, the one already wounded by the spiritual hammer, explodes in a flash of light. Everyone in the party manages to avert their eyes quickly and no one is blinded. Magar moves north, then misty steps to quickly get even closer before launching a fire bolt into one of the darklings scorching it. The opponent directly below Eilo swings up at her twice, cleanly hitting her both times, and the fairy falls unconscious, spinning out of the air and crashing to the floor. Kismet in her axebeak form charges the closest darkling and cracks it with her heavy beak. Dour stands up, pulling a handaxe from his belt and whipping it into the darkling trying to circle SW behind Koram. He grins at the perfect throw and takes deep breath, his wounds seeming less severe as he feels the effect of second wind. The darkling furthest to the NW moves up to strike at Kismet, missing the axebeak, but a second darkling moves up, landing a hit on the wild shaped druid. Papi the owl does a quick distracting flyby on the darkling directly in front of Koram. Easeis steps forward a bit so he can see Eilo lying on the floor and quickly vortex warps her to the east, just behind the party. Another darkling steps up and hits Kismet, knocking her out of axebeak form, a small portion of the necrotic damage carrying over to her normal elven form. Koram swings his warhammer at the darkling in front of him, but it nimbly dodges the blow. The darkling closest to the party on the north side of the channel isn't as quick when Koram glances over causing his spiritual hammer to strike it, and it explodes in a flash of light. The flash of light catches Dour off guard and he is momentarily blinded. CoCo the owl tries to distract the dark fey to the north of Kismet. The darklings to the west of Koram all disengage and run back to the NW, linking up with the rest of the enemies and away from Easeis and the light streaming from the Torch of M. Since most of the enemies are now clustered in a group to the party's north, Magar takes the opportunity to cast ice knife at the darkling in the center. His knife strikes and shatters, hitting the initial target and two of the other enemies, the one NW of the original target explodes with a flash, blinding Koram. The tall darkling leader swings twice at Kismet, hitting both times, and she falls to the floor as the combination of cuts and necrotic energy knock her unconscious. The dark necrotic energy pushes the druid one step closer to death. Dour stumbles forward, still flash blinded, bumping into Koram and telling his fellow dwarf to push him towards the enemies, not knowing that Koram is also blinking the last flash from his eyes as well. Since Koram doesn't push Dour anywhere, he pushes the heel of his hand into his eyes and clears his vision. Two darklings, seeing the dwarves are trying to clear their vision move forward and attack Dour, one striking but the other not getting a hit past Dour's armor. Easeis twins a witch bolt, striking one darkling but missing the second. The darkling that Eases missed steps forward and slashes Easeis, but he holds concentration on witch bolt. Koram's vision is clearing, but he still cannot see anything yet, so knowing Dour is right next to him, he reaches over and casts cure wounds, healing the other dwarf. He blindly commands his spiritual weapon to strike as well, but it misses. CoCo the owl flies around in confusion since Kismet is unconscious. A second darkling steps towards Easeis, landing a wicked strike, and the arc of electricity connecting Easeis to his target flickers out as Easeis crumples to the ground. Eilo is slowly bleeding out from her wounds. Magar grabs a rock from the ground and catapults it at the darkling that Easeis had hit with with bolt, but the stone flies past its target, smashing into the tunnel wall. One of the small darklings charges Dour from the NW along with the larger leader, but all their attacks fail to cause any damage to the armored dwarf. The remaining necrotic energy slowly eats away at the downed Kismet, slowly pushing her towards death. Dour smashes the enemy to his SW with a crushing hit from his maul and it explodes with a flash, blinding Koram again. As Dour's maul hits the floor, he surges with anger, and rebounds the maul into a backhanded uppercut, striking the darkling leader. The darkling west of Dour swings at him, but misses completely. Papi the owl dive bombs the darkling west of Easeis's unconscious form. Easeis groans in pain, but seems to be doing better than Eilo or Kismet. Koram, still blinded, mentally orders his spiritual weapon to swing at where he remembers a darkling was standing, but it misses. He mutters a quick prayer to Moradin and blindy swings his warhammer where he remembers the enemy leader was attacking Dour, and feels the satisfying crunch of a solid hit. A second later he is hit by a shockwave from an explosion from where the leader was standing, but he smiles as his vision clears and there is nothing but scorched leather armor where the leader once stood. CoCo continues to flutter around in confusion. Darkling steps in to strike at Koram, but misses. Eilo, still down, but holding out. Magar conjures and throws another ice knife, hitting the NW darkling, and the resulting shrapnel catching a second darkling and Dour, while a third enemy ducks aside. Kismet's eyes snap open, her attunement to nature driving off the lingering necrotic energy, allowing her to wake up on the ground. She quickly looks around as she sits up and casts healing word on her closest downed companion, Easeis, waking him from unconsciousness. She then turns and produces a ball of flame in her palm, throwing and striking the closest enemy. Dour steps to the north and swings at a darkling to his east, but misses. Papi swoops in on the same darkling, and Easeis, just sitting up, points and a ray of frost skims by the last enemy, just missing. Koram mentally shifts his spiritual hammer over to the last foe striking it down with a flash of light.

258 XP to everyone.

Kismet casts healing spirit and the green glow of nature glows in the midst of the battered group. Kismet, Eilo and Easeis all pass through the glow, some of their wounds vanishing, but being that everyone is still wounded, Eilo also adds some healing light to help Easeis and Kismet recover.

Short rest.

The group spends a few minutes searching the armor and weapons left behind by the darklings, but they are all regular leather, small daggers and a scimitar. Also find some coin and investigate their masks. The masks appear to be made of mummified skin and have a symbol carved into the forehead that looks like a tentacled or spiked orb with a single circle, possibly an eye, in the center. The leader has a scroll tube sealed with the same symbol. Easeis also recognizes that the symbol is the same as the tattoo that he has behind his left ear. Magar detects magic, and something inside the tube is glowing. Eilo uses her last sending scroll and reaches out to Periwinkle. "In sewers, looking for you, brought cookies, love Eilo." The scroll in the tube is written in arcane Sylvan and appears to be a modified plane shift spell designed to take the reader to the Shadowfell, and is signed by Sethucea at the bottom, which is the name from Koram's holy day prayer vision.

Search the sewers, but find nothing else. As the group begins their short rest, a couple of party members mention seeing torches off in the distance to the west, but they quickly vanish. Easeis casts prestidigitation to clean those up that need it. The beat up party dejectedly heads back up to the Last Bastion, returning the basement key to Addlefinch and getting 3 rooms.

End Session 41 - The party is back at the Last Bastion. No Periwinkle, no Aspect and getting ready to long rest

New total XP : Easeis and Kismet : 6,233 - Magar : 6,063 - Dour : 6,083 - Eilo : 6,333 - Koram : 6,368
Koram
Count
Count

Post by Koram »

Session 42 - 5/26/2023 - Shopping and the Shadowfell

Khaie - Magar - Grey Elf Wizard/School of Evocation - Herbalism Kit ---------------- Piloted by Stel

Wednesday the 19th of Coldeven, 8:30 AM

Start session as the party wakes from a long rest and regroups in the Last Bastion Inn.

The party has decided that they need to pursue the remaining darklings and their leader to the Shadowfell to recover the Aspect of Pelor. The group head out from the Bastion to do some shopping and re-stock before attempting to use the Shadowfell scroll. After picking up a some healing potions, two platinum rings for Koram's warding bond spell, and several diamonds, the group gathers at the inn. Eilo performs the ritual in Sylvan from the scroll and the group shifts to the Shadowfell.

The companions find themselves in a place of darkness, where it appears all color has been removed from everything leaving only shades of grey. They are standing in the bleak wilderness on a circle of plain stone pavers surrounded by pillars of rough dark stone. A moment after the party appears and begins to take in the surroundings, they are ambushed by the familiar forms of darklings. Two of the small giggling dark fey immediately engage with Dour and Koram, but the dwarves react quickly and the darklings don't land any strikes. Dour counterattacks the darkling that engaged him and lands a solid hit with his maul, smashing the darkling in front of him. The party all instinctively avert or shield their eyes, but in this dark place, there is no flash of light, and the darkling simply puffs away into a cloud of ash and smoke. Dour advances on a second foe surging into a second attack, but misses. Easeis twins witch bolt missing the darkling facing Koram, but landing an arc of electricity and shocking Dour's new target. Another darkling steps around from behind a pillar, engaging Magar and striking him with a dagger. The initial hit is just a graze, but almost immediately Magar feels intense pain as necrotic energy, somehow amplified by this dark place, pours into the wound. A fifth darkling emerges from the darkness, steps up to just barely nick Easeis with its dagger, but as with Magar, a powerful surge of necrotic energy flows into the cut. Eilo flies up 20' to get a better vantage on the battle and sees Papi the owl do a distracting flyby on the darkling facing dour. She hexes that enemy and hits it with her eldritch blast, watching as it bursts in a dark cloud. Kismet throws a ball of produced flame at the darkling facing Koram, scorching it, and then quickly calls out a word of healing on Easeis, but it seems less effective than usual. The two darklings now facing Koram both strike at him and one lands a wicked strike, a massive surge of dark energy added to the hit. Magar casts magic missile, two magical darts striking the enemy north of Koram and one striking the enemy to Magar's south. The darkling facing Koram explodes into a cloud of ash, but the second facing Magar is left standing after the hit. Dour strikes the darkling he is facing with his maul, staggering but not killing it. One of the taller darkling leaders steps from the shadows near Kismet, swinging his scimitar twice. Luckily, both strikes miss the agile druid. CoCo dives at the opponent east of Koram, distracting it for a moment. Koram takes advantage of the helpful owl, summoning a spiritual warhammer, which seems dimmer than usual, but still manages to land a hit on the darkling with it. Easeis, peers into the void and imprints the magical pattern for the spiritual weapon into his memory. As the enemy flinches from the spiritual weapon hit, Koram unloads a backhand with his actual warhammer blasting the creature to ash. Another tall darkling charges from behind one of the pillars and swings twice at Dour, landing one hit but missing with the other. Dour stays focused on his original target, landing another solid strike with his maul, smashing it into a cloud of smoke and ash. Satisfied with the kill, Dour takes a deep breath, feeling a bit better as he turns to face the taller enemy. Easeis recalls the magical weave for spiritual weapon and he brings a pair of glowing daggers into existence, slashing the darkling facing him. He then twins mind sliver on the same enemy and the taller enemy attacking Kismet, striking both. Papi dives at the leader facing Kismet. The darkling facing Easeis ignores the floating daggers and stabs Easeis, necrotic energy again causing most of the damage. Eilo moves her hex to the fey attacking Easeis, flies back a bit, and then eldritch blasts it, blasting it to ash. She then glances at Magar and a slightly dimmed healing light covers him, healing him with reduced effectiveness. Kismet tries to hit the tall darkling to her west with produce flame, but misses because the throw is tough with her opponent being so close. She then casts a more powerful healing word on Easeis, but even the more powerful magic has a minimal effect. Magar summons a flaming sphere and rams it into the leader west of Kismet, surprising and burning the enemy. The tall darkling glances back at the ball of flames, but stays in place taking more fire damage to strike at Kismet, landing one of two strikes at the druid. CoCo dives at the tall enemy attacking her mistress. Koram takes advantage of the distraction, moving up to hit the leader with his warhammer, but missing with his spiritual hammer. The second enemy leader lashes out twice at Dour, landing one slash, but again the majority of the damage comes from the insidious necrotic burn that enters the wound. Dour returns the favor with a solid hit from his maul, and quickly downs a healing potion from his belt. Easeis shifts his spiritual daggers over to stab the leader attacking Dour, and then twinspells witch bolt on the two remaining leaders. He misses the one on Kismet, but electricity arcs into the one facing Dour and it erupts into ashes. Papi does a flyby on the last remaining enemy leader. Eilo yells down, "Tell us where the Aspect is or die!!!". Kismet casts heat metal, but holds back the effects to be released if the darkling attacks. Magar does the same with a fire bolt. The enemy leader quickly looks around, and seeing no allies left standing and no easy way to escape, he steps into Magar's flaming sphere and self-immolates. Koram takes stock of everyone's wounds and channels a divine prayer to Moradin which heals Dour, Magar, Easeis and himself from the worst of their wounds.

+250 XP to everyone for Darkling combat

End Session 42 - Combat against the darkling ambush is ended and the group takes in their surroundings.

New total XP : Easeis and Kismet : 6,500 - Magar : 6,313 - Dour : 6,333 - Eilo : 6,583 - Koram : 6,618

Welcome to level 5 for some, but need a long rest to learn new spells. HP, spell slots and class abilities available.
Koram
Count
Count

Post by Koram »

Session 43 - 6/9/2023 - The Hags, Pretty, Smart and Funny, Assign the Party Three Tasks

Khaie - Magar - Grey Elf Wizard/School of Evocation - Herbalism Kit ---------------- Piloted by Stel

Thursday the 20th of Coldeven, 2:50 PM

Start session immediately after the darkling ambush in the Shadowfell teleportation circle.

Eilo casts healing light on Dour, but its effect seems muted. Koram also casts cure wounds, which along with everyone's darkvision, also seems less effective in this shadowy place.

The party hears something off to the west and begins heading that way, the sound resolves into three voices singing in Sylvan. Eilo translates a few verses and it sounds like it is some kind of creepy song about death. The party sees a dim light as they continue west and eventually see three hags, the source of the singing, circled around a cauldron. Eilo begins conversing with them about the area, and they introduce themselves as Pretty, Smart and Funny. They reveal that they saw Mother Aganos and she spoke about flaying a mortal the night before, the group guesses it was poor Periwinkle. The hags also tell her that Sethucea is the mistress of Mother Aganos and that they both reside in a nearby fallen tower. Eilo asks for their assistance in defeating Sethucea. After some squabbling discussion amongst themselves, the hags agree to assist the party, but only if the group is willing to undertake a few tasks for them to prove our worth. The party needs to eliminate threats at three places to the south, a lightwell, graveyard and tower to gain the hags assistance.

The group heads south and fairly quickly comes across an open pit in the ground that is emanating a cold dim light. As everyone spreads out to investigate, a slithering rattle is heard to the east and something large is crashing through the brush in the darkness to the south. Easeis makes out a swarm of skeletal snakes and tries to hit it with a ray of frost, but misses. Papi the owl dives at the mass of dead serpents trying to distract it. A large skeleton, almost 10' tall charges out of the darkness and smashes Kismet, who responds by outlining the skeleton in faerie fire. CoCo flies up into a nearby tree. Magar summons a flaming sphere and rams it into the skeleton from the flank, scorching the undead enemy. Dour lands a solid overhand with his maul and then uses the rebound from the strike to surge into an uppercut which also smashes bits off the huge skeleton. Eilo flies up 20' and lines the skeleton up with the flaming sphere before setting her hex and launching an eldritch blast. The her eldritch blast hit perfectly and with Grasp of Hadar, she flips the large skeleton into the air and drops it right into the flaming sphere, where it crumbles into pieces and burns. Koram heads east towards the swarm of undead vipers, but his toll the dead seems to have no effect. The skeletal snakes swarm over the dwarf, biting through gaps in his armor and a necrotic chill staggering him. Easeis points and an arc of electricity forms between him and the swarm, shattering many of the skeletal snakes. Kismet speaks a healing word at Koram, but has almost no effect at all, and she drinks a healing potion which also seems bland and has a muted effect. Magar rolls his flaming sphere over and slams it into the skeletal snakes and then fire bolts the mass for good measure. Dour step up and crushes some of the swarm with his maul. Eilo shifts her hex and tries to eldritch blast the swarm, but the beam of force misses. Koram shakes off the last few skeletal serpents and manages to smash them with his warhammer, ending the fight. He then casts cure wounds on himself with limited effect.

The companions take in their surroundings and then decide to head SE where they can make out a stone wall of some kind. Following the northern wall around to the east, they discover a gate which leads into a graveyard. Everyone can clearly see another large, ogre sized skeleton shuffling around the headstones. The companions set up outside the gate along the stone wall and back in the brush, then Eilo flies up and drops her hex and an eldritch blast on the undead. Kismet peeks around the edge of the stone wall and casts faerie fire, but it has no effect. Easeis steps out and hits the ogre skeleton with a ray of frost before stepping back out of sight. The large skeleton emerges out of the gate, attacking Kismet, but missing. Dour lands a crushing hit as the skeleton charges past where he was waiting by the outside of the gate. Magar moves a bit and readies a fire bolt and as Papi flies past the large skeleton, he torches its skull and it collapses into a pile of bones. Eilo looks around, but sees no other enemies, and flies up to 20' to scan the area. Koram steps across the opening in the stone wall, so that now he and Dour are flanking either side of the graveyard entrance, and readies toll the dead in case any other enemies show up. CoCo swoops into the graveyard looking for any signs of other movement, and spots another ogre skeleton, which the owl immediately dives past, screeching. Koram hears the screech, peeks around the gate and casts toll the dead, but it seems to have no effect. Another mass of skeletal snakes swarms out of the brush and over Dour getting past his armor and landing multiple bites. The necrotic cold seeps into the dwarf, knocking him unconscious. Kismet tries to cast entangle on the snakes and catches Koram in the area of the spell, but both the skeletal vipers and Koram manage to dodge the effects. Easeis, casts a quick healing word on Dour, having peered into the weave to learn the spell, waking up his unconscious companion. Then he points and a ray of frost narrowly misses the skeletal snakes. Magar readies another fire bolt while waiting for Papi to distract the undead snakes. The ogre skeleton steps into the gate and turns to swing its greatclub at Koram, but only manages to hit the stone wall. Papi dives at the skeletal snakes and Magar unleashes his fire bolt, burning into the swarm. Eilo flies up to 30', focuses her hex onto the ogre skeleton and eldritch blasts it, lifting it off the ground with Grasp of Hadar and dropping it. The undead lands hard on its back, bits of bone scattering from its severely damaged form. Koram steps over to assist Dour, missing with his warhammer, but summoning a spiritual hammer and striking the swarm of undead vipers. Dour regains his feet and hammers his maul down at the skeletal snakes, but still a bit off balance, misses. He centers himself and shrugging off the worst of his injuries as he catches his breath. The skeletal vipers swarm at Koram, biting, but find no gaps in his defenses. Kismet throws a ball of produced flame into the writhing mass of snakes, burning a few. Easeis focuses and then lands a devastating witch bolt into the swarm of undead snakes, the arcing electricity exploding every single remaining skeletal viper. Magar needs to dash forward to be able to get into line of sight on the the skeletal ogre. The huge skeleton stands and tries to reach up and hit Eilo, but she is too high and the skeleton just flails its greatclub in the air. Papi dives at the skeleton, catching its attention just for a second, letting Eilo land another eldritch blast, once again lifting the undead into the air and dropping it. Before it can rise again, Koram points and his spiritual hammer flies over and smashes the skeleton into a pile of inanimate bones.

375 XP each for lightwell and graveyard combats

End Session 43 - Just finished combat in the graveyard and the group takes stock of thier condition and surroundings.

New total XP : Easeis and Kismet : 6,875 - Magar : 6,688 - Dour : 6,708 - Eilo : 6,958 - Koram : 6,993

Everyone is now level 5, but still need a long rest to learn new spells. HP, spell slots and class abilities available.
Koram
Count
Count

Post by Koram »

Session 44 - 7/4/2023 - Special Independence Day Session - Shadowfell Continued

Thursday the 20th of Coldeven, 4:40 PM

Start session immediately after combat in the graveyard against the ogre skeletons and skeletal snake swarms.

The group discusses heading back to the hags camp to take a short rest, but after checking the graveyard a bit more, it is decided to remain within the relative safety of the recently cleared area with stone walls for protection. A couple off less than effective heals are cast and the group manages to rest up for an hour. The party checks over their resources and decides to set out to the NW towards the third location, a small ruined tower just visible off in the distance.

As the companions draw closer to the tower, they hear loud lumbering footfalls coming around the base of the tower and a blackened ogre zombie lurches into view, but appears to just be wandering around the tower and not heading towards the group. The companions look at each other and nod, all attacking at once, everyone getting to act before the undead knows they are even there. Eilo casts hex and eldritch blast, striking the huge zombie, picking it up and dropping it with Grasp of Hadar. Koram casts toll the dead the necrotic sound blackening the zombie further. Kismet tries to outline the zombie in faerie fire, but it has no effect. Dour advances but can't quite reach the enemy, so settles for throwing a handaxe into it before drawing his maul. Papi the owl dives at the creature as it is trying to rise and Magar singes it with a fire bolt. Easeis casts and holds a ray of frost, waiting for the enemy to stand up and present a better target, but as the zombie staggers to its feet, the cantrip still just misses. Just after gaining its footing, the large undead staggers forward and with its momentum lands a crushing hit on Dour. Koram hits the zombie with another toll the dead and moves up alongside Dour. Kismet casts produce flame, throwing it directly into the face of the large undead and dropping it to the ground with its head ablaze.

The party takes stock and within seconds they hear more load footsteps as a second large zombie stumbles into view around the south side of the small tower. Eilo shifts her hex to the new target and tries to surround it with faerie fire, but no outline appears around the undead. Dour looks at the new enemy, squares his shoulders and catches his breath before stepping up and cracking his maul into the large zombie's ribs as he passes by to get behind it. Papi dives at the zombie's head as Magar reaches down to pick up a hunk of the broken stone from the tower. As Magar straightens, he catapults the fist sized rock into the undead ogre. Easeis moves up to flank the enemy, casts witch bolt causing an arc of electricity to connect from him to the undead, shocking it. CoCo flutters around the zombie's head, and the dark ringing of toll the dead washes over the zombie from Koram. Kismet tries faerie fire again, and this time, the enemy is outlined in green fiery light. The first ogre zombie that the party downed suddenly staggers to its feet and narrowly misses Koram with its huge fist. The second undead swings its massive arm, crashing it into Dour, and knocks him off his feet, unconscious. Eilo casts eldritch blast and both beams hit the zombie outlined in faerie fire, lifting and dropping it, but it manages to hold its footing. Although unconscious, Dour doesn't appear to be bleeding out too badly. Papi dives at the zombie with the burned head that stood back up and Magar hits it in the chest with a fire bolt sending it back to the ground with a scorched hole in its chest. Easeis focuses on his witch bolt and electricity surges through the arc blasting the second undead twitching to the ground. Koram casts a weakened heal on Dour, but it at least gets the other dwarf back to his feet.

150 XP each for the zombie ogres.

The group heads back to the hags and presents the grisly tokens taken from the kills. The hags chatter back and forth, finally agreeing that the party just might be able to defeat Mother Aganos and Sethucea, and hand over three healing potions that will work at full potency in the Shadowfell along with a necrotic protection potion. They recommend that the party get moving quickly to the base of a fallen tower and take a back door that will allow them to come back up into a second tower where Mother Aganos and Sethucea have their lair. Mother Aganos is probably already telling Sethucea everything that has happened and the longer we wait, the more time she will have to prepare.

The companions decide they are too battered to continue without a rest, so they head back to the graveyard to try and rest up. The party spreads out and sets a watch. Other than the general creepiness of this plane, nothing disturbs the party as they take turns sleeping. Everyone wakes up feeling refreshed and is able to prepare their new spells. Once everyone is ready, the group sets out towards the Fallen Tower. Once there, they explore the collapsed ground level and find a set of stairs leading down amidst the rubble. Eilo summons a baboon, giant weasel and black bear from the bag of tricks.

Break until evening part of split special session.

New total XP : Easeis and Kismet : 7,025 - Magar : 6,838 - Dour : 6,858 - Eilo : 7,108 - Koram : 7,143

Start evening session as the party descends into the Fallen Tower basement. As the party heads south from the bottom of the stairs and climbs over some rubble, another swarm of undead vipers emerges and attacks. Kismet throws a ball of produced flame right into the middle of the snakes, torching several. The giant weasel bits at the swarm but misses, and then runs away from the swarm, nimbly dodging their opportunity attack. Unfortunately, he runs right into a second swarm and is attacked and killed. The first pile of undead snakes swarms around Easeis, inflicting a few painful bites. Eilo's owl dives at the northern swarm, distracting it for a moment as the black bear attacks, hitting with both its claws and bite. Dour turns and swings his maul at the snakes that attacked Easeis smashing several of them. Koram casts toll the dead, but the undead appear unaffected. CoCo zips by the swarm to the north. The baboon bites the last couple of snakes squirming in the southern swarm and it stops moving. Eilo casts eldritch blast at the north swarm right after CoCo dives past it. Both beams strike the swarm and with the additional necrotic damage from her hex, the northern swarm is eradicated.

The party checks around and it appears that all is clear, so they head south and continue exploring. Another group of skeletal vipers swarms out the ruins and attack Kismet, striking her but not inflicting any necrotic poison. A second swarm appears just as Kismet calls on her druidic powers and turns into a worg. Magar moves to line up on the undead and holds a fire bolt until Papi can fly in to distract the enemy. Dour steps up to attack the north snakes, missing with his first swing, but landing a hit with the follow-up attack. Papi dives at the swarm and Magar's held fire bolt streaks into the momentarily distracted snakes. Eilo's owl dives at the southern swarm. Koram turns and casts toll the dead, but it has no effect. The black bear attacks the distracted southern swarm hitting with both its claws and bite as CoCo the owl dives at the northern undead. Easeis uses twin spell on chromatic orb causing a sphere of acid to fly at both swarms, striking both and dissolving many of the undead vipers. The baboon bites into the undead swarm killing a couple of the snakes. The southern skeletal vipers swarm over dour and manage to sneak in a couple of bites, but no necrotic poison affects the dwarf. Eilo shifts her hex to the northern swarm and casts eldritch blast, the first beam misses, but the second smashes into the center of the remaining vipers destroying them. Kismet, in worg form, bites at the swarm surrounding Dour, tearing into a few of the skeletal vipers. Magar holds another fire bolt, waiting for Papi to dive through. Dour swipes his maul down his armor trying to knock more of the swarm off, but doesn't hit any, then jumps back suddenly letting him get a clear hit in on the remaining skeletal snakes, killing the last of them. The group checks around and it appears they are in the clear again.

The party heads down a set of stairs and sees a room to the north, hearing some kind of scraping noise, and the bear starts growling. Easeis casts hypnotic pattern into the room hoping to lock down any enemies. A skeleton appears and advances on the group. Kismet and Koram move in to attack, but both miss. The bear charges up swiping and missing with its claws, but biting the skeleton. Magar again hold fire bolt until Papi can distract the enemy. Eilo's owl dives at the skeleton as it attacks Kismet, missing. Eilo shifts her hex to the skeleton and hits it with both eldritch blast beams, blasting it into pieces. Eilo flies further into the room and shifts her hex to a second revealed skeleton, also hitting this one with eldritch blast and pulling it forward towards the party with Grasp of Hadar. Papi dives by the second skeleton as it swings wildly at Eilo, missing the agile fairy. Dour charges up and crushes the skeleton with a single wicked overhand of his maul. CoCo hovers near Kismet, waiting for the rest of the group to make room in the cramped ruins. Easeis moves to get line of sight and lands a ray of frost, slowing the third skeleton. The baboon dashes up from the stairs trying to enter the fight. The skeleton advances, slowed by the frost from Easeis, but can't get close enough to reach anyone. Kismet, still in worg form, charges and bites the skeleton, shaking it into pieces.

Since everyone is still in pretty good shape, the party pushes ahead to the north, finding another opening. It is too small to walk through normally, so the group decides on how to best slowly crawl through. It is decided that Eilo, her owl, the baboon and bear will go through first since all but the bear can fit through comfortably. Kismet drops her wild shape since the worg is too large to fit through the opening. Eilo sends her owl in to scout, but it comes right back, having not seen anything to report. Eilo sends it back in and shifts her sense to her owl so she can see through its eyes, but she also can't see anything. Eilo sends the bear in and instructs it to attack any enemies. The bear suddenly growls in pain as it is attacked from all sides in the narrow tunnel. Dour quickly enters behind the bear with Eilo and her owl right behind him. Now they can see that there are large carrion maggots writhing from the walls, floor and ceiling as they are attacked. Eilo is bitten by a few of them, and her owl is killed, but the maggots cannot find any openings in Dour's armor. The companions in the tunnel can also see a larger shambling undead off to the west. Easeis looks into the tunnel and skims a ray of frost along the wall, killing and freezing several of the maggots. Koram rings a toll the dead down the tunnel and a few maggots fall off the ceiling. Magar adds to the attacks, sending a fire bolt skimming down the other wall, burning out the last of the undead worms. The rest of the group crawls into the tunnel, as Dour exits the other side and charges the zombie to the west. As it turns to face him, Dour smashes it with his maul and then reverses the swing crushing the enemy's skull, and dropping it to the floor. The party advances and finds another dark tunnel heading down. Eilo sends the baboon in to investigate, and the party hears a brief scuffle, then a short howl that is quickly cut off. The baboon has apparently been killed as it does not return.

375 more XP each for the additional undead combats.

End Session 44 - Double Independence Day Session - Party is at the dark tunnel heading down to the next basement level.

New total XP : Easeis and Kismet : 7,400 - Magar : 7,213 - Dour : 7,233 - Eilo : 7,483 - Koram : 7,518
Koram
Count
Count

Post by Koram »

Session 45 - 7/7/2023 - Fighting Through the Fallen Tower

Party: Baiz - Dour Warmfury - Mountain Dwarf Fighter/Champion - Mason's and Smith's Tools - Piloted by Koram
Rox - Kismet of the Woods - Wood Elf Druid/Circle of the Land (Forest) - Herbalism Kit - Piloted by Eilo/Stelmarii

21st of Coldeven, 4:32 AM

Extra special guest notes by Eilo - Stelmarii

Well, Easeis’s first action of the night was to insult Eilo’s bear’s fat ass, so that’s how we got rolling. We killed a set of zombies, then we got into a swarm of attacking bones and Kismet decided she was done with that and cast spider climb and now she’s chilling on the ceiling with Eilo. Then we went into a room half filled with putrid slime and a pile of corpses slithered over to say hello and that’s where we ended. And Magar cast his first ever fireball so now he’s all grown up and moving out of the house. And Dour got hit real hard and we all wondered if Las killed Dour while you were at Hamilton, but he’s ok now. Oh, and Las killed all of our owls because Coco timed out and neither Magar nor Eilo has components to cast Find Familiar and someone really likes to point out things like that. Koram did a great job piloting Dour, who critted a bunch of things and almost got dead dead. There, notes!

End Session 45 as the carpet of congealed corpses lurches up out of the pool of slime and engulfs Easeis.

XP Totals : Easeis and Kismet : 7,400 - Magar : 7,213 - Dour : 7,233 - Eilo : 7,483 - Koram : 7,518
Koram
Count
Count

Post by Koram »

Session 46 - 7/14/2023 - From the Fallen Tower to Sethucea's Tower Lair

606 CY - 21st of Coldeven, 8:32 AM

Start session as the slimy carpet of corpses rolled out of the pool towards the party.

Koram manages to ignore the poisonous slime and casts spirit shroud, empowering his warhammer with necrotic energy, then striking the writhing mat of bodies. The blob of corpses swats Easeis with a slimy pseudopod filled with bits of body parts, a second corpse arm striking out at Dour, but missing. The slime doesn't affect the giant hyena and it tears into the mound of bodies. Easeis also is unaffected by the slime, disengages and moves north into the chest deep pool of disgusting thick oozing water. Kismet is poisoned by the slime but manages to cast heat metal on a bit of metal armor floating in the corpse blob, burning the undead abomination. She then hops off the wall into the sludge pool north near Easeis, landing on her feet, but taking a bit of damage from the distance of the fall. Magar backs down the hallway away from the side of the heap of undead, picking up a rock and catapulting it into the undead mass. Eilo is also unaffected by the poisonous cloud around the slime, casts hex and eldritch blast, both beams of force slamming into the slimy corpses. Dour's tough dwarven constitution is completely unaffected by the poison of the undead and he lands two crushing blows with his maul, splattering body parts out of the slimy undead pile. The blob of corpses tries to engulf Koram and Dour, the cleric's shield deflecting the wave of slime and body parts, but the champion is bludgeoned by the wave, also feeling the necrotic energy tearing at his life force. The giant hyena is finally affected by the disgusting poison, attacking the undead, but missing. Easeis casts chromatic orb and a ball of acid burns into the back of the undead slime carpet. Kismet, still poisoned, throws a ball of produced flame into the enemy and also focuses her heat metal to burn the undead further. Magar throws a fire bolt from the hallway, but it steaks past the undead blob into the wall. Eilo casts eldritch blast both beams striking with force damage and the hex striking into the undead mass with additional necrotic energy. Dour, still ignoring the poisonous vapors, swings his maul in a great roundhouse, exploding the mass of slimy undead into bits. Within the splattered remains, the party spots wriggling grubs, just as the giant hyena and Dour both flinch in pain as grubs burrow into their flesh. Koram recognizes them as rot grubs and tells the group that we need to burn them out or they will kill the host. Magar fire bolts Dour where the grubs can be seen digging in, while Kismet uses produce flame on the hyena with Eilo assisting, killing all the parasites. Easeis casts prestidigitation on himself multiple times to clean off all the noxious ooze.

The party quickly searches the slime pool and remnants of the undead, finding nothing of interest.

Koram casts cure wounds on Dour, still frustrated by the reduced power of the healing magic. Dour also uses one of the hag's Shadowfell healing potions to clear up more of his wounds. The group heads north and moves into a more natural tunnel, continuing north. There is a few inches of cleaner water on the floor. Dour and Koram spot some support pillars ahead. The tunnel opens int a natural cavern and in the darkness, the companions find the base of the next tower, Sethucea's Lair. Koram checks the stairs with Dour covering and the rest of the party watching the surrounding dark of the cavern. The stairs and structure above definitely appear to be the remains of a foundation to a fortress tower. Koram hears nothing and slowly advances up the stairs with Dour just behind him, Eilo just above the dwarves, Kismet, Easeis and Magar just a couple of steps behind. The party enters what appears to have been a flooded basement, and moves up the continuing spiral stone stairs. At the top of the stairs is a door. Koram stops and listens, but hears nothing. Dour takes a deep breath feeling a second wind and nods that he is ready to go. Koram casts warding bond on Dour and then opens the door, the dwarves stepping through and setting up shoulder to shoulder.

The door opens into a set of rooms that all appear to be some kind of museum or display area. The group finds three people in the room to the north, but something seems off about them. The pallor of death hangs over them and though they are moving, they are not breathing. The two women and one man initially display no hostility typical of the undead although they are cold to the touch and seem "dead". Eilo flits over and gently pokes the woman in the NW corner of the room, and she open milk white eyes, staring past Eilo, but does not react in any other way. Eilo casts detect thoughts and the rest of the party spreads out, investigating the room and the strange beings. The group notes that all three of the "hollow people" have tattoos exactly like the slaver tattoo on Easeis. Eilo's detect thoughts only seems to find surface thoughts that are blank and entirely serene. As Eilo tries to dig deeper into the woman's thoughts, Easeis touches her hand and Eilo feels a slight flicker of a reaction in the woman's thoughts. Eilo probes deeper while Easeis asks the woman about the tattoo. Suddenly, the hollow woman has a panicked thought and flash of emotions about the tattoo, simply associating it with pain and terror. Eilo then receives an actual thought from the woman, "Something is wrong with me..."

The group has explored the other rooms on this floor and found nothing of interest. Dour and Koram move to the other door in the spiral stairwell. The companions assume this door blocks the stairs leading up to the next floor above, and it is locked. Koram listens at the door, hearing the familiar giggling and rapid sylvan speech of the darklings, and tells the group to be ready. Koram casts guidance on Easeis, and he moves up and deftly picks the lock on the door before falling back behind the dwarves. Dour and Koram again lead the way up the stairs moving into another tower level with a narrow east-west hallway and multiple doorways to the north and south. Dour advances turning into the first southern doorway, immediately coming face to face with a darkling, and using his forward momentum launches a devastating uppercut with his maul, blasting the darkling into a cloud of ash. Eilo's giant weasel rushes into the first doorway to the north, finding another darkling, but missing with its bite. Kismet dashes from the bottom of the stairs trying to get into position to see the enemies. Koram moves east down the hallway spotting a third darkling in the second room to the north and presenting the holy symbol on his shield, tools the dead, the necrotic sound tearing through the darkling and turning it to ash. The darkling facing the giant weasel barely nicks it with a dagger, the additional drain of necrotic energy hurting the weasel more than the actual dagger strike. Easeis climbs to the top of the stairs, advancing and looking for a target. Seeing nothing apparent, he prepares to dodge any unseen attackers. Magar passes leaves the floor with the "hollow people" last, closing and locking the door behind him to keep the potential enemies from following the party, makes it to the top of the stairs and files in behind Easeis in the empty room just south of the stairwell. Eilo flies up to 15' and moves east directly above Dour in the southern doorway. She can see the darkling fighting the weasel and sets her hex on it followed by the first beam of her eldritch blast hitting the enemy square in the chest blowing it into a cloud of ash. She directs the second eldritch blast beam into another darkling that was behind the one facing the weasel and destroys that one as well. Down at the eastern end of the hallway, an ugly hag steps around the corner casting a spell, the giant weasel and one giant hyena falling asleep. The hag, which the group assumes to be Mother Aganos, then steps back around the corner. The second giant hyena runs past Koram, chasing the hag around the corner, but missing as it tries to bite her.

End Session 46 at the top of round 2 against the darklings and Mother Aganos.

XP Totals unchanged: Easeis and Kismet : 7,400 - Magar : 7,213 - Dour : 7,233 - Eilo : 7,483 - Koram : 7,518
Koram
Count
Count

Post by Koram »

Session 47 - 7/21/2023 - Further into Sethucea's Tower

Party: Baiz - Dour Warmfury - Mountain Dwarf Fighter/Champion - Mason's and Smith's Tools - Piloted by Koram

606 CY - 21st of Coldeven, 8:57 AM

Start session in combat against the darklings and Mother Aganos.

Darkling from the east moves up and engages Koram in melee, it's attacks not getting past the cleric's armor. Dour steps up from behind and slides past into the southern room, smashing his maul into the darkling facing Koram as he moves past. The darkling giggles as it strikes the sleeping giant hyena twice, but still doesn't manage to kill it. Kismet throws a ball of produced flame at one of the darklings, but misses. Taking advantage of Dour's solid maul strike on the enemy he is facing, Koram glances back and casts a quick and not very effective healing word on Easeis, then backhands his warhammer into the darkling in front of him and it explodes into ash. Seeing more enemy darklings to the north, Koram steps out of the hallway into the north room. Easeis hold a mind sliver, waiting for Mother Aganos to reappear. Magar steps forward a bit and holds a fire bolt, yelling for the dwarves to try and lure the enemies back into the hallway where they can be hit from range. Eilo flies into the doorway of the northern room just behind Koram, moving her hex and then eldritch blasting the darkling in front of the dwarf. Her second beam tears through the enemy, blasting it into dust. Mother Aganos turns and attacks the second giant hyena that chased her around the corner at the end of the east-west hallway, killing it. Dour quickly follows the hag and giant hyena around the corner just in time to see the hyena poof away to nothing. The dwarf skids to a halt and uppercuts Mother Aganos with his maul and then surging, tries to strike a second time, but misses. A larger darkling leader steps out of the shadows and lunges at Dour, grazing him with a scimitar once and missing with his second swing. Kismet steps up to the sleeping giant hyena and smacks it on the rump to wake it up, then advances up alongside it. Koram follows Dour around the corner, necrotic energy surrounds the cleric's hand and he grabs the darkling leader releasing an inflict wounds which instantly turns the darkling to ash. Magar advances looking for a target, and ends up holding a fire bolt waiting for an enemy to appear. Easeis also advances and holds a mind sliver. Eilo flies around the corner moving her hex to the hag and hitting with both beams of her eldritch blast, Mother Aganos hissing in anger. The giant hyena, now awake, stands up and moves into the hallway but is blocked from advancing further in the crowded hallway, so it nudges the giant weasel waking it up as well. The hag begins casting a spell and suddenly a strange pattern of lights and color appears over a large area. Eilo, Dour and Koram all stop, entranced by the hypnotic pattern of lights. The giant weasel winds its way between the glassy-eyed dwarves and tries to bite Aganos, but misses. Kismet calls upon her druidic magic to enchant her club as a shillelagh and swats Mother Aganos, disrupting her concentration and causing the flickering lights and colors to fade. Koram shakes his head in annoyance at being taken by the hag's spell, and again casts inflict wounds, this time on Aganos. As he grabs the evil witch, dark energy courses from his hand into his opponent and she drops to the floor.

The group clears the rest of the rooms to make sure no other opponents are present on this floor. The party returns to the corpse of the hag and Easeis casts speak with dead. She reveals that she is, in fact, Mother Aganos, she claims Periwinkle is dead, the Aspect of Pelor is with her mistress, her mistress, Sethucea is upstairs, and that her weakness is that she is fond of visitors. Magar casts detect magic to check the hag and the rooms. He finds a spell component pouch and another Shadowfell teleport scroll. The group also finds a pouch of gold on her remains along with tiny daggers and scimitars from the darklings.

The party gathers themselves together and heads up the next set of stairs where they enter an open room surrounded by statues. A songle statue from across the room to the east animates and approaches, asking the party's business and their token of passage. Not sure what it is asking for, the group hands over one of the desiccated fingers from Mother Aganos's pouch causing the statue to yell, "Intruders!", and attacks, crushing the giant weasel. Dour quickly steps up and smacks his maul into the statue knocking off some stone chips. The statue swings back at Dour twice, but neither strike lands solidly enough to hurt the dwarf. Eilo re-focuses her hex on the statue and eldritch blasts, one beam hitting the statue and the other narrowly missing. Easeis casts chromatic orb, but it flies just wide of its target. Magar picks up a rock and catapults it at the statue, but it turns slightly at the last moment and the stone flies past, also barely missing Dour, but striking a statue against the east wall that was just starting to animate. Kismet throws a ball of produced flame, the flames splashing against the statue. Koram calls out to the group about the additional statues that are animating and casts toll the dead, but it seems to have no effect. The giant hyena bites at the statue, but its jaws find no purchase on the stone enemy. Dour swings and lands two crushing hits on the statue, more hunks of rock flying off, but it keeps attacking. It strikes at Dour twice, landing one glancing punch on the dwarf. The statue that was animating to the east finishes and charges Dour, landing a light hit on him. Eilo eldritch blasts the first statue, but both beams fly past the target, striking the floor. Easeis twin spells ray of frost targeting the first statue and the one that attacked from the east. The initial statue freezes in place, no longer animated, but the second ray misses its target. The newly animated statue from the north wall moves in and punches Dour twice, but neither hit is very strong. Magar casts flaming sphere behind the statue to the east and rolls it into the enemy, burning it slightly. Kismet throws another ball of produced flame hitting the eastern statue squarely, scorching it further. Koram takes stock of his wounds and quickly drinks one of the hag Shadowfell healing potions, feeling as if the potion is working at full potency, then casts toll the dead on the eastern statue, causing it to stop moving. Dour chops his maul back and forth at the norther statue, landing one solid hit. Eilo shifts her hex to the northern statue and hits it with both beams from her eldritch blast, but it keeps moving. Easeis squarely hits the now animated southern statue with a ray of frost, cracking off a hunk of it and slowing its movement. Suddenly, a giant snake, more than 20' long comes slithering rapidly down the stairs from the next level and bites the giant hyena from behind. The southern statue advances and swings twice at Koram, landing one solid hit, the dwarf catching the second on his shield. The northern statue facing Dour punches twice at the dwarf, but a bit of dexterity and armor prevent either hit from doing any damage. Magar steps east out of the cover of the stairwell to get a better look at the battlefield, and nimbly disengages past the the enemies and heads to the now clear eastern part of the room to get a good line of sight. He rolls his flaming sphere into the northern statue clipping it with the flames. Kismet hits the northern statue with another ball of produced flame. Koram tries to toll the dead on his enemy to the south, but it resists the magic. The giant hyena turns and bites back at the giant snake, tearing into the serpent. Dour swings twice at his enemy to the north, missing with the first, but using the momentum to turn a full 360 and land a devastating second strike, smashing the northern statue into a pile of rubble. Eilo moves her hex to the southern statue and lands one beam of her eldritch blast, pulling the statue into one of the room's pillars. Easeis again twin spells ray of frost, missing the southern statue, but the second beam does skim across the giant snake. The serpent again bites the hyena, the animals tearing away at each other. The southern statue swings twice at Koram, but both hits just bounce of the dwarf's armor. Magar moves to a better spot to see the fighting and shifts his flaming sphere to the NW a bit, then unleashes a perfect fire bolt striking the southern statue in the center of its back, enveloping its body in fire and, smoldering, it stops moving. Kismet moves up by the stairs, hits the snake with a ball of flame and yells to the group to see if anyone is hurt badly and needs healing. Koram steps to the north and casts toll the dead, necrotic energy creeping deep into the snake causing it to thrash in pain. The hyena clamps its jaws on the serpent and drags it backwards further into the room so everyone has a better angle to attack. Dour takes the opportunity to move up and unloads a massive overhand strike, crushing the snake's spine just behind its head, killing it. The party spreads out behind the pillars waiting to see if more opponents present themselves. After a few minutes, the group makes sure the stairwell doors are closed and tries to take a short rest. The rest is interrupted by Sethucea inviting the companions to come up and talk.

End Session 47 after combat with statues and giant snake, telepathically speaking to Sethucea. Some Discord interactions in here, but each character had their own conversations.

1,333 XP to each character

New XP Totals: Easeis and Kismet : 8,733 - Magar : 8,546 - Dour : 8,566 - Eilo : 8,816 - Koram : 8,851
Koram
Count
Count

Post by Koram »

Session 48 - 7/28/2023 - Continuing Through the Tower and First Combat with Sethucea

Rox - Kismet of the Woods - Wood Elf Druid/Circle of the Land (Forest) - Herbalism Kit - Piloted by Stel

606 CY - 21st of Coldeven, 9:30 AM

Start session after Mother Aganos combat and everyone seemingly involved in separate telepathic discussions with Sethucea.

The party quickly discusses what to do with abilities and spells being somewhat thin at this point and knowing Sethucea is right upstairs. The party decides to fall back downstairs one floor in order to try and recover a bit. Eilo, however, has other ideas and decides to go UP the stairs to talk to Sethucea so everyone else can try and rest up. Koram leads the group back down the stairs in case of attack, hoping his armor will give him the best chance to hold out while the rest of the party descends. As he clears the base of the stairs, he calls out to his companions that there are opponents visible, gargoyles. Koram turns into the first north room as he spots 2 gargoyles lying in wait and lands a hit with his warhammer on the gargoyle to his left, but the monster's stony skin seems slightly resistant to the damage from the blunt weapon. Kismet moves up just behind Koram and throws a ball of produced flame over the dwarf's shoulder, burning the other enemy in the north room. Another gargoyle steps out of the room to the south, right behind Kismet, swinging its stone claws and biting at the druid, somehow missing with both attacks on the unsuspecting druid. Magar steps from the base of the stairs, picking up a rock and catapulting it into the gargoyle that just attacked Kismet, chunks of stone flying at the impact. Another gargoyle appears from the room to the SE and steps up to the east of Koram and Kismet, biting into the back of Koram's shoulder, but its claws raking ineffectively against his armor. The gargoyle west of the cleric also attacks, biting and clawing, but unable to get past the dwarf's shield. A fifth gargoyle appears from the darkness of the room to the SW but can't get past its companion that is blocking the hallway. Easeis casts a mind sliver from the bottom of the stairs, the gargoyle behind Kismet flinching at the psychic damage. Dour sidesteps past Kismet and shoves the gargoyle blocking the hallway to the east back, taking its place in the narrow corridor. As the gargoyle stumbles backwards, Dour lands a wicked roundhouse with his maul on the gargoyle, but like Koram's warhammer, the strike seems less effective than it should be. The gargoyle to the east of Koram bites and claws, hoping to overwhelm the obviously injured dwarf's defenses before the rest of the party can move into place to assist further, but Koram's armor again prevents the attacks from getting through. Koram deftly steps past his attackers, drinking a potion of healing, with minimal effect, and cursing at the stone enemies. Kismet again casts produce flame, striking the same gargoyle she previously hit with another scorching blast of fire. The gargoyle that Dour shoved back in the hallway tries to bite and claw at the fighter, but both miss. Magar steps up just enough to get line of sight into the room and sculpts a fireball to avoid hitting Dour, Kismet and Koram, but engulfing all the gargoyles in flames, the closest one in the hallway falling to the floor, dead. Watching Magar's spell, Easeis peers into the weave and learns fireball. Another enemy steps up replacing the dead gargoyle that was facing Dour, and it slashes its stony talons into the dwarf, tearing a small cut across the dwarf's arm. Easeis casts hypnotic pattern covering the battle with flashing colors and lights, freezing at least one gargoyle that the group can see in place. Dour launches two powerful swings at the gargoyle that slashed his arm, smashing it back and forth with his maul. Koram downs another weakened healing potion and then casts toll the dead on the eastern gargoyle in the north room. Kismet again casts produce flame hurling the ball of fire at the gargoyle that came from the south blasting it with flames and killing it. Magar casts shatter at the opponent facing Dour and sounds cracks the stone opponent and it drops to the floor. The gargoyle closest to Koram advances and tries to bite and claw its way past the dwarf's heavy armor, but again fails to cause any damage. Easeis, hoping Sethucea is still listening to the telepathy she was using in the group's minds, thinks to her, "It's really hard to find your Aspect that you said Mother Aganos hid from you with your pet rocks trying to kill us". Suddenly Kismet is struck in the back by two crossbow bolts from the stairwell, and the nature attuned druid feels the additional burn of poison on the bolts. Easeis hears in his head, "Yes, but I already have the Aspect, Easeis!". Dour attacks the last gargoyle in the hallway landing one solid hit, but missing with his second swing. The gargoyle bites Dour in response, but misses with its slashing claw attack. Koram tolls the dead, the necrotic sound rolling over the gargoyle in his face, dropping it to the floor. Kismet wild shapes into a bear and lunges into the south room to avoid further crossbow bolts. Magar casts a flaming sphere behind the gargoyle facing Dour, ramming the enemy and scorching it. The wizard then steps further into the SW room behind a barrel. The second gargoyle in the north room steps up and lands a bite on Koram , but its claws again skitter off the dwarf's armor. Easeis moves up a bit and twin spells chromatic orb, but both miss the intended targets. Kismet charges from the south room headed for the stairs, but as she enters the stairwell, realizes there is no light above and she cannot see, so she blindly rakes her claws and bites, but nothing is there. She can, however, smell the enemy just up the stairs in the dark. Magar steps out from behind the barrel and peeks down the hall just enough to roll his flaming sphere into the gargoyle in the hallway, and then also hits it with a fire bolt, burning the enemy from front and back. He then retreats to his cover behind the barrel. The gargoyle in the hallway moves away from the flaming sphere and advances north to attack Koram, but misses with both claw and bite. Easeis moves up and yells to Magar to drop the flaming sphere blocking the hallway, and it instantly vanishes as Magar drops his concentration. As the sphere vanishes from the hallway, Easeis rounds the corner, a beam of frost emanating from his hand, killing the gargoyle facing Koram. Just above Kismet in the dark, two crossbow bolts again fly from the dark, this time striking Dour, but his dwarven constitution easily shrugs off the poison. Kismet charges blindly up the stairs and this time both her bite and claws find the enemy, even in the darkness. Koram heads south checking rooms and finds the gargoyle that was disabled by Easeis's hypnotic pattern, and calls to the group to let them know at least one enemy is still alive down here. Kismet arrives at the next floor up, but all is dark and she just bites and claws blindly again, hitting nothing. Magar moves out from behind his cover and into the hallway. Easeis steps further down the hall hoping for a line of sight on the last gargoyle, but not seeing it yet, holds a ray of frost in case any enemies appear. Kismet feels an attack hit her from the darkness and the draining feel of necrotic energy accompanies the hit. Dour hears Kismet's growl and whine from being hit and charges up the stairs to assist the druid. When he arrives at the top of the stairs, he sees Kismet facing an opponent she can't see and tells Kismet to fall back, as he steps forward. The enemy's eyes look disconcerting and have an evil shine to them, so Dour averts his eyes quickly and swings blindly, missing what he now believes to be a medusa. He yells back a warning to the group downstairs. Easeis nods at Koram and together they simultaneously cast a ray of frost and toll the dead at the incapacitated gargoyle dealing heavy damage, but the gargoyle isn't slain and awakens. Kismet ignores Dour's warning to back up and attacks blindly again managing to nip her enemy, but her claws swiping through the air. Magar steps forward just a few feet and catches sight of the gargoyle facing Easeis and Koram, pointing his finger and unleashing a devastating fire bolt into the center of the unsuspecting opponent's back, immolating it. Easeis, this floor now apparently clear of enemies, rus up the stairs, ready to dodge any incoming attacks. Sethucea, the medusa, strikes Kismet with her rapier, the druid reverts back into her elven form and falls unconscious. Dour, eyes still turned away from Sethucea's face, swings twice at the medusa, landing one solid hit, and quickly downing a potion of healing with minimal effect. Koram dashes up the stairs and slides around past and stopping just behind the startled medusa. Kismet, still breathing, appears to be bleeding minimally from her wounds. Magar dashes up the stairs as well and backs up to the south a bit away from the melee. Easeis makes it to the top of the stairs and blindly points a ray of frost in the direction of Sethucea, but misses. Sethucea disengages from melee range and runs up the next flight of stairs. Dour quickly gives a healing potion to Kismet, the weakened effect just barely waking her. The party stops to catch their breath for a moment as Dour quickly heads up the stairs for a peek. He quickly returns saying there are a lot of walls and corners up this flight of steps, and he couldn't see Sethucea at all.

End Session 48

Top of round 9, all gargoyles dead, but now facing the medusa, Sethucea.

XP Totals Unchanged: Easeis and Kismet : 8,733 - Magar : 8,546 - Dour : 8,566 - Eilo : 8,816 - Koram : 8,851

Return to “Adventure Journal <spoilers>”