Been away uh years for the most part? advice requested

Pointyears
Count
Count
Realm: Dungeons & Dragons

Been away uh years for the most part? advice requested

Post by Pointyears »

Hail *NOR/

I have a computer again that can handle DDO and played the other day with Yavool etc. and had a lot of fun. Since I am now free to play and space/Turbine Points are at a premium, I'm trying to get rid of anything I don't really need. Anything that was good but has been far outpowered for example, I'd probably rather get rid of than hang onto on every character.

I have a 6-year-old anniversary cake on one toon, Raider's Reward boxes (2013?) on almost every character, festival tokens, a 10th anniversary golden ticket etc. I also have items that were probably good at one point that are not now.

Any generic advice? I'm sifting through DDO forums as well but don't have tons of time to research let alone play :)

I was thinking I should keep mithral armor and shields in case i want to deconstruct and rebuild them if that's still viable.

I also have things like +1 vorpal khopheshes that are pretty outclasses now and should probably just replace with higher powered weapons as i go along?

Also, any builds that you've found are better or worse compared to years ago? I have a lot of +20 hearts of wood sitting around if i do want to rebuild anyone. I can't even access my main crafter (Pointysticks) until i can scrounge up 1295 Turbine Points for the Half-orc race or it goes on sale. Luckily i noticed they give you 25 TP for every 100 favor you earn now so that's cool (was that a thing before?)

Not sure how often I'll be on but do intend to play more often if possible.

Thanks!
Pointy
Tundrra
Lord
Lord
Realm: Black Desert Online
House: Griffon
Record: http://newoutriders.org/wiki/index.php?title=Tundrra
http://newoutriders.org/member/Tundrra
Lord HC 04.06.2014
Squired SWG 03.21.2004
Recruited SWG 12.12.2003 by Baron Brambt

Re: Been away uh years for the most part? advice requested

Post by Tundrra »

Welcome back:). No ddo answers from me though:(
Tundrra TT:TableTop
*NOR/LD-High Council
Zyera
Lady
Lady
Realm: Final Fantasy XIV
House: Griffon
Record: newoutriders.org/member/Zyera

Post by Zyera »

Welcome back :) I'd try to get in contact with Yavool again, I'm sure he can answer your DDO questions!
Lady & Realm Leader | GW2 - Zyera.4835 | SWTOR - Keywork Legacy

Dregan
Knight
Knight

Post by Dregan »

Welcome back!

With the new random loot system and crafting system, a lot of the items you would save for characters are obsolete. I used to save items that boosted my attributes (Str, Con, etc) but now I can just craft that if needed. You may find items playing now that you will want to save (like I found a belt that is +5 Str and Con at min lvl 7 or 9). With the crafting system, you can make pretty good weapons also.

You mention Mithral armor. When they added PRR and MRR (lowers physical and magical damage) it actually made Mithral armor a negative in a lot of cases. This is because the PRR and MRR values are based on the type of armor (LIght, Medium, Heavy) and since Mithral lowers the armor down one level, it will also lower the PRR and MRR values. You still get the benefit of things like lower spell failure percentage, so there may still be uses for it.

As far as builds, they have been doing a lot of class passes to improve underperforming classes. They just did Monk in the last update, and have also done Barbarians, Fighters, Bards, and Rangers. I believe next on the list is Favored Soul. I know the forums say Warlocks are OP, and I also see that a lot of people like bards using SWF. I just recently leveled a ranger that was fun to play. My son is leveling up a monk now and said it seems better after the changes.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. Hopefully will see you on!

Dregan.
yavool
Lord
Lord
Record: Recruited on: February 13, 2006
Recruited by: Lakasha
Squired on: February 19, 2006
Promoted to Baron/DDO on: April 17, 2006
Promoted to Count/DDO on: July 17, 2006
Promoted to Duke/DDO on: January 27, 2007
Promoted to *NOR/ Lord on: October 14, 2007
Father of the Ramnoth Clan: Oriyen, Adahi, Roselaine, and Norfyre

Post by yavool »

Hi Pointy, welcome back! It's been fun to play with you as of late.

I agree with Dregan with regard to the loot. I have been spending a little bit of time mass-dumping all of my old loot and freeing up spaces on my mules. Also, I have been going through each character and removing a good amount of clickies and situational weapons, instead honing my gear from a less micro level to a more macro level. For example, instead of about 30 heavy picks on Trychel now, I have about 12 (a vorpal set, a smiting set, a ghost touched set, my main damage set, and one or two other main sets).

As always, gear is a lot like playing Tetris, so every few levels it's good to take inventory and upgrade the gear. I usually use a spiral notebook and list every gear slot as well as the list of stats/skills/perks that I want the character to have. These can be broken down as follows:
Armor/Helmet/Necklace/Cloak/Belt/Ring(R)/Gloves/Boots/Ring(L)/Bracers
Stats boost: Strength/Dexterity/Constitution/Wisdom/Intelligence/Charisma
Skills boost: (varies depending on your class/Balance)
Hit Point boost: False life/Vitality
Armor Class boost: Protection/Enhancement bonus/Shield bonus
Defense boost: Sheltering/Dodge/Resistance/Fortification/Spell Resistance
Damage boost: Seeker/Doublestrike/Doubleshot
Etc., etc., etc. :)

There are a *lot* of quests and a ton of XP to be had now, so it becomes a bit like being a kid in a candy store. Getting to level 20 with a non-TR takes no time at all. The 1.9 million/2.7 million/3.6 million scaling of the 2nd and 3rd (and 4th-infinity) TRs adds a bit of a challenge. Also, identifying whether to heroic TR/iconic TR/or epic TR is something to research for each character as well.

The crafting aspects have been revamped and each style is similar but different. :) Researching the gear that you want for your characters is a fun (and necessary) endeavor in its own!

Enjoy!

-yav
Yavool Ramnoth
*NOR/DDO Lord and RL
Pointyears
Count
Count

Post by Pointyears »

Thanks for the advice. those are good!

I've been playing some Epic with my drow Rogue/Fighter (14/6) (making him more heavy repeater/crossbow focused with the stealthy epic destiny - he's almost level 21)... and TR'ed my dwarven fighter into a Human Paladin as i was reading those are pretty good at shield bashing etc. now, so I'm doing bastard swords and shields. He's almost level 6 now.

I notice (and thanks Yav for the heads up) adventure packs are on sale 30% this weekend/week... any input on the following? I think these are the only ones I haven't bought yet...
  • Catacombs (I can skip this or ask for a guest pass and blow through them fast if needed... don't seem to need them for XP anymore)
    Restless isles (anyone run Titan anymore?)
    Temple of Elemental Evil (level 7 heroic / 30 epic) (Wil Wheaton narrates)
    Devil's Gambit (14/ Epic 30)
    Rein of Madness (17 - think i used to run this. crazy internal organ ones right?)
    Harbinger of Madness (15)
    Secrets of the Artificers (raids? 19-20)
    Druid's Deep (17/ Epic 23)
    High Road of Shadows (18/Epic 24)
    Heart of Madness (18/Epic 26)
    Against the Slave Lords (8/Legendary 32? NOT ON SALE)
    Haunted Hall Evenstar (28 Epic only)
Keep in mind I have about 300 turbine points at the moment so not looking to buy them all. seems like I might want to have a little more lower level epics available if there are not a ton of free ones or ones I've already bought? I think I'm not going to get to level 30 for a while so I'm ok waiting on those unless someone says otherwise.

Thanks!
yavool
Lord
Lord

Post by yavool »

To be honest, Pointy, I haven't done too many of the epic quests beyond the Eveningstar ones we did and Thunderholme (which were insanely difficult on EE and pretty cool - thank goodness we had Noobicabra as a guide lol) Of the list you posted:
I do Catacombs for the Silver Flame patronage (to get the city regen) but it isn't much for loot or XP (probably about 20,000 for all seven parts at a time when XP is pretty abundant due to Waterworks, STK, Tangleroot, the Guard Jung one, and the Bloodknuckles one).
I helped create the Restless Isle/Titan raid back in my days on Mournlands, and I believe it still holds the record for longest-to-be-defeated-raid-in-MMO-history. The pre-raid is difficult to short man for several reasons, and the raid itself is challenging enough...especially with the new loot tables, it isn't a high priority (though it definitely had its place in the annals of DDO!)
I did Temple of Elemental Evil once, and it took like three hours to complete. Even with Wesley Crusher from Star Trek narrating it, and the novelty of it being an original D&D module, it wasn't my favorite, as it was long, predictable, and in the end was pretty poor for XP.
I have not done The Devil's Gambit line and don't know anything about it.
The Reign of Madness quests are along the line of of "Delirium" that we used to run (when we would drink the beholders under the table and fight in the weird Xoriat alter plane). Noobicabra really likes this quest line, though I haven't done it. I would be up for dungeon crawling it sometime.
I do not recall ever running Harbinger of Madness.
Secrets of the Artificer came out when House Cannith was introduced. It is nice because it has set of challenge quests akin to the Kobold quest during the Three Barrel Cove events, and has a whole unique set of Cannith Crafting gear and weapons. The end raid give some named items (e.g. Propulsion Boots) that are decent for their level. This is one that you would get to grind for crafting, akin to The Shroud.
Druid's Deep is part of the Eveningstar quests, and if you like the Eveningstar quests, then it is an extension of the Forgotten Realms quests.
High Road is akin to Druid's Deep.
I haven't done the Heart of Madness quests line...
...or the Against the Slave Lords quest line...
..or the Haunted Hall of Eveningstar, but oh my, what a map!
http://ddowiki.com/page/File:Questmap_H ... ngstar.png

Honestly, you have so much XP available and a lot of the main quest lines... gosh, there is Epic VON, Epic, Necropolis (which is L29 epic...I went in there once on Trychel, fought a really cool demon to get my level, and got the heck out because it was *really* hard!), Epic Red Fens, Epic House Phiarlan Carnival (House P), epic Sentinels of Stormreach (House D), epic Three Barrel Cove, and all but what we've already done in Eveningstar.... XP and variety are already in action, so I would say whatever you find intriguing, or after a little research has the best XP or loot!

Regarding XP, here is what the forums say are the best epic XP quests:
Von 3 (Vault of the Night)
Gianthold Tor (Gianthold preraid quest)
Impossible Demands (Menace of the Underdark)
The House of Rusted Blades, with the matron, whatever that means lol (Menace of the Underdark)
The Deal and the Demon (Menace of the Underdark)
Tomb of the Wizard King (Sands)
Spies in the House (Sentinels of Stormreach)
Unquiet Graves (Menace of the Underdark)
with the recommendation to do these on Epic Hard for the maximum XP/minute due to the increased difficulty scaling of Epic Elite.

Also, seed farming for TR Heart Seeds:
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.p ... Seeds-Solo

Hope this helps! It helped me just researching and writing it! lol

-yav
Yavool Ramnoth
*NOR/DDO Lord and RL
Dregan
Knight
Knight

Post by Dregan »

I would pick ones that have both heroic and epic. That way you get the benefit in both your heroic life and epic life. I like the haunted halls of eveningstar but it is only high level epic so doesn't seem worth it. I agree with Yav that Temple of Elemental Evil is pretty mediocre. I've only run Slaver's once when it first came out; I seem to remember enjoying it but you mention it isn't included on the sale.

Of the ones you list, the 2 packs I run the most are probably Druid's Deep and High Road of Shadows. I enjoy both of those, and they are in level ranges where I tend to run them a lot. I can't remember if I have run Heart of Madness. I like Devil's Gambit, but the epic level of the quests are 30 so it would be a while until you get to run them on epic.
Pointyears
Count
Count

Post by Pointyears »

Thanks for the advice. I also need to get TR hearts so it sounds like easiest way is devil assault normal or cannot help challenge
yavool
Lord
Lord

Post by yavool »

Pointyears wrote:Thanks for the advice. I also need to get TR hearts so it sounds like easiest way is devil assault normal or cannot help challenge
It looks like during the last patch, they ninja "fixed" DA on Epic Normal so that it doesn't give 2 of those TR tokens per person per run.

Nevertheless, I am happy to run DA Epic Normal anytime you wish, as I still need 2 supreme shards of power for my GS heavy pick! :smash

-yav
Yavool Ramnoth
*NOR/DDO Lord and RL

Return to “Smuggler's Rest”