Habitica -- RPG for slackers

Hang out, talk, post whatever is on your mind.
bluebutton
Baroness
Baroness
Realm: Guild Wars 2

Habitica -- RPG for slackers

Post by bluebutton »

Started playing around w Habitica. Would love some company (guild? party?) on this RPG'd to-do and habit formation game.

My in game handle is Bluebutton of NOR
*NOR/ BA-NW

Neverwinter--@abluebutton
Main: Krimsn (OP healer)
Alts: Kriket (GWF), Krifin (GF)
Mules: Krindl (SW), Kriplr (TR)

Guild Wars 2--bluebutton.1475
Onyx Ofnor
jara
Duke
Duke
Realm: Neverwinter

Re: Habitica -- RPG for slackers

Post by jara »

I use to have an app like this a while back. I picked it up but we need to figure out how to make a party or guild. If you start one post the info so I can join.
Jara
Capt Kellix
*NOR//DK- Inactive Officer
bluebutton
Baroness
Baroness

Post by bluebutton »

Making a party allows people to quest together which seems like a good start.

Click cog wheel-->site-->api-->copy alphanumeric User ID
Let me know what your User ID is by PM and I'll invite you!
Easy.

Hail *NOR/
*NOR/ BA-NW

Onyx Ofnor
bluebutton
Baroness
Baroness

Post by bluebutton »

Ok. This game has been just about life changing.

I use it to set up things I want to do regularly (daily, weekly, monthly) and set those under the "dailies". Then there are "habits" which are things I just want to reinforce. They can have positive and/or negative values. There's also a to-do list I can create, but I don't use that effectively at this point.

The dailies have been the killer app so far. Completing dailies grants XP, gold, and drops loot. Thus far loot has mostly been pet eggs, hatching potions, and pet food. Uncompleted dailies decrease HP. HP gets refilled by leveling or a health potion. Gold can be spent on in game gear, or you can set up your own rewards. After lvl 15 you can select a class and a Mana bar is added for applying skills.

My dailies at this point are pretty simple, basics of life like taking meds, things I want to do with the kids but slack on like helping my daughter w her speech therapy and reading to my son who doesn't read yet, AND...cleaning my kitchen.

Another feature of the game are challenges. People use real money to buy gems. Gems can be spent on in game gear and quest scrolls, but they can also be uses for player designed challenges as rewards to gain participants in the challenge. I signed up for a challenge that puts a single kitchen cleaning task into my dailies each day. Takes about 10 min to do them. My kitchen is now cleaner than it's ever been. That's a low bar to hurdle, and to me it's unnaturally clean. I'm ambivalent about that, but my husband likes it :)

I haven't quite figured out the quest system. I'm in a party with my brother and we're on our 2nd quest together. Quests provide better XP and gold gain than dailies, as would be expected. But so far it's only been an ok experience. Mostly it's fun to look at the gear my brother has collected and watching him do minuscule damage with his dagger. (I have a hooked shark sword!)

Anyways, this has been a highlight of the summer. I'm sold! And I'd like company. If you do start the game, check out the wiki. The interface is pretty intuitive, but seeing examples of what to put into habits, dailies, to-dos and rewards was helpful.

Obviously, you can game the game, but what's the point?
*NOR/ BA-NW

Onyx Ofnor
Tyrandil
Count
Count

Post by Tyrandil »

All right, I've been doing this game with Bluebutton for a couple of weeks now and I've been sucked into it, too. I've never been this disciplined about doing the little daily chores that keep the house running. As silly as it sounds, there is something motivating about knowing there's gold and XP in it for me every time I put away a load of clean laundry, or every time I take out the trash. And about knowing my little in-game avatar loses a little HP every time I take the elevator at work instead of taking the stairs. I'm hooked. And this is one game Phel doesn't mind me obsessing over :-)
I'm always down for a dungeon!
Ziek88
Baron
Baron

Post by Ziek88 »

Maybe I'll give this another go since it is working so well for you. Rabbit would be pretty happy about a constantly clean kitchen. I tried it when Blue told me about it a bit ago but realized the first daily would be to actually look at the app haha.
Neverwinter: @zyek88
  • Guardian Fighter - Ziek
    Scourge Warlock - Zabbit
Discord: Ziek88#2954
bluebutton
Baroness
Baroness

Post by bluebutton »

I find that it helps that 90+% of my dailies don't take more than 10 min or a few quick touches a day. I don't know that it's awesome for bigger things, but I have plenty of smaller things that are worth getting done.

If you want to join our little party send me a PM with your UserID (some long alpha number string).

Oh and the trick to leveling w a clean kitchen is making a long list of dailies/weeklies like
1) wash dishes
2) put away dishes
3) wipe counter
4) wipe table
5) throw away coffee filter
6) clean coffee maker
7) wipe microwave (monthly)
Then you get gold and XP for every little thing :)

My laundry daily is for washing and drying
But I get a separate check off for folding the laundry
And another if I do an extra load

I'm now shameless bc I'm actually getting things done that I more or less don't do or hate doing.
*NOR/ BA-NW

Onyx Ofnor
bluebutton
Baroness
Baroness

Post by bluebutton »

Ziek, we just finished up a quest and got sweet armor. Join our party and I'll buy a quest for head gear. (In game gold, not real money)

Jara, you too.
*NOR/ BA-NW

Onyx Ofnor
Phelaia
Duchess
Duchess
Record: Recruited 6/12/2013
Squired 7/22/2013
Promoted to Baroness 10/1/2013
Promoted to Countess 2/27/2014
Promoted to Duchess 1/22/2016

Post by Phelaia »

Alright, Blue got me in. I am not sure I am much help though...
Phelaia Fiendline
The original Burninator in Neverwinter
bluebutton
Baroness
Baroness

Post by bluebutton »

Because you're too self-motivated?

That seems to be my brother's excuse :)

Just pile stuff into your dailies -- give yourself credit for reading your sons a book.
*NOR/ BA-NW

Onyx Ofnor

Return to “"The Tavern"”