PvE Swordmaster Conqueror GF

Tyrandil
Count
Count
Realm: Guild Wars 2

PvE Swordmaster Conqueror GF

Post by Tyrandil »

This is a PvE Conqueror build I devised recently, which I would like to offer to the guild to try out. I spent a couple of hours testing it on the preview server - I used Talana as the base, but removed her weapon and armor enchantments - and it seems to perform pretty well.

This build generates pretty good DPS against groups and single targets, while remaining tough and survivable. It also keeps up the [Into the Fray] party-wide buff that we all know and love. (In fact, that's key to its damage.) One thing it does not do -- [Knight's Valor]!

Because of this, this GF really works more like a durable DPS class than like a tank. In a party, I think it would fit better into a DPS slot than trying to be the party's only tank. You'd probably want a traditional GF or a Devotion OP tanking.

Paragon Path
Swordmaster

Ability Scores
Put all discretionary ability upgrade points into STR (for the raw damage) and CON (for the hit points).

Feats
Here are the feats: http://nwcalc.com/index.html#/gf?b=29do ... &h=0&p=smr

Powers
Here are the key powers that make the build work:
  • Weapon Master's Strike
  • Crushing Surge
  • Tide of Iron
  • Into the Fray
  • Line Breaker's Assault
  • Enforced Threat
  • Lunging Strike
  • Knight's Challenge
  • Combat Superiority (remember, when you take the Conqueror feat that buffs it, you only need to put one point into it to get the full benefit -- any additional points are wasted, so save them for something else!)
  • Steel Blitz
    Shield Warrior's Wrath
  • Fighter's Recovery
Boons
I'm going to paint with broad strokes here for the sake of brevity, and also because I'm not 100% sure what the optimal choice in every one of these categories would be.

I generally took offensive campaign boons while I was testing the build on the preview server, and even so, I did not feel too squishy. Emphasizing offense over defense in boon selection is probably the way to go, methinks. Some suggestions that seemed to work well for me:
  • Elvish Fury
  • Rampaging Madness
  • Rousing Warmth (maybe Winter's Bounty would be good, too, but you're already gaining plenty of AP from shielding hits)
  • Feats that boosted power, crit, armor pen, AP generation, combat advantage bonus, stamina, etc.
Gear and Companions
I'm not going to make any suggestions here, mostly because I suspect that anyone who tries this out is going to be respeccing an existing character and not building a new one from scratch. I will say that this build performed well using a 100% defensive GF's gear (Elven Ward, etc.) and without any weapon or armor enchantments.

Playstyle (a.k.a. putting it all together)
Here's what worked well against groups:
  • Weapon Master's Strike
  • Crushing Surge
  • Into the Fray
  • Line Breaker's Assault
  • Enforced Threat
  • Lunging Strike
  • Combat Superiority
  • Steel Blitz
  • Fighter's Recovery
How it works: Into the Fray massively buffs your damage; Line Breaker's Assault does good AoE damage and also buffs your damage resistance; Enforced Threat also does good AoE damage and marks everything, lowering their damage resistance. Weapon Master's Strike, when enhanced with Steel Blitz, does a lot of damage to groups. Cast Fighter's Recovery whenever you have the AP -- you will be hitting so hard, and hitting so many things at once, that every attack will heal you to full. Even your at-will attacks.

Against tough single targets like Frost Giants, I made the following substitutions:
  • Tide of Iron instead of Weapon Master's Strike
  • Knight's Challenge instead of Enforced Threat
  • Lunging Strike instead of Line Breaker's Assault
  • Shield Warrior's Wrath instead of Steel Blitz
The basic idea here is that you can get a LOT of burst damage out of stacking Into the Fray and Knight's Challenge on the same target -- especially when you've also got five stacks of Shield Warrior's Wrath and Reckless Attacker (the Conqueror capstone feat). I think Lunging Strike is a more useful all-around single-target attack than Anvil of Doom, and it certainly generates big damage when you have all those buff powers up. So does Crushing Surge.

Conclusion
I'd love to see people try this out and give some feedback. Go forth and conquer!
I'm always down for a dungeon!
Tundrra
Lord
Lord
Realm: Black Desert Online
House: Griffon
Record: http://newoutriders.org/wiki/index.php?title=Tundrra
http://newoutriders.org/member/Tundrra
Lord HC 04.06.2014
Squired SWG 03.21.2004
Recruited SWG 12.12.2003 by Baron Brambt

Re: PvE Swordmaster Conqueror GF

Post by Tundrra »

I will roll this up late tonight and try it in the morning. I'm used to my GF being on the bottom of the DMG list, Im excited to see my name move up the rankings!

Thanks Tyr for the write up;)
Tundrra TT:TableTop
*NOR/LD-High Council
tornnomar
Duke
Duke
Record: I joined.
And am never leaving.
Knighted, Dec. 21, 2015
Baron, Jan. 31, 2016
Count, Oct 15, 2017
And I can't even count:)

Post by tornnomar »

Awesome!

I have an Iron Vanguard Conq. I wouldn't dare slot Knights Valor! Preview, here I come!
"The two most important days of your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why" -Mark Twain
"Chuck Norris CAN divide by zero"
Ziek88
Baron
Baron

Post by Ziek88 »

I had not thought of running a dungeon or something on preview with the test. If 5 NOR/ folk would be up for it I'd love to give the GF conq off tank with GWF sentinal tank a go. If we do it on preview we don't have to waste a respect resource.

I want to try the GF as an iron vanguard instead of swordmaster. I will set one up on preview tonight after work. With the twisted weapons and some of my speccing I can get up to 18k power in combat as it is. Would be neat to see if I can put that to good use.
Neverwinter: @zyek88
  • Guardian Fighter - Ziek
    Scourge Warlock - Zabbit
Discord: Ziek88#2954
bluebutton
Baroness
Baroness

Post by bluebutton »

I would like to try this too but with a different build for my GWF or healer OP. If we "respec" in preview does that get saved? So I could do that in advance of a run? I think it would be good to try something like this periodically to encourage people to experiment. I know I tend to end up in a "set it and forget it" mode which has its uses but I've been learning a lot reading these build discussions.
*NOR/ BA-NW

Neverwinter--@abluebutton
Main: Krimsn (OP healer)
Alts: Kriket (GWF), Krifin (GF)
Mules: Krindl (SW), Kriplr (TR)

Guild Wars 2--bluebutton.1475
Onyx Ofnor
Ziek88
Baron
Baron

Post by Ziek88 »

bluebutton wrote:I would like to try this too but with a different build for my GWF or healer OP. If we "respec" in preview does that get saved? So I could do that in advance of a run? I think it would be good to try something like this periodically to encourage people to experiment. I know I tend to end up in a "set it and forget it" mode which has its uses but I've been learning a lot reading these build discussions.
Yes, preview will save the character exactly the same as you left it until you decide to delete it and respecs are free on preview. You can even do a race re-roll free if you wanted to. I use it anytime I want to rebuild one of my characters. I have already had 3-4 versions of my GF on preview at 1 time.
    Scourge Warlock - Zabbit
Tundrra
Lord
Lord
Lord HC 04.06.2014
Squired SWG 03.21.2004

Post by Tundrra »

Tundrra wrote:I will roll this up late tonight and try it in the morning. I'm used to my GF being on the bottom of the DMG list, Im excited to see my name move up the rankings!

Thanks Tyr for the write up;)
My play style does not agree, ACK!

I ran two groups this morning, in both instances there were no other tanks (random queue). This being more of a off tank dps set up i will probably have to wait to full premade guild run to make it work. My damage was higher but still no where close to other dps classes. The fighters recovery was great when it was on, but it took to long to refill it between uses:( But again I was the only tank so i was taking more damage then i would be as a off tank.

Due to how much I use the public Queue system I will probably switch back to my taunting/aggro/gaining tank, but i will run a dungeon or two with you first Tyr:)
*NOR/LD-High Council
Tyrandil
Count
Count

Post by Tyrandil »

Ziek88 wrote:I had not thought of running a dungeon or something on preview with the test. If 5 NOR/ folk would be up for it I'd love to give the GF conq off tank with GWF sentinal tank a go. If we do it on preview we don't have to waste a respect resource.
It may not surprise you to learn that I've also been thinking about how to build a Sentinel GWF to complement this Conqueror GF. I am going to port my other GWF, Tyran Redblade, to the preview server to try my ideas out.
Tundrra wrote:My play style does not agree, ACK!

I ran two groups this morning, in both instances there were no other tanks (random queue). This being more of a off tank dps set up i will probably have to wait to full premade guild run to make it work. My damage was higher but still no where close to other dps classes. The fighters recovery was great when it was on, but it took to long to refill it between uses:( But again I was the only tank so i was taking more damage then i would be as a off tank.

Due to how much I use the public Queue system I will probably switch back to my taunting/aggro/gaining tank, but i will run a dungeon or two with you first Tyr:)
I'm sorry to hear about that. I agree, this build is probably not well-suited for playing with PUGs -- the queue system will assume that you're the tank (even though you're really not), and it won't supply another tank for the group.

But I would like to try running a dungeon with you using this build, in a full guild premade. I think it would work well alongside my GF, or Ziek's GF, or Phel's OP.
I'm always down for a dungeon!
Tundrra
Lord
Lord
Lord HC 04.06.2014
Squired SWG 03.21.2004

Post by Tundrra »

I ran my GF with a guild group the other night and was much happier having another tank with me. The first part of the Malabog Castle I was more aoe focused, but then Tyr recommend switching to more 1 on 1 fights and I felt that is where this build shined. I was able to enter knights challenge on the biggest ugly in the group and burn him down fairly quickly allowing the main tank to gather up adds and focus on taking the blunt of the damage. The "into the Frey" helped the group damage as a whole, very few if any deaths that I recall. Since I was not taking damage I didn't ever need "Figters recovery"

All in all I was pretty happy and will keep the build awhile longer:)
*NOR/LD-High Council
Ziek88
Baron
Baron

Post by Ziek88 »

I have now gone the way of the Swordmaster Conqueror.

First test: Lostmauth
Roomba Tank: Ziek88
Chooser of who lives: Blue
Stabby stab: Rain & Udokas
Icepocolypse: Aratech

Second Test: ECC
Roomba Tank: Ziek88
Chooser of who lives: Rain
Stabby stab: Udokas
Slash & Bash: Hector
Icepocolypse: Aratech

Both runs went incredibly smoothly. In both cases it was a group of very strong members so no hard pressure put on the Conq build but ECC is usually a decent stress test regardless.

At-Wills: Swordmaster Strike, Tide of Iron
Encounters: ITF, Enforced Threat, KV
Features: Steel Defense, Enhanced Mark/Combat Superiority. Noticed I needed Enhanced Mark to hold black daggers aggro.
Dailies: Fighter's Recovery, Terrifying Impact (swapped crescendo for black dagger)

Some Screenshot Links
- Feats https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5FLp ... lhORnNyT00
- Character Page https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5FLp ... VdkRnYxclU

Occasionally I noticed enforced threat pop a 100k crit. After these runs I got a lostmauth set and upgraded them to match my seldarine set. I suspect I will swap between the two depending on what I need. Have yet to try out losty set in a dungeon though.
    Scourge Warlock - Zabbit

Return to “Class Builds”