Realm: Guild Wars 2
Record: Recruited 6/12/2013
Squired 7/22/2013
Promoted to Baroness 10/1/2013
Promoted to Countess 2/27/2014
Promoted to Duchess 1/22/2016

Learn the dance: footwork

Post by Phelaia »

So, I am sure we all have some trick up our sleeves in survival. I'll share what I do to end up on the bottom of Immovable Object 9 run out of 10.

Red circles come in 3 sizes: small, medium, and large. Small is a rock from the ceiling. Medium is a hand toss in Grey Wolf or a web on the floor in TOS. Large is a wing flap from a dragon.

CW: side step, side step, side step. Red circles of small and medium sizes can usually be avoided by side stepping. You get 2-3 teleports at most, so save your teleport for large red circles. Sometimes, Icy Terrain can obscure the red circles enough that you or your teammates can't see the red. So even if Icy Terrain is in your normal rotation, for the sake of the team's survival, take it out. Also, if it's a dragon, stand under one of the wings--standing behind it is asking to get whacked in the face.

TR: Always hit from behind, except when it's a dragon, then stand under one of the wings. You get 3 rolls before you're out of stamina, so use your rolls wisely. One roll should get you just outside of a large red circle. As with a CW, side stepping usually gets you out of trouble.

Now, this is my personal favorite: bunny hopping. It is true that when you bunny hop, about 50% of the time, you don't get hit when you're in mid-air. It's cheesy, but it works especially well if you around with practically no damage resistance. So go forth and hop to the rhythm of "one potato, two potato, three potato..." :bunny

:hailnor
Phelaia Fiendline
The original Burninator in Neverwinter
bluebutton
Baroness
Baroness

Re: Learn the dance: footwork

Post by bluebutton »

Oh interesting! I tend to play less squishy characters, so I wrote up my thoughts on movement as a healer OP in the Dev OP thread. Sometimes I stand in the red on purpose. But that's the privilege that comes with wearing armor and not pajamas into battle. :thumb
*NOR/ BA-NW

Neverwinter--@abluebutton
Main: Krimsn (OP healer)
Alts: Kriket (GWF), Krifin (GF)
Mules: Krindl (SW), Kriplr (TR)

Guild Wars 2--bluebutton.1475
Onyx Ofnor
RJC9000
Ally
Ally
Record: 12/14/14 - Recruitment (*cues With Us/Stalwarts Unite/Together We Ride/Comrades*)

5/12/15 - Squired

9/11/15 - Golden Aldobora Tree awarded

(insert date here) - Knighted
Location: Somewhere in the lands of Akaneia, Judgral, Elibe, Magvel, or Tellius...

Post by RJC9000 »

Phelaia wrote: Red circles come in 3 sizes: small, medium, and large. Small is a rock from the ceiling. Medium is a hand toss in Grey Wolf or a web on the floor in TOS. Large is a wing flap from a dragon.
I see the red circles as "GTFO or Die". I suppose that's a muscle memory problem of Mod6, but you should respect the red circles and always give them a wide berth.

[quote="Phelaia"
CW: side step, side step, side step. Red circles of small and medium sizes can usually be avoided by side stepping. You get 2-3 teleports at most, so save your teleport for large red circles. Sometimes, Icy Terrain can obscure the red circles enough that you or your teammates can't see the red. So even if Icy Terrain is in your normal rotation, for the sake of the team's survival, take it out. Also, if it's a dragon, stand under one of the wings--standing behind it is asking to get whacked in the face. [/quote]

I don't think Icy Terrain is too much of an issue if spaced right. The Red AoEs should be under the players, but if you set the ice down where players won't be stepping, then it shouldn't be an issue. Beware of using the CW dodges, since there is some ending lag for using the CW roll (that, or my fingers are too fast). Better pray that you don't need to have an attack ready right after the dodge.
Phelaia wrote: TR: Always hit from behind, except when it's a dragon, then stand under one of the wings. You get 3 rolls before you're out of stamina, so use your rolls wisely. One roll should get you just outside of a large red circle. As with a CW, side stepping usually gets you out of trouble.
TRs are the game's fastest class, with their high movement speed and their long rolls. You can generally walk out of most AoEs unless you need a quick burst of movement. Otherwise, TR rolls are great for their meaty meaty invincibility time.

*whines about coming from a game where walking is underrated*

As for other classes: gap closers (Lunging Strike, Relentless Avenger, Crescendo) can be used as a pseudo dodge, albeit if you can find a target and if you can get over the lack of invincibility frames.
This is a message from Lord Nergal...

TIME TO TIP THE SCALES!

Characters (NWO):
Hector (SM Destro GWF)
Micaiah (SS Thaum CW)
Saint Elimine (DO Righetous DC)
Anri (SM Tact GF)
Mark (Justice Healadin)
tornnomar
Duke
Duke
House: Griffon
Record: I joined.
And am never leaving.
Knighted, Dec. 21, 2015
Baron, Jan. 31, 2016
Count, Oct 15, 2017
And I can't even count:)

Post by tornnomar »

There are certain situations where I slot Deft Strike. Not only useful as an attack, its a great escape mechanism too. get caught? Target an enemy not in harms way and POOF! Your behind them! If you pop stealth target the much smarter ally who moved out of the red circle and join them.
"The two most important days of your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why" -Mark Twain
"Chuck Norris CAN divide by zero"
Phelaia
Duchess
Duchess
Record: Recruited 6/12/2013
Squired 7/22/2013
Promoted to Baroness 10/1/2013
Promoted to Countess 2/27/2014
Promoted to Duchess 1/22/2016

Post by Phelaia »

Anything red on the floor, be it a circle, a cone, or a strip always needs to be respected. It's been that way since Beta.

The problem with Icy Terrain comes when it's dropped directly at the foot of the boss. The boss has red, and the elite enemy casters have red on top of that. When there's an overlay of red circles of multiple sizes with Icy Terrain on top, the melee DPS and the tank would have a hard time seeing just how much red there is. A GWF or a TR has limited options to get out, but a GF or a Paladin has less luck getting out of the way.

A note about finding a target: yes this is hard, but sometimes an inanimate object is a valid target. i.e. those coffins in VT are totally valid targets for your gap closers. Yes, I use Deft Strike sometimes.
Phelaia Fiendline
The original Burninator in Neverwinter
bluebutton
Baroness
Baroness

Post by bluebutton »

Phelaia wrote:Anything red on the floor, be it a circle, a cone, or a strip always needs to be respected. ...but a GF or a Paladin has less luck getting out of the way.
My experience has been that the 360 OP shield provides sufficient coverage to move out of red if necessary. But very frequently, if it's red only temporarily like a dragon wing bat thingy, I can stand in it until it's over. I don't think that'll work in VT bacon, but I haven't tried. The problem is, as I mentioned in the OP thread ,that the shield, while powerful, stops AP gain, encounters, etc.

I generally get out of the way of red just to not take chances, but the OP shield is surprisingly durable.
*NOR/ BA-NW

Neverwinter--@abluebutton
Main: Krimsn (OP healer)
Alts: Kriket (GWF), Krifin (GF)
Mules: Krindl (SW), Kriplr (TR)

Guild Wars 2--bluebutton.1475
Onyx Ofnor
Ziek88
Baron
Baron

Post by Ziek88 »

Guardian Fighters do the dance of the tree. We put down roots and brave the storm.

Extra bit. Blue, give bacon a try one of these days. I bet you can take the hit. Last time I tested it I only lost about 35% HP.

I find it's very similar to what blue said. Often times I am better of just standing in it and shielding than trying to escape. I think a GF is more likely to just stay in than OP though as we can gain AP and do stuff while shielding. I often like to sit in the edge of a persistent circle like a fire pit as it will charge my daily almost instantly.

The one movement mechanic that we use is the jump cast. When moving in to a group of enemies I often do not want to stop moving forward to cast a power so I will cast ITF or Enforced Threat while jumping forward so I can maintain movement and cast the spell. I believe other classes do this as well. CW and Icey Terrain come to mind.
Neverwinter: @zyek88
  • Guardian Fighter - Ziek
    Scourge Warlock - Zabbit
Discord: Ziek88#2954
Tyrandil
Count
Count

Post by Tyrandil »

My contribution to the GF thread was mostly about footwork, so I'll just link to it: http://www.newoutriders.org/forums/view ... 138&t=4940
I'm always down for a dungeon!

Return to “Class Builds”