The Alpha Legacy - "Options"

Tell your stories, post bios, character histories ...
GuardianElite
Realm: RIFT
House: Griffon
Record: Recruited: 11/26/2013
Squired: 12/26/2013
Baron: 3/19/2014
Rejoined NOR as Squire: 5/31/2015
Re-knighted 10/24/2015

The Alpha Legacy - "Options"

Post by GuardianElite »

“I need you now…more than ever….”

She didn’t like being summoned, but knew her brother trusted not even his beloved Exarchs to guard the Throne in his absence. Since the death of his Father, Arcann was now tied to the throne and was unable to manage and maneuver the same ways his Father did when he was alive. Vaylin knew that, it was the only reason she allowed herself to be summoned. Arcann would never bother to come to her even if he didn’t have the Throne and its control over the Eternal Fleet to worry about. Entering the throne room, Vaylin slithered slowly toward him, Arcann looked weathered and aged, the burden of the Empire taking its toll on him. But there was something more and as Vaylin got closer she could feel that weight cascade across the vast room toward her.

As was her normal routine, Vaylin sighed and acted annoyed. Arcann would typically look up and take in his sister as if he just noticed she was there, but something wasn’t right. For the first time in a long time, Arcann kept his head down and his eyes focused on the Eternal Fleet’s control system. This was curious and it made Vaylin even more interested in what she was being summoned for. She watched and waited eventually smacking her lips loudly to try and get a response. Finally, the old part of Arcann, Vaylin remembered looked up acting as if he didn’t know she was standing there.

“I was in the middle of interrogations. I hope this is important, I have not yet ascertained where it is our Mother may have gotten off to.”

Shaking his head Arcann looked back down. This did strike Vaylin as strange, even the passing mention of their wayward Mother almost always got a response, but not this time. Vaylin leaned over looking down at the control panel. Finally, Arcann looked up and seemed to be hiding something as he draped his arm across the screen to hide whatever he was looking at, quickly making an excuse to throw Vaylin off. She wasn’t buying it, but said nothing.

“Maintenance issues. The fleet has taken a beating at the hands of these various Resistance cells…”

Internally, Vaylin smiled. She knew he wasn’t going to say it. Just like she knew Arcann's predilection for pining away about his brother Thexan. It annoyed her. But Arcann would not mention the Alphas or the Coalition or the myriad of new resistance cells that were springing up due to his nemesis' reemergence in the galaxy. Vaylin had not yet taken an interest in Arcann’s obsession with Mrysti Alpha or any of the others. It didn’t interest her. The only contact she had was with the ‘super-soldier’ on Pzob during the invasion and that was brief. It tickled her to no end that it was the very same super-soldier that scarred Arcann horribly and forced him to wear the cybernetic mask as well as a replacement arm.

“I assume you called me here for ‘some’ reason then…I have people to find and information to squeeze…”, Looking up angrily at Vaylin, she quickly added, “…for you of course and for us.”

He sighed heavily and undraped his arm from the screen on the throne for Vaylin to see, which she immediately took interest in. The galactic status of the Eternal Fleet was almost always highlighted in green or blue indicating holding or movement of the fleet, but now Vaylin was seeing some red icons. She stepped back and didn’t say anything, her brow furrowing in concern.

“It’s more than maintenance issues. We may have to put some live bodies on some of the fleet carriers. The resistance is figuring out how to outsmart the droid controls and damaging the fleet.”

Vaylin smiled wickedly as Arcann used the word resistance and before she could stop herself she blurted it out, “Don’t you mean ‘The Hammer’ has figured you out….”

Slamming his hand down on the throne, it actually made Vaylin step back slightly as Arcann looked down again after hitting the throne, “I need…” Vaylin’s face grew skeptical as Arcann looked up at her and changed his tone, “…I mean, I would ‘like’ if you would take an interest in what is going on off-world for a bit and look into this. As you know…I am bound here and unable to leave to handle it on my own. I would you know…if I thought I could.”

It was more than she bargained for, finally Arcann was coming to her for something. For years she listened and watched as the two brothers became the center of the universe for their Father. It wasn’t until after Thexan’s death that they even noticed her. Not that their Father didn’t notice before, but finally she became more useful as one of the three were killed off. Now instead of listening to Arcann pine away about how Thexan would have seen things his way had he not killed him or how Arcann had no choice in the matter; Vaylin was being asked to do something. She waited before answering, just to see if her brother was going to add any additional instruction. Not hearing anything further Vaylin smiled in her sticky way tapping her brother’s shoulder.

“It’s a burden…I know. I so hate it for you, all of this responsibility. The entire Empire is yours to command and it is so hard to leave the confines of this space, even for a moment. I realize that.”, she smiled warmly, “Of course I will look into it for you…for us. I am sure I can find out something and perhaps even deal a blow to our ‘resistance’.”

Vaylin purposefully didn’t say the name as much as she wanted to, just to drive the dagger home a bit. Not hearing exactly what Arcann wanted her to do, she turned to leave, deciding on the long walk to the exit of the throne room that he was giving her free license to do whatever she felt like in regards to his instruction. Vaylin was going to do it her way even if he had said something, but he didn’t need to know that.

At the moment of his mortal death, the Emperor once again phased into the Force; half in and half out of the netherworld. As an actual ‘entity’ of the Force, the Emperor existed on many different planes, but for some reason and unknown to Mrysti or the other Alphas, he was tethered to his mortal plane. None of the Alphas were present for his metamorphosis as it occurred after most of them had gone into hiding. Something happened outside of the normal events that Mrysti and the others were a part of, but all of them felt it and were still feeling the after effects. The Sith Emperor was Valkorian. No one said it, but they all knew. Every being in the Force felt it as the shockwave that emanated from Zakuul rippled out of Wild Space and cascaded across the Galaxy. A message in the Force, that once again the Emperor was free and had been free for the previous five years.

The more important fact for Mrysti who was never overly concerned with the Emperor at all; no being that powerful could hold on to that level of power forever; was that now Arcann had ascended to the Eternal Throne. The War was back on, things were not going to change in that regard, but now the stakes became higher. Arcann, who had up till that point left Karolin and Mrysti alone after Mrysti went back to Zakuul to reacquire her, was now free to use the full power of the Eternal Throne anyway he saw fit. Of bigger concern, Arcann may become so agitated that he would turn his focus back to the Alphas. He was not known for restraint and was incredibly vindictive.

The only saving grace and it explained much to Mrysti after their previous encounter, was Arcann was tethered to the Throne now. It explained why she found him in the throne room, why he kept Karolin so close and why he didn’t leave it to pursue them after Karolin and Mrysti escaped. All of this was new news to Mrysti and the others, who had been in hibernation of five years. Even Karolin who was on Zakuul at the time all the events transpired didn’t even know everything that went on.

Still unaware of what exactly transpired, the Alphas continued to press their attack across the cosmos. Hitting the Zakuul anywhere at anytime and without warning. Always on the move, they were still not ready for full scale galactic war, but now things were about to change. Arcann had the Eternal Fleet, he had the resources necessary to pursue his enemies any way he saw fit. The question remained, would he secure his Empire or would he give in to emotion and pursue his enemies?

--
The droid controller brought Ship EE-0127 of sub-set 32 in line to dock with the Tatooine Star Fortress as the computer on both the ship and the Fortress aligned to bring ship in slowly. Porchia watched from almost a parsec away, her scanners tracking the ship's movement after the resistance captured and realigned its systems. This was a gamble, but the hard part was over. Approaching the Eternal Fleet was always risky, unlike a normal Republic or Imperial fleet, these ships always traveled in great numbers and knew no fear. Droid ships had no fear due to the lack of a humanoid element. But, it also made them vulnerable to attack in that they couldn’t foresee the chaos of a humanoid mind. Plans changed and the droids, though logical could not foresee all options.

They broke the ships systems, left them broken and sent a signal to the nearest Star Fortress of the need for this particular ship to dock for emergency repairs. This was the most tense moment of the whole Operation, this was the moment when they would see if their understanding of Zakuul technology was increasing or decreasing with more contact with them. Porchia bit into her nail bed watching the ship slowly move and finally come to a stop. Derrick looked over and slapped Porchia’s hand away from her mouth.

“Stop. It’s a lovely hand…it would be a shame to lose it…”

The Operation was as important to the Jedi Remnant as it was to the resistance, this would tell all of the scattered forces if there was a way to manipulate the Eternal Fleet. But, it wasn’t the only reason Derrick volunteered to go with Porchia. Karolin was getting on Derrick’s nerves. Since asking Karolin to marry him, Derrick had seen an increase in Karolin's nervous and anxious behavior. He thought asking her to settle down would have a calming effect on her, but it seemed to be having the opposite. Anxious, nervous, antsy; those were the words Derrick used to describe Karolin. She would not sit still and he saw a rise in some of her bad habits again. Some of which he knew she was hiding from him. The drinking and smoking started back up; but that wasn’t the worst of it.

Derrick just didn’t understand her. It seemed Karolin was simply trying to sabotage herself. The first time anything good comes along and she immediately goes into overdrive to destroy it. He was fed up, frustrated and unable to control her and that was the main issue he believed; that Karolin would not be controlled if she felt someone was trying to manipulate her. He decided to give her some space, volunteer to go back out and leave her be. Porchia looked at Derrick annoyingly and put the hand down, her eyes going straight back to the scanner as the screen indicated the ship they were watching had initiated docking procedures. Porchia increased sensor range to watch the ship dock with the adjacent Star Fortress, but was multi-tasking in her mind speaking on what she knew was bothering Derrick.

“It’s her way Derrick. Coming back out here and leaving her alone is NOT what she needs. Trust me, my Aunt Karolin raised me in the Jedi Temple, I know what kind of person she is. You being away from her…”, Porchia smiled sarcastically, “…you’re giving her free license to do whatever she wants. She’s doing it on purpose you know, self-sabotage. It’s what the both of them do.” Porchia was referring to both of her Aunts; Mrysti and Karolin. Derrick frowned and glanced down at the scanner. He had some idea about what Porchia was talking about even before he volunteered to go back out and give Karolin some space. But what else could he do?

“Yea…I kinda figured that. But…I just don’t get it…”

“What don’t you get? Karolin is a force…she is needy and requires constant attention. This is her way of driving you off so she can get it.” Porchia adjusted the controls and sat back looking at Derrick, “Listen, you need to smother her. Even if she gets pissed and tells you to ‘kriff off’ you need to suffocate her in attention and just refuse to go. It’s the only way to reach her. Just…saturate her to where she can’t get away.” Porchia laughed, “You have no idea what you’ve gotten yourself into, do you?”

Derrick smiled weakly, even Porchia saw it. Derrick was out of his depth. When they first met, Karolin tried to explain to Derrick that she didn’t expect anything from him, she tried to let him off the hook, but Derrick wasn’t leaving. At least not until now. Things had changed, Karolin was growing restless and the Jedi in him could sense the darkness in Karolin returning and with a vengeance. Perhaps it was the War starting back up, perhaps it was just being in proximity to so much death and destruction. Either way, Karolin was growing dark and it was driving a wedge between the two of them. Appetites Derrick was never trained to deal with or understand were driving his love away from him and he knew he had to do something. What, he had no idea.

Porchia held up a finger to silence Derrick as he was about to speak. She sat up quickly her eyes watching the screen intently as the ship changed from blue to green on her scanner, “We’re in business. Go aft and tell the engineers to initiate…”

--
As Vaylin entered the quadrant in her personal ship it was to the chatter of the droid controllers of the Eternal Fleet. Very little humanoid intervention was required with the fleet and it was just the way they liked it. People made mistakes, computers made calculations. The blinding flash lit up her forward viewport as the chatter of the droid ships stopped and was suddenly replaced with the final screams of the few humanoids on the Tatooine Star Fortress. The structure going up and exploding in a fiery ball of flame. Pieces floated by and headed toward the surface of the planet as Vaylin frowned. It wasn’t what she expected coming into the system, but it was why she was there. The resistance had struck again, this time taking a Star Fortress as prize and destroying it. Even without using the Force and her brilliant investigative prowess, Vaylin could already surmise what happened based on the final moments of chatter on the comm between the droid ships and the Fortress. The resistance had rigged one of the ships of the Eternal Fleet to explode on command.

It was as good a place to start as any, Vaylin being on a quest to find her Mother previously for the same reasons the Star Fortress just exploded right in front of her. Zakuul information and technology were leaking out and her Mother had everything to do with that. Her Mother as well as few other choice Zakuul traitors. Angling the ship toward the surface she contacted the planetary control system and arranged for docking, flipping her transponder to <off> as she did so.

“Yes…I am just some unknown, run of the mill bounty hunter coming in to get a breath of fresh air and sample the heat. Any docking bay will do….I am not picky…”
Mize, Level 60: Sith Juggernaut
Mrysti, Level 65: Sith Juggernaut
Sicness, Level 60: Sith Inquisitor
Amalgom, Level 60: Imperial Operative
Marstel, Level 60: Bounty Hunter
Karolin (Dark-side), Level 65: Sith Mararder

RTninefoursix, Level 65: Republic Vanguard
RTninefourfive, Level 60: Republic Commando
Karolin, Level 65: Jedi Sage
Porchia, Level 65: Gunslinger
Derrick-veruna, Level 65: Jedi Guardian
Beta, Level 60: Jedi Sentinel
V'ictoria, Level 60: Scoundrel
GuardianElite
Re-knighted 10/24/2015

Re: The Alpha Legacy - "Options"

Post by GuardianElite »

You're crazy...so therefore you are reasonable...

Karolin's perception...

<”The left flank is falling….<bbzzzzttt> N—eed support fo—“>

Karolin looked up from the Knight she buried her saber into clenching her fist. The power of the light was giving way to something else as her head started to hurt, the light in her hand starting to turn a purplish hue. She touched the side of her head, responding to whomever it was.

<”I am on my way just hold them for—“>

<”Aggggrrggh!”>

The response was not encouraging as Karolin flourished her saber taking off at a dead sprint in the left flank's direction. Mrysti lowered her macrobinoculars and sighed watching her sister leap off and take in the direction the call came from. Mrysti also touched the Comm on the side of her face trying to calm her sister. As of late, Mrysti had seen a rise in her sister's level of darkness. Perhaps it was the close proximity of War again, perhaps it was merely her predilection toward darkness itself. In either case Mrysti was not pleased, but saw little she could do but allow her sister to unleash her demons.

<”Karolin! That rank will stand or fall without you! You don’t need to—“>

A sharp crackle told Mrysti that Karolin had turned off the Comm as Mrysti watched Karolin’s lightning quick form disappear into the depths of Belsavis. Mrysti grabbed one of her Commanders pointing the direction Karolin went. It wasn’t out of worry, but the left flank of the Coalition line did need re-enforcement. Karolin may have bitten off more than she could chew, but Mrysti had an entire Army to worry about and the battle with the Zakuul for the re-capture of Belsavis had already gone on longer than she would have liked. Two days longer actually.

“Commander…send the reserve force to the left…”, He smiled at her, knowing full well why she was sending them as he started to move away to issue the order; Mrysti grabbed his shoulder armor turning him back toward her, “And give my sister a wide berth. I have a feeling this has more to do with her than it has to do with the Left Flank….”

--

Rounding the corner, Karolin leapt into the air and landed in the middle of the Zakuul forward line. She exploded like a super-nova, the Force cascading out of her form and all around her into the helpless Knights leading the Zakuul charge. Bodies and pieces of armor flew out from around her. In the five years Karolin was frozen in Carbonite, her dreams were filled of that last faithful charge on Korriban, the last ounce of strength she gave to herself and her family, only to have RT sacrifice himself for nothing. It was part of the place her darkness was coming from, but it was not all of it. Karolin was angry on many levels, tired of War and tired of being hounded. In her mind what was the use of being a Jedi, of having so much power if it was not used to save the ones you loved or your way of life. More of it lately had to do with the Zakuul than she realized and the one sided love affair one of the 'Princes' had with her. That thought made the bile rise in her throat.

Having seen the Jedi jump into his line the Zakuul Knight Commander charged forward in a rageful scream, his saber held up over his head. It wasn’t until his saber came down and he felt all of his momentum stop on a bare hand surrounded by the light of the Force that he looked down to see who the Jedi was. Karolin held the saber at bay by the skin of her hand, the plasma from the Commander’s yellow blade doing nothing to her as she slowly stood. Karolin pushed the Commander and his saber back as she heard the sounds of her own lines re-forming behind her. The troops seemed to ignore the two juggernauts who were now locked in mortal combat. The knight Commander flourished his own blade away from himself and flipped the hilt in his hand smiling wickedly.

“You. I have heard of you…we all have. What a prize you will make once the Emperor learns I have slain one of his mortal enemies.”

Karolin’s eyes were still cast down as she slipped the second saber out from her sleeve. It was malicious intent on her part, the Knight Commander obviously thinking he was dealing with a typical Sage. Karolin had trained with two sabers for most of her young life back at the Temple on Coruscant before the fall and under the tutelage of her lover and friend, Marcus Chase. The thought of Marcus enraged her further as she activated the second blade, its crystal glowing a deep red. The Knight Commander stepped back slightly seeing the second blade emerge from Karolin’s still downcast form as she spun into him with her own rageful scream, her typical verbal retort giving way to the clashing of her twin sabers with the one yellow of the Commander’s.

Rounding the corner herself, Mrysti clipped her saber back to her belt to watch the end of the combat between her sister and the Knight’s Commander. The Darkness was thick around the two and the Knight Commander was fighting a losing battle against a Force he had no idea about or could control. None of these Zakuul knew the full depths of the Light or the Darkness. To Mrysti, they were like children playing around with the Force in some cases. They all talked a big game about Justice and Honor in the Force, but when the chips fell and they faced a true weilder of the Force they all folded like a deck of Sabbacc Cards.

This was not going to end well for him, Mrysti could feel Karolin steeped deeply in the Dark Side of the Force as she seemed to flow endlessly around him. The flash of yellow and red lighting the trees around them both. The Commander thrust inward and launched his hand out to try and Force push Karolin away, who seemed to be saturating him with so many strikes he was completely on the defensive. The hand was severed as she jumped backwards in a flip riding the wave of the Force sent by the unobservant Knight Commander; Karolin landing in a crouch as the Commander's hand came off. She immdeiately stood launching herself and both sabers directly in front of her impaling the helpless Commander with both blades. In a defiant move as she withdrew the blades, Karolin kicked the body away from her while it fell to its knees and spat on the now lifeless corpse.

Breathing heavily, Karolin wiped her brow with the back of her hand still looking down at the Commander she just killed, feeling her sister’s presence coming up behind her. Mrysti said nothing as she stood looking down at the corpse along with her.

“It will never be enough will it…there will never be enough killing to finish this? They will never stop, will they?”,
As Karolin looked up and over at her rather tall sister, Mrysti shook her head 'no'. Mrysti wanted to question the use of two sabers, the intensity at which Karolin had slain one of the Zakuul Commanders. But, it wasn’t the time. Though Mrysti did want to get Karolin off the battlefield. The level at which Karolin had been operating for the past week was obviously taking its toll. Now that the ‘Coalition’ was fully back on its feet and more had joined or re-joined the cause, there was little need to have a loose cannon on the field; much less that loose cannon being her only sister. Mrysti finally spoke, lowly and sternly. There could be no dissention from her decision to send Karolin back to the rear.

“I want you to return to Tatooine. I have this well in hand, there is no need to have us both here any longer and Porchia could use your help.”

Karolin gave her sister a skeptical look. She knew what it was about, Mrysti was worried and Karolin could feel it all over her. But, she didn’t disagree merely shutting both of her sabers down and walking away with a wave of her hand behind her. If Mrysti wanted her gone, who was Karolin to argue.

“Fine. Have it your way. You know where to find me if things go badly….I will check in on the ‘squirt’ once I arrive back home….”

--
Vaylin did not bother to look the part of an ‘average’ run of the mill bounty hunter as she stated on the Comm. Exiting the ramp to her ship, she choose a dress befitting more of a debutant than a hunter moving toward the customs agents and flashing her Zakuul badge which identified her as one of the ‘untouchables’. There was very little time to get the lay of the land, she had read about this planet and knew its place as a haven for those wanting to get lost, but more importantly she knew who kept residence on the planet. Stepping past the customs agents without losing stride she looked as if she knew where she was going as Vaylin took out the Comm to call her agent on the surface.

<”My Lady….this is an unexpected pleasure, I wish you would have told me you were coming I would have—“>

“You would have what??? Hidden away that which I have come to find? Tell me what I want to hear? Give me only that which YOU THINK I will find important? It’s exactly the reason I didn’t tell you I was coming…”, Vaylen paused looking at the Comm, it was voice only as she smiled at the silence her response was causing, “…and how is our little friend? Have you been keeping her company, keeping her in your thoughts? Have you forgotten all about me?” There was a poutiness to her last words as the silence continued.

<”Well n-no, My Lady…<laugh> How could I ever forget about you, or our arrangement.”>

Vaylen sneered as she finally came to a stop to glare at the Comm unit in her hand, “Good, just you remember why I allowed you to escape and be here…among ‘them’. The time has come to pay up and I am calling you in…traitor. That’s what you are right? A traitor, at least as far as they are concerned. You wouldn’t want me to take out all of my frustrations on your family on Alderaan would you? Or tell our little friend who you are truly working for, now would you? Now be a good boy and tell me where I can find her….”

There was a long silence, almost too long. Vaylen started to say something else threatening before the voice on the other end spoke up, “She is on her way back from Belsavis. Mrysti has sent her on leave to ‘assist’ Porchia, but we all know what the real reason is…something is going on with her. I haven’t seen her yet, but I assume as soon as she arrives she will be out somewhere. It’s her way…at least lately, to unwind before taking on any additional assignments…”

Vaylen smiled wickedly as she held the Comm up looking at the blinking green light, the person on the other end waiting on her ‘beck and call’. “Good. Inform me where she ends up. I would like to see her tonight. Perhaps a ‘chance’ encounter. Maybe she is finally ready to listen to reason….”

--
Sitting alone at the table, Karolin raised the glass and looked at the dark liquid inside of it. It was Corellian Brandy, her favorite drink, but even it was not lightening her mood. Not more than 12 hours prior she was taking the life of one of the Zakuul Commanders and now she sat in a bar drinking her favorite beverage. It was hard to fathom that she could go from 0 to 60 and back again so quickly, it made a slight laugh come out of her as Karolin canted her head and smirked to herself taking another sip.

Mrysti was wrong, she was always wrong about Karolin. Even Karolin knew that the darkness was rising within her again, but there was a difference this time. Karolin believed she could control it and had been doing so all along. She didn’t like to be sent away and liked hearing it from her sister even less. As she tilted the glass again, her eyes darted to the doorway. There was a presence she felt, a very powerful presence entering the establishment, but not seeing anyone she averted her eyes going back to her drink.

Slinking quickly inside, Vaylin propped herself up by the bar counter. The first of two would be suitors were quickly warned away by a crazed look in the woman’s eye as Vaylin glared at the two men making them walk away. Her eyes then cast back to her target, the green skinned, blonde vixen who sat alone in the center of the bar, her very aura warning off anyone who would be foolish enough to approach. Vaylin respected that, she had not yet achieved that level of power, the power to attract or dissuade just by a presence. After a moment, Vaylin pushed off the bar and started her approach, cautiously at first, but as she moved she gained a little more confidence not seeing Karolin turn around. It wasn’t until she bent down and was about to speak that Karolin interrupted her with her own words.

“You are extremely crazy to be here…and completely out of your depth….” Karolin turned slightly to look in the slight crazed smile Vaylin was giving her, “What do you want Vaylin? Whatever errand your brother has sent you on, it doesn’t matter…you realize that my sister and I are bent on killing him. And we will…”

Vaylin stood up and gave a feigned look of shock, moving around to Karolin's side, but keeping the look and her hand over her heart, “My…quite a welcome. And no…Arcann didn’t send me. Well…that’s not exactly true, he did…but he gave no specific instructions. I am actually here to see you, I don’t think the two of us have actually had a chance to sit down and speak. Though I have seen you….and certainly heard A LOT about you….” The smile started at her final words a sinister ebbing smile that creeped up and over her face as she spoke the words. Like she knew something Karolin didn’t. Vaylin of course was referring to her brother Thexan and his unhealthy affair with the then frozen in Carbonite Karolin. Karolin shrugged turning away and going back to the drink.

“Whatever you heard, it was most likely true…” Karolin turned to look at Vaylin with her own crazed smile, “Yes. I hate you…and your whole kriffin’ race. And yes…I want to kill you and all of your family in the most grotesque ways possible.” Karolin sat the glass down keeping the glare, “There….good talk. Glad we could get acquainted…now if you will excuse me. Enjoy your stay on Tatooine…” Karolin got up to leave and glared one final time at the still smiling Vaylin, “…and stay out of my way, or you will find out just how dark and twisted I really am….” As Karolin started to move out from the table Vaylin laughed loudly calling after her.

“That’s funny. You see….I want my brother dead as well. So, you and I have more in common than you realize. Well…that and the fact that both of us are not all together sane…I like that about you, you can be reasonable….”

GuardianElite
Re-knighted 10/24/2015

Post by GuardianElite »

Sic Semper Proditores...

Derrick’s Perception…

Hating himself more than anyone could, Derrick disconnected the Holo-comm glad for the moment that he didn’t have to visibly see the person on the other end. Vaylin would have seen straight through him if she was looking at him, even via a holo-comm. It physically hurt to talk to her, not just because he was betraying Karolin, but also because he was being untrue to himself. There were reasons of course. Family was as important to him as it was to the Alphas, but now he was about to become a part of that family. At least he wanted to, it was the reason he asked Karolin to marry him. Now, with the reappearance of Vaylin it seemed like a distant possibility, especially after she so aptly reminded him of his promise.

It happened after the Zakuul started taking tribute from all of the Royal Houses of Alderaan. Almost at the same time the shield towers went up on each of the Core Worlds. Though the Zakuul claimed they were not going to get involved in the internal affairs of the individual planets, they did get into the planetary databases for each system. Almost as if looking for him, Derrick as well as any other Jedi connected to the royal houses were quickly identified. The Zakuul trying to remain prudent for internal threats to their power. Derrick was one of the few that were spared the ‘purge’ some of the others not so lucky. The word between the houses was the Zakuul were taking the Jedi connected family members for ‘re-education’. Most were never seen or heard from again.

While on Zakuul, Vaylin the High Justice for the Zakuul, took an interest in Derrick. Mostly because his background revealed the amount of research he had done on the Alphas. That part was true when he told Karolin. Most everything he told Karolin was true, what he left out were the parts where Vaylin swore him to an oath to the Zakuul and to her personally. It wasn’t under his own pain of death that the oath was sworn to, but that of his family. Vaylin had leverage, leverage that Derrick could not get out from under. After meeting Karolin he almost forgot what it was he was supposed to do for Vaylin. Getting close was part of the plan, but for Derrick getting close was not done maliciously. Derrick was truly in love with Karolin. His mission was not a stretch and totally believable. It was the reason Vaylin chose Derrick and she knew the first time she took him to see Karolin encased in Carbonite what the outcome would be.

In order to get close, Derrick would have to be completely believable and completely in love with Karolin. At the time, Vaylin didn’t know exactly how she would use him, that was before Thexan was killed. All of that changed after his death and Arcann had Karolin moved to his private storage. Suddenly the plan started to come together. Though Vaylin’s mind worked in chaotic ways, she foresaw that Derrick and Karolin would get close and through him, Vaylin could get closer to the Alphas for whatever means she needed. With Thexan out of the way and Arcann on the throne she was free to pursue her own ends. As Derrick disconnected the Comm, he realized most of, if not everything to that point had been a set-up by Vaylin, he was under no illusions as to what part he had to play. Now, it was going to be difficult. The proverbial ‘Cat was out of the bag’ and it would be hard to hide the truth from Karolin. She may sense the deception in him. How she would react was foremost on his mind.

Walking to the landing platform, Derrick wasn’t sure if he should just meet her there or pretend to be non-chalant. Karolin was as crazy if not crazier than Vaylin. ‘What should he do?’ he wondered as the shuttle started it’s decent, any answer could be the wrong one as he slowly walked through the sand to get to the platform. He bit into his nail bed as the ramp descended depositing a very annoyed looking Karolin still reeking from the smoke and fire of the battlefield onto the deck. Derrick smiled at her as their eyes met, Karolin quickly averting hers and walking past him. He let out a sigh of relief, for the moment she wasn’t concerned with him.

“Get out of my way Derrick, I don’t want to hear it. No doubt you were part of this plan to get me back here….” Karolin stopped and turned on Derrick abruptly, though she was only 5’3” Karolin was still an imposing figure as she put a finger in Derrick’s chest, “Just let me know next time you want to talk to my sister about how worried you are concerning my mental health!!! It would be appreciated!”

Throwing his hands up Derrick gave a surrendering look, there was a sadness behind his eyes that had nothing to do with it and it stopped Karolin as he spoke, “I swear…I didn’t say anything to her. I left to join Porchia on the mission because I thought you needed some space…”

Karolin looked in his eyes and stepped back, a strange inquisitive look on her face, “Uh-huh…something is going on. You look different, like you’re hiding something. I can sense it…” She threw her hands up in the same way and began walking again, “It doesn’t matter. I’m home now, you all got your way.” She stopped and turned again this time with a wicked smile, “…and I am going out. I am getting drunk and you are not invited…so kriff off!!” Karolin didn’t notice that Derrick almost seemed relieved that she said that as his body relaxed a little. He watched her stalk off and disappear before taking out his Comm unit.

“She’s going out….I don’t know where, but I have included a list of her favorite spots. Find her yourself….I am done….”

--
Vaylin smiled wickedly at the message, “Oh are you now….we will just have to see about that.” She said to herself after listening to it. As it happened Vaylin chose correctly watching Karolin go into the first place she looked. It would be interesting to watch her work, that level of power; the power to influence those around you just by a presence was something that always interested Vaylin. Her own Mother had it and even in Karolin’s Carbonite form, she could feel it ebb off of her. Entering the bar Vaylin propped herself on the counter and started her vigil….

--
Derrick had to get out, he knew it was the only way. For a moment he thought of returning to Alderaan, but he knew that would be the first place Vaylin would look. There was no safe place, nowhere to run and nowhere to hide. If he went back to Alderaan he would likely die with his family. If he didn’t go back Vaylin would kill them anyway. He considered the truth, telling Karolin everything, but then he didn’t know how she would react. Dying was the last thing he wanted to do and he had no doubt that Karolin would kill him, he was nowhere near a match for her. Not that he would fight her in the first place, he loved her. He would rather have her just kill him in anger than lift a finger toward her, but then who would protect his family. The choices were limited and all of them bad. He sat thinking and finally got up stalking toward the doorway, he was just going to do it. There was no other way. He had to tell the love of his life that he had just sold her out.

--
Turning around Karolin walked back slowly to the table and sat across from Vaylin, her eyes never leaving the jackal like expression. Not for one second did Karolin believe that Vaylin would betray Arcann, but if there was a chance. It was the only thing that made her turn around and go back to the table. Karolin signaled for another drink as she interlaced her fingers crossing her legs one over the other to lean back in the chair, “I’m listening.”

Vaylin did not order a drink instead playing with the empty glass Karolin was formerly using. She ran her finger around the rim looking at it, “What if I told you…that getting Arcann off the throne would be easier than you realize. He’s stuck there you know, all of the Darkness inside, it has made him paranoid…” She sat back and spoke loudly like she was addressing an audience, “…and ME, he doesn't even trust his own sister?!?! I mean really…” Vaylin’s smile threatened to break the creases of her face as she looked at Karolin after the exclamation. Not moving Karolin stayed calm and steady, Vaylin was obviously speaking and moving about in a show for her benefit, Karolin wasn’t going to give her the satisfaction. That disappointed Vaylin.

“Why me? You could have brought this to my sister…my niece, Porchia. Anyone of us could hav—“

Making a pouty face Vaylin sat back in a huff and crossed her arms, “They are all idiots…no offense, but your sister isn’t exactly ‘user friendly’. I doubt I could get within an inch of her without fighting. And Porchia…well, she’s not like us….is she?”

Raising an eyebrow, Karolin really didn’t have a context for that. Porchia was more than capable, but Karolin had no idea what level of not ‘being like’ the two of them Vaylin was referring to. As the drink arrived and Karolin wrapped her fingers around it, she got her answer; in a round about way. Vaylin smirked and sat forward suddenly, laying her hand on Karolin’s other forearm.

“My brother was madly in love with you…you know that right? That’s where I saw you the first time, in his storage chamber. Thexan slept in there….hours and hours on end, just watching you.” Vaylin sat back again and looked off non-chalantly, “I asked him one time why he just didn’t let you out and he replied, ‘because I know she will try to kill me….and you…’. He was under this strange perception that one day you would come around, that you and he would somehow shape and mold the galaxy into whatever you wanted.” Vaylin sighed and finally looked at Karolin, “The boy didn’t know the first thing about women, I tried to explain that you would never forgive him or any of us for the death or your brother…” She paused smiling wickedly, “….or your Son…”

Rage simmered within Karolin at the words as she struggled to control it, the Force allowing her to remain calm as she sat the glass down gently after taking a sip. Her eyes couldn’t lie however as she met Vaylin’s gaze with a tight lipped grimace, “He was right. I do want you dead.”

Slapping the table loud enough to make others in the Cantina look their way, Vaylin sat up again quickly, “See! That’s the level of crazy I am looking for! Here I am…High Justice of the Zakuul, making an offer to help overthrow the Emperor of the Empire and you don’t bat an eye or blink when I mention something so hurtful. You think I could get this same response from Mrysti….or Porchia….??!?!” Vaylin scoffed, “They are not like us, Karolin. They would never understand that sometimes you have to do things, terrible things for the greater good. I know you want to kill me and I don’t blame you, but you are controlling it because what I am offering is of even greater import.”

Karolin shifted, but unnoticeably as she watched Vaylin act out. It was all for the benefit of looking magnanimous, but Karolin was still not buying it, “You haven’t said anything yet, just that you want your brother dead. You haven’t said anything about what you plan to do and still…..how do you need me?”

For all of the acting out, Vaylin was not getting the responses she wanted. It was her plan to somehow manipulate Karolin, trying to break her veneer of calm wasn’t working, she purposefully mentioned Thexan and Karolin's brother as well as her Son to try and illicit a response, all to no avail. But, Vaylin didn’t want to be pushy, she just wanted to plant the seed. Having said enough, Vaylin thought to drive the nail home as she stood suddenly collecting herself.

“I have taken up too much of your time….and all when you were trying to drown your sorrows after being kicked from the battlefield….”

--
Derrick appeared in the doorway just as Vaylin got up to leave, his gaze met Karolin’s as she quickly turned it back to Vaylin, “How could you possibly know that, Vaylin…” Karolin’s eyes went back to Derrick and the expression on his face as she started to get her answer. Derrick looked scared and worried appearing in that doorway; Karolin already getting up with her lightsaber in hand, “Excuse me a moment…I have something I have to do…”

Vaylin watched Karolin move past her and felt the anger already flowing off her in waves. Cocking out a hip, Vaylin watched Karolin close the distance to Derrick and thought about stopping her, then remembered what Derrick said to her on the Comm. Yes, Derrick was ‘done’, but not in the way he thought.

GuardianElite
Re-knighted 10/24/2015

Post by GuardianElite »

“Smelling a trap from outside is easy….it’s from within that’s difficult…”

Mrysti’s perspective…

Making it to the launch pad, Mrysti watched as her sister’s shuttle slowly lifted into the air and rocketed toward the fleet waiting in Belsavis orbit. Not even a goodbye and from that distance Mrysti could feel her sister’s anger and it was palpable until Karolin’s shuttle made it into the upper atmosphere. It wasn’t easy to do, Mrysti didn’t want to send Karolin away, but she felt it was for her own good. Having experience with the Dark Side of the Force it was difficult to control once you were steeped in it and Mrysti could not afford to take chances. It was the source of Karolin’s anger toward her, she had gained a modicum of control over herself, had achieved balance as well as proved it; only to have Mrysti send her away. Mrysti’s decision was not based on trust or on being her sister, it was a tactical decision based on safety; the decision was made as the Commanding Officer of the Coalition. Deep inside it was also made as a worried sibling, Mrysti knew no one was under more pressure than Karolin, so much had happened to her and she was dealing with issues no one else in the family was dealing with. In a way, Karolin was closer to Arcann and Vaylin than any of them could ever hope to be; all due to her connection to her original kidnapper, Thexan.

Through intelligence briefings, Mrysti had pieced together what happened after Korriban; after Mrysti had been pulled away from the edge of the cliff and prevented from watching Thexan slay her sister. Thexan did not kill Karolin, that much she knew from her reemergence, what she didn’t know was what Thexan did next. The young man, apparently enamored of her sister, placed her in his personal storage encased in Carbonite with the sole intention of brainwashing her to become his partner. It was Thexan's full intention to somehow convince Karolin to side with the Zakuul and join him in the conquest of the galaxy. Mrysti had no idea if he may have used some sort of neural device on her while she was in hibernation, no indications so far revealed anything. But in five years, anything could have happened. Most of the records were sealed or destroyed by Arcann after Thexan’s death and Mrysti still had her doubts. Doubts that she could not voice to Karolin for fear of alienating the closest person in her life. Still, the Commander of the Alliance, Mrysti Alpha, could take no chances. Karolin was showing signs of breaking and it could be due to any number of factors.

As she entered the pre-fab building the Holo-image of the planet hovered in the center of the room; more green than yesterday indicating that they were making progress. This was the normal routine, the normal time Mrysti took a break in the battle to receive her daily briefings from her analysts. As the tactical briefing was just ending Mrysti looked toward the door again thinking about her sister. She would call on her once Karolin reached Tatooine, just to see if she was alright. Though she may have made the decision to send her sister away as a Soldier and a Commander, she was still Karolin’s sister and still very much worried in that regard.

“Commander…the SIS briefing will begin in a few minutes…we are just awaiting the arrival of our asset from Zakuul….”

Nearly drawing her lightsaber as the man in Zakuul Knight’s Armor entered the room, Mrysti had to remind herself that they too now had Knight’s on the inside of the Zakuul’s forces. Not everyone supported the direction Arcann was taking his Empire. A fact that was not unlike the turmoil the Sith Empire faced from time to time. The man in Knight’s armor bowed his head reverently toward Mrysti as the holo-screen floating between them changed from Belsavis to a flat panel display of the areas on Zakuul he was responsible for. He began by introducing himself once again and pointed to the display getting straight to business.

“Commander…your time is valuable…and so is mine. So I will not take up too much of it. My assignment was to infiltrate the inner circle of the Zakuul Empire and report on specific movement of key individuals….” The screen moved to a hovering Star Fortress floating over the Tatooine atmosphere, “…General Alpha has managed to destroy the Tatooine Star Fortress by manipulating the Eternal Fleet, we now have limited access to the droid controllers of the fleet and can manipulate them with basic commands. As you can see here, this droid ship is being sent a command to dock with the Star Fortress over Tatooine for emergency maintenance. General Alpha set the ship to detonate once docking procedures were complete and…you see the result…” The Star Fortress exploded on the screen much to the delight of Mrysti as she smiled at the image, “….we on Zakuul are continuing to funnel General Alpha and her slicers as much information on the fleet as we can, however, Arcann’s control from his throne is making that difficult. The codes can be changed with the press of a button, which he does on a regular basis. We need control of that throne in order to get more information. Even a few moments would give us enough information to do significant damage. We know now what it is we are looking for so it wouldn’t take long…” The agent looked up past Mrysti and raised his voice slightly, “The remainder of the briefing is classified as Ultra-secret or above…lower the dampening field please, all those who are not cleared for this information please exit the building…”

Mrysti watched as several of the officers assigned to her exited the building, there was some information that was on a ‘need-to-know’ and some information she requested specifically involving members of the Zakuul hierarchy that was not necessary for those assigned to more tactical assignments. In other words, you didn’t need to have the information to wage a full scale ground war. As the field surrounding the building whined loudly falling into place and the door closed and locked behind those departing as the lights in the room seemed to get dimmer. The agent removed his helmet and pressed closer to the screen as an image of Arcann hovered over and around those in attendance; Mrysti sneered visibly at the floating representation of the new Emperor.

“My Lord…Arcann has made no movements as of late, at least personally, he stays incredibly close to the throne and in control of the Eternal Fleet. It makes what I mentioned previously incredibly difficult, getting information to infiltrate and manipulate the Eternal Fleet. What we have been able to gather is from relay stations and the communication between them and his GEMINI control droid, who possesses an artificial intelligence that far surpasses any droid we have encountered. At first we believed the GEMINI was a call sign for an actual humanoid, the AI is just that sophisticated. We now know the droid was an addition to the fleet control after his father’s death and the communication between it and the relay stations tells us…” The agent paused, his face growing a shade paler as Mrysti leaned forward, “…Rakata, in origin. It is from our galaxy and most definitely acquired at some point from Belsavis. We are still tracking where exactly the droid came from but it is definitely from here.”

Mrysti sat back and slumped slightly, it explained a lot about why the Zakuul attacked Belsavis five years prior and why now they were fighting so hard to try and keep the planet. She looked up raising an eyebrow, “Do we know how long they have had the droid in their possession?”

The agent swallowed hard, he knew his answer was not going to go over well with the Commander, “Five-years…maybe longer. But, all indications lead us to believe that although the droid is Rakata in origin it is not the original unit. It was gleaned from the technology but it is not the original template. As far as we can tell, it is almost a copy of an original droid, we just don’t know where the original droid or the creator is. We are staying on top of it…” Mrysti frowned, waving the man off.

“Continue. I wish to be kept informed as soon as any information on this is available…”

The agent nodded solemnly as the screen made an adjustment, an image of Vaylin started rezzing into existence and floating in the ions above them. “We have seen a lot of activity from her as of late. Not a lot of activity before Thexan’s death, but now she has become Arcann’s de-facto ‘hand’ away from the throne. Though he is unable to leave due to his own paranoia and lack of trust, he has been using Vaylin more and more. But, this is interesting…” The agent flipped the holo-screen to show a series of hyperspace trajectories. “We first encountered Vaylin on Pzob, it was your own brother RT who first fought her in command of one of the Zakuul Legions. We are seeing her now return to that sector quite a bit, she is running the Hutts pretty much autonomously. And without guidance from Arcann, that much we are certain of…” Mrysti raised an eyebrow at that statement smiling slightly.

“So, she doing things behind his back?”

“Well not entirely, we are fairly certain that she is working on her own toward some end involving the Hutts; it was Vaylin after all that brokered the cease fire with the Hutts and it is not strange that Arcann has left her to her own devices involving them…” The screen shifted again, “…but here she is branching out, we see activity on Hoth, Coruscant….Tatooine…”, That made Mrysti sit up as the agent continued, “..to what end we don’t know. She is forming some kind of plan that involves all of those planets. But it is still unclear if she is acting under Arcann’s guidance or her own…” Mrysti waved annoyingly at the mention of Tatooine, something in the Force telling her to back up.

“You said Tatooine…how does that come into play?”

The agent smiled, unaware that Mrysti had just sent her sister back home to Tatooine. “Well, as a matter of fact we have tracked her there now. She is on Tatooine. For what reason we don’t—Commander??”

Mrysti was already up and moving toward the door as everyone in the room shot their eyes toward her. Looking at the Ground Commander she stated as she left the room, “Continue to press the attack, I need to get to Tatooine immediately. Prepare my shuttle for departure as soon as possible….and get my brother on the horn. I will need Marstel for this…” As Mrysti left she felt the pull in the Force, something was going on back home. The fact that the agent mentioned Tatooine and Vaylin in such close proximity to Mrysti sending Karolin back there could not be a coincidence, but she couldn’t see it. Not even in her ability to foresee the future, it was too cloudy to make out anything. But this was no accident and the Force was telling her so.

GuardianElite
Re-knighted 10/24/2015

Post by GuardianElite »

“Where did they all go….”

Samantha’s perspective….

It was loud, so loud the little girl had to cover her ears as she jumped out of bed and looked out of the window. Ships, lots and lots of ships landing outside of her home. Soldiers in armor were pouring out of those ships and running toward her home. This was not good and Samantha knew it. As she ran quickly to the door she was met by her aunt who scooped her up holding her close. Karolin seemed to be crying and she shook visibly as she held Samantha close.

“Come on baby!!! We have to go….and we have to go now…”

Samantha heard the first sounds of battle outside the door as lightsabers and blaster fire erupted nearby. The little girl was scared as Karolin shut the door laying her back against it. Samantha heard the words from her aunt, but could make no sense of them.

“Stupid. I am so stupid!! Force…I have got to get us out of here….”

Looking up at her Aunt, Samantha touched her face and wiped at one of the tears streaking down it, “Where’s Mommy? I want Mommy…”

Karolin gave the little girl a frightened smile, it hid the truth as Karolin forced a smile to try and calm the child, “She’s fine sweetie…she here. We are going to go ok? We are going to go and we will meet her a little later, we just need to—“ Karolin looked at the window of the room moving toward it with Samantha still in her arms. The door to the room boomed loudly as someone or something rammed against it. Whomever was attacking was moving very fast. Another loud slam against it as the door threatened to come off the hinges. Karolin passed Samantha through the window and gestured for the girl to run. “Go baby…run. And don’t look back. Don’t stop running until you don’t hear or see anything!!!” The door boomed again as Karolin screamed at Sam, “GO!!! NOW!!!”

Sam started crying as she climbed up and out of the window, she looked back down at her aunt who was now back inside the room. Karolin gave Sam a look as she turned to face who was coming through the door drawing her lightsaber. The sounds of voices from outside the window drew Karolin’s attention as she moved to the door to confront whomever was coming through.

Running into the desert Sam did as she was told, she ran and she kept running until she couldn’t see anything but the flashes. Her world was on fire and she was alone. Looking back to her home she saw it in flames and sobbed uncontrollably. Taking up the run again, Sam moved to a rock outcropping and sat down to look at the distant lights. What was happening was beyond her and so focused on losing her home Sam didn’t hear the footsteps behind her.

Turning around she looked in the face of a bandaged wrapped individual who snorted her direction. Sam stood up and grimaced defiantly as the large bandaged wrapped person in sandy clothes raised a weapon toward her. It looked like some kind of tool, but Sam couldn’t be sure. She had seen something similar in Porchia’s garage. The Sandperson swiped at her with it as Sam yelped and rolled out of the way.

It was all too much, awakened in the dead of night, thrust out of a window, running for her life for some reason, she had no idea. Sam had enough. As the Sandperson swiped at her again Sam raised her hand up in defiance, wiping her tears away with the other hand. She jerked the tool out of the person’s hand with the Force and sent it sailing in a direction she couldn’t control. But that wasn’t what stopped her from attacking.

Slowly, Sam lowered her hands as the Sandperson, who was shocked to have his weapon retched from his hand by a child, slowly fell to his knees and stared at her in wonder. It was then that Sam saw the rest. They all came, more than a dozen; all of them dressed similarly. All of them watched as the child disarmed one of their own with some unseen power and all of them fell to their knees and worshipped.

GuardianElite
Re-knighted 10/24/2015

Post by GuardianElite »

“We do…what we have to do. Not because we want to, but because that’s what must be done…”

Vaylin’s Perspective….

Karolin didn’t kill him and that was interesting to Vaylin who saw Karolin’s lack of action as a weakness. Watching curiously at the interaction, Vaylin slinked away to a corner and tried to look anonymous. The screaming from the outside of the Cantina could be heard by all and she smiled devilishly to herself that she was the creator of it. It couldn’t have gone better if she had an actual plan to make it happen. Vaylin listened in still smiling as Derrick was taking the brunt of physical and emotional punishment at the hands of his former bride to be. A fact Vaylin was unaware of until that moment.

“You kriffin’ kriffer!!! You kriffin’ lied to me!!! You piece of shit!!”, Derrick took the kick raising his hands up as Karolin slammed him into an adjacent wall, “I should kriffin’ kill you Derrick! Vaylin?!?! Really??? You were with her the whole time and you never said anything?!?!”

He was hesitant to look up, he had never seen this side of Karolin. There was a flame that lived behind her eyes and it burned with an eternal hatred that was directed toward him now. Derrick would have been sad to see it, to know that everything they built together was now gone if he wasn’t in fact now in fear of losing his life. Karolin kicked at him again this time lifting him in the Force and cutting off his air with a choke.

“You deserve to die. My enemy…you are in league with my enemies…the ones who killed my brother and my SON!!!”

Karolin tossed him again, this time to another wall. The throw was so hard it cracked the duracrete of the foundation as Karolin stalked toward him. Derrick heard the snap-hiss of the lightsaber activate before he even looked up. This was it, it was about to be over. And he knew he deserved it. Raising his hands defensively Derrick slumped against the wall and coughed slightly, the blood staining the outside of this shirt. He spoke weakly, but sincerely since it was the last words he would most likely get to say.

“Y-you’re right Karolin…I am a piece of shit. I-I lied to you…I betrayed you and I deserve this. But you don’t know why…don’t you want to know why?”

Karolin lifted the lightsaber, looking down at him as the flames in her eyes lit the outside of her face.

“Nothing. Could justify this. You not only betrayed me…but you betray my family and that….I cannot allow….”

“IT WAS MY FAMILY I DID IT FOR!!! She h-has my family…I had to…I had no choice. But, I love you…I do…I am obligated to them, but I am sworn to you…”

Karolin smiled wickedly as Vaylin got up moving to the door to watch the rest. She could feel it from Karolin a controlled rage, a dark power that she held completely in check. She was going to do it, but she was going to do it not because she was under any pull from her darkness. Karolin was going to kill him because she wanted to, needed to. As the saber came down Karolin spoke in a controlled an even tone, like a rock skipping over a pond.

“I release you from any further obligations….”

The saber cut through Derrick with a sickening hiss and whine as the plasma of Karolin’s blade met his flesh. There was no scream, no grimace from the man who was formerly her lover. As Derrick closed his eyes and met the end, he was resolved and a bit relieved. Now he had no further commitment to anyone. Not Karolin and certainly not Vaylin.

Clapping loudly, Vaylin laughed and moved out of the doorway. Karolin was still looking at his lifeless form coming to terms with what she had just done. The clapping and laughter sealed it, Karolin had enough. Not only of Derrick, but of Vaylin too. She wasn’t making a deal with anyone and suddenly she realized she could trust no one, that perhaps she had been played all along. Madness began to creep into Karolin’s mind. An old friend she had suppressed for so long, calling to her. With it came paranoia. This could have been going on since Korriban, all of it one big conspiracy. And as Karolin slowly turned to face Vaylin, the other woman lost her smile.

“N-now wait a minute Karolin….you don’t think that I—“, Taking a slow step forward toward Vaylin, Karolin’s face showed the signs of her old madness. A wickedly sick smiled ensconced over the top of it. Vaylin, who had her own brand of craziness was not ready for this, as she stepped back raising her hands up, “Stop this! Right now…I did not tell him to come here. He did that on his own.”

Pointing the end of the white plasma of her lightsaber at Vaylin, Karolin spoke on a low gravely tone, “You did. You all did…this was the plan from the start right? I kriff Thexan…I help you all take over the galaxy? But you couldn’t leave well enough alone could you? He dies and you come up with a new plan. YOU HAD ME KRIFF DERRICK AND FALL IN LOVE AGAIN….just to get to me?” Karolin shook her head, “No…now you gotta die. All of you gotta die…”

Vaylin smiled strangely as she continued to back up, “You truly are deranged. You think I could come up with something like that? Put the saber down and lets deal with this…I did have Derrick arranged for you, but it had nothing to do with my Brother…”

“LIAR!!!”

This was now a situation Vaylin could no longer control. It was not a matter of her ability to kill Karolin or to even survive an encounter with her, this was somehow related to a bigger picture and the Force was telling Vaylin to run. Jumping up in a Force leap as Karolin slashed at her, Vaylin landed on the roof and looked down at Karolin, “I am…sorry about all of this. But I am not going to let you kill me. And I am not going to kill you, life is much more interesting now that you are in it. Farewell.”

As Vaylin turned to run away starting her channel to add speed to her movement in the Force she felt something pull her, something she couldn’t get away from. Suddenly Vaylin was in the air and hurled the opposite direction. The old madness finally returning, Vaylin turned to see Karolin approaching her encircled in a purplish haze that charged with tendrils of electricity. She seemed to hover and not walk as she approached.

“Oh no….no, no, no, no, no….you don’t get to walk away. You have me murder my boyfriend, attack my temple and kill Marcus, destroy my ship….no, you and everyone else have to die now….”

As Vaylin landed hard on the ground she gave Karolin a strange look. What was she talking about? “Temple??? Marcus? What? What ship???”

“You did it. You did it all…”

Closing her palms, Karolin started to call on her dark power and Vaylin could feel it coming by the hair standing up on the back of her neck. What had she done? What had she just unleashed? Getting up, Vaylin was not about to stay around and find out as she darted away to the first bolts of deadly lightning arching from the sky above. She pressed on with speed she didn’t know she had jumping into a nearby alleyway and opening her Comm unit suddenly out of breath.

“A-arcann…I may have done something…something bad. I need you…NOW!!”

GuardianElite
Re-knighted 10/24/2015

Post by GuardianElite »

“The Force is without time…it flows in infinite patterns righting itself as it sees fit…”

Oricon

Abandoned by both the Republic and the Empire, Oricon was now a ghost planet, more so after the Zakuul invaded. Even the Republic and Imperial troopers who were left behind after all of the unpleasantness were gone now. There was literally no one there, no one except the one who was meant to remain; abandoned by both factions.

Former Dread Master Calphayus was the most deadly of all the Dread Masters, he controlled time and space in the Force. But, as he came to realize upon their utter defeat, he controlled nothing. He was merely a bystander to the Force and it’s infinite wisdom. There was a plan. The Force would see it done and nothing could change that. As Calphayus moved from one chamber to the next, he spoke outloud in his madness. Sometimes his former brothers and sisters would speak back to him, sometimes not. He could never be sure if he was imagining it in his solitude or if it was indeed his former companions speaking to him from beyond. He had visited there, seen the lake of souls, saw the faces that would dwell beneath the water. Calphayus longed to be there, he wanted to join them in death so badly, but he had another destiny. As he was spared the sword upon his defeat, he bided his time and waited looking in on the ever changing lines of the Force.

“Nothing interesting today…just a few loose panels on one of the terraformers. Nothing I can fix…this place is falling apart and I am thankful for it….”

There was no response, not even in his mind as he sat down in front of the globe. It looked like a large drop of water held together in the Force. Formerly he used it to manipulate time or at least he thought he did. Realizing now the Force was allowing him to. It wasn’t a tool as he was led to believe, but it was a living entity. Those sensitive enough to hear it’s call became IT'S tools. Not truly Sith and not completely Jedi in its philosophy, Calphayus had to admit that the Jedi were much closer in truth when it came to understanding the Living Force, but even they were not privy to all of it’s secrets. Many of them still holding on to the dogma that the Force was peace, it was serenity; when it was anything but. Even the Force got angry at times and as he looked through the globe and saw events that unfolded around him he smiled. Happy that the Force allowed him this much.

Once a servant to the Emperor, Calphayus of course felt his transcendence. He felt his death not once but three times only to be reborn into something more. It was almost as if Vitiate was a part of that tendril of the Living Force, but even he was just riding the wave. Not truly understanding that the Force also had a plan for him as well. He would see, just like Calphayus had seen, that the Force always righted itself. That one could not wield all of the power it possessed unless there was a plan, an end to balance an ever changing sea of power.

An eyebrow went up as one scene gave way to the next, Calphayus was looking through time. He saw the end of the Sith and the beginning, the end of the Jedi and the beginning countless times. It was how things were balanced. It would have been maddening to someone less attuned to it, but to Calphayus it was all present time.

“This….this is truly curious…” Calphayus moved his hands around and over the hovering globe as the scenes changed and gave way to something he was sure was happening now. Again and again he had seen these strange beings from a third galaxy, they had the taint of Vitiate all over them. Not privy to the happenings of the known galaxy, he had no idea what was going on outside of his walls, but he saw them and he knew something involving them had taken over the known galaxy. That the end of the Jedi and the Sith had come and that it would restart what the Force was trying to accomplish, a reunification of its power. The Sith and the Jedi working together to restore a balance to the Force and costing themselves their own identity in the doing. As he worked his hands over the globe he stopped the image and peered, he had seen these people before. They had come to Oricon, they had defeated the Dread Masters and Calphayus stopped on one face and smiled, “Her…now why is she a focal point I wonder…”

As if the Force reached out of the globe and slapped him across the face for asking the question Calphayus retched backwards, looking around, “What?!?! I didn’t change anything…I haven’t…you won’t allow me to…” The slap came again and Calphayus visibly rubbed his jaw this time. This was not supposed to happen. What he was seeing was something the Force didn’t like, it was telling him something, something he wasn’t clearly understanding. “Fine…fine…you send whatever message you want. I will deal with it. But I am NOT changing anything…it is what it is, YOU told me that….”

GuardianElite
Re-knighted 10/24/2015

Post by GuardianElite »

“Sometimes….we don’t get choose if we die alone or surrounded by the few who truly love us…”

Arcann’s Perspective…

Though Arcann had grown cold and cruel the years since killing his brother, he still understood the value and importance of family. It was a lesson forged in the blood of his brother on the very floor of the throne room he stood, receiving the message from Vaylin. Even the most evil person in the galaxy came from somewhere. Arcann had a mother, he had a father; once he had a brother. Family was everything. Seeing Arcann, hearing him speak or watching him act you would never know it. But on the contrary, it was family that placed him in the position he found himself in; the murder of his brother out of the rage created by the need of acknowledgement from his father. Had Valkorian loved and honored his commitment as a father and a husband would any of this taken place? These were questions Arcann pondered sometimes when he sat alone in the dark with only the silence of the throne room to keep him company. Yes, Arcann understood the importance of family, it was the evil in him that made him alone and would most likely kill him; alone. So it was an easy decision to leave the throne room as he disconnected the Comm system after hearing Vaylin’s frantic message. For Vaylin, was all he had now.

“Ready the Elite Guard, summon all of the Exarchs and 20 Legions of Experimental Skytroopers…have them set course for Tatooine; best possible speed….” Arcann got up twisting his neck and stretching himself out as he walked, there was an audible pop from the servos attached to what was left of his physical neck, “…let the Exarchs know I am already enroute and pass them the target information.” The administrator looked up as the Emperor passed, it wasn’t his place to question merely to act, but Arcann felt his curiosity and stopped, taking a moment to look back at him. “Yes, it’s not a large target, merely a compound size objective. But the contents of which have vexed me for far too long.” His aide bowed and nodded repeatedly as the Emperor disappeared down the corridor and out of the massive throne room. The Eternal Throne loudly locked itself; a casement of metal and a shielding dropping down over the Throne’s area as the administrator took one last look at the Datapad before hurrying off to execute the Emperors order.

<Location: TAT 0025 – 88021-55620 ESTATE sized OBJECTIVE. Possibly 25 or 30 occupants. THREAT: high. All occupants considered extremely dangerous, termination on sight authorized. Wanted for the Assault on the Throne. Death of Imperial Zakuul Citizens and Threatening a High Justice of the Zakuul People.>

<DARTH Retuvisa and entire family will be terminated in accordance with the Justice of the Throne. Let none survive...>

--

The shuttle barely skirted a meter off the ground, not that Vaylin needed it. She leapt up on the skid as a cybernetic hand and forearm grasped her, pulling her all the way inside. Looking up at her brother, Arcann, she shook him off.

“I could have leapt up here, Arcann…”

His attention went back to the sands of the Endless Desert as the shuttle as well as 42 others skirted the sands underneath any tracking systems that may see their approach. He spoke without looking back at his sister, “We were flying low anyway…” His head went up and Vaylin could hear his mechanical breath intensify as he inhaled a deep almost reverent breath, “This reminds me of the times before. When Thexan and I would plan and execute stealth attacks on planets with a sophisticated sensor net.” Arcann let it out, if he could have smiled he would have; instead Vaylin heard it in his voice. “Those were the days…Thexan…”

Vaylin sneered, once again all she was hearing about was her ‘other’ brother. She lost the sneer as Arcann turned around to face her. Looking faux, ‘sad and lost’ she bowed her head reverently in return. “Yes, I miss him too. He would have made a great addition to our team.” Arcann turned back around and Vaylin resumed her sneer behind her brother's back. Things were not going according to Vaylin’s original plan and Arcann’s presence was testament to that fact. What originally started out as Vaylin’s fact finding mission to Tatooine, to locate and try to gain a potential ally in Karolin Alpha, had taken a nasty turn. And it was Thexan’s fault, in a way or at least as far as Vaylin was concerned. Had he never taken an interest in the buxom Mirialan, none of this would have been happening as it was.

Now, with Arcann’s presence she would have to formulate her own plan to dethrone him. Vaylin shrugged to herself, ‘Oh well…can’t cry over spilled bantha milk..’, she thought. Taking her lightsaber from her belt she moved up alongside Arcann and looked down at the tactical monitor. He pointed at the screen, gesturing to her to peer down with him.

“I am dropping the Exarchs directly in the center of the compound to work outward. Ten legions of skytroopers will surround the outside to kill anyone who tries to escape and the rest will attack the defenses and work their way in.”, Arcann got a smiling tinge to his voice, “You and I….dear sister, will get to the heart of the matter…” He stabbed the screen with his mechanical finger, “Her bedchambers and the guest quarters…with any luck, we come in undetected and attack them while they are still sleeping.” Arcann stood to his full height and put his hands on his hips looking out the open cargo door, “This…will be a day long remembered. The day ‘I’ remove Mrysti Alpha and the rest of her insipid family from the known galaxy….”

--
Feeling it before actually seeing it, Karolin hit the throttle on her stolen speeder heading toward her sister’s compound. Vaylin had actually contacted him, Arcann was here and he wasn’t alone. This was bad and for the briefest of moments, Karolin had a moment of clarity, before the madness grabbed hold of her once again.

--
The initial attack on the compound started too early, one of the Skytrooper legions tripping an early warning system that activated a series of underground turrets. As they popped out of the sand laying waste to the legion and anyone directly in the path of the blazing fire. Mrysti sat up in bed. The yellow glow of the lightsaber lit the room and it was the last thing she saw before rolling off the side as the blade came down in the spot she was sleeping only a second before.

--
Opening up with both barrels blazing Porchia launched herself out of the guest quarters and into oblivion. Thirty of the largest, heavily armored knights she had ever seen were busy destroying everything in their path as she landed coming up in a squat and unleashing the full complement of both blasters at two of them. The bolts bounced harmlessly off the large shields they carried, as now she had gained the attention of nearly all thirty of them.

--
Parking the bike in the rear entrance, Karolin quickly dispatched several skytroopers to clear a path and made her way down the stairs. In that moment of clarity she saw it, the reason she had come back ‘home’ in the first place. It was Samantha, Karolin had to get to her. Everyone else was lost, there was no way to save them all. But, Samantha; Karolin could and would save, even if it cost her, her own life. Looking down in the courtyard she saw the larger than life armored figures closing in on someone and as the last brilliant flash indicated that person was dying out, Karolin knew they had just lost Porchia. Karolin moved quickly around the corner and glanced down at the body lying lifeless in the yard. At Porchia’s feet lay only two of the large figures, a full twenty eight of them now turning their attention to other duties.

--
“What?!?! Arcann too scared to come do this himself…”

“Oh he’s here. He wouldn’t sully his hands with you!”

Vaylin cut at Mrysti’s legs as she jumped back grabbing a large Vibrohammer off the wall and landing squarely in front of Vaylin with the setting to full power. It vibrated the ground and knocked the smaller woman off her feet as Mrysti darted by, grabbing her saber on the way out of the room. Mrysti’s only objective: Survival. Her mission: To locate her daughter and escape with both their lives. Vaylin recovered quickly, already close on Mrysti’s heels as she saw the last blur of green skin dart out of the room.

It struck Mrysti to her core, it made her stop as she looked down at Porchia’s lifeless body. Next to her lay several of the servants of the household, people she knew, people she loved. Next to that lay the body of her most recent love, one she had given her heart too. It struck her dumb and as she stopped, giving Vaylin the few seconds she needed to catch her, Mrysti never saw the flash. Not until the saber had already penetrated her chest and was coming out the other side. Her heart already breaking from so much loss; it physically exploded as the yellow plasma of Vaylin’s blade made contact with the paracardium surrounding the outside of it.

--
Already having shoved Sam out of the window and hearing the banging on the outside of the bedroom door, Karolin jerked it open to the surprised faces of several of the heavily armored warriors. Karolin had seen the Exarchs before, she studied them as she floated in suspension upon her last capture by Arcann and as the door opened she launched her saber through the eye socket of the first warrior, touching the chest armor of the second with a Disturbance of the Force that sent the warrior flying. With the path cleared, she ran up and out of the room only to see what she knew couldn’t possibly be true. And as Vaylin withdrew the saber from the back of her sister, Mrysti’s lifeless body fell to the deck of courtyard.

The madness already had her, all of her clarity gone Karolin twirled the saber in her hand preparing to meet her own end as she moved toward Vaylin. The clenched fist, the wicked smile; all of it was directed at Karolin as the voice spoke softly in her mind. It was familiar yet foreign and Karolin felt as if she had heard it for years, it’s familiarity stopping her in her tracks.

“No…Karolin. You cannot win, you cannot allow ‘them’ to win. You must go…flee…”

Taking another step forward, the voice intoned again, this time more forcefully.

“If you do this…all is lost. You are now the last of the Alphas...”

That did stop her as Karolin turned and ran toward the east retaining wall. Vaylin stepped over the corpse of Karolin’s sister crying after her, “RUN!!! Yes, RUN!!! Little bird…you won’t fly far…we will find you and when we do, we will kill you…just like your sister!!!”

GuardianElite
Re-knighted 10/24/2015

Post by GuardianElite »

"Remember the past...or you will repeat it...

The sounds of Vaylin’s laughter still echoing in her head, Karolin rubbed it and with it the dirt that plastered itself all over her. Grime from the battle, grime from the search; it had been a full day and a half and Karolin had still found nothing. The smell of her sister’s estate still burning inflamed her nostrils. Karolin was well away from the area, having tracked little Sam’s foot prints all the way to the rock outcropping and found nothing. The sun was falling once again and with it any hope that Karolin would find Sam. The desert was well-versed in covering its tracks. She retreated into the cavern within the rock outcropping, re-stoking the fire that she made for herself the night before.

This was entirely her fault and she knew it. Once again her madness getting the better of her. This time it cost more dear lives than she could handle as she twirled the lightsaber in her hand looking down at the fire. Laying the business end of the saber against her chest, she struggled with the thought; her hands shook as she played with the button to activate the white hot blade. “Just one l-little press…a second…that’s all I need…” Karolin cried out in anguish and tossed the lightsaber across the cavern. Even she was too cowardly to take her own life as she put her head in her hands and cried. This time without tears, there were no more to give.

There was simply nothing left, she had killed Derrick in her rage and blinded by madness failed to see that she set all of this in motion. Now Mrysti, Porchia; everyone else she ever cared about was gone and it was entirely her fault. She pushed Vaylin or maybe it was Vaylin’s plan all along. As far as she knew it all could have been a trap. “I should have punched that bitch in the face the moment she walked up on me…” Now, it was too late. What was done, was done and being unable to take her own life she now had to decide what to do next.

In the Force, he heard her thoughts as well as her words and had been watching her since the attack on the Estate. It was his voice she heard that told her to run. It was his voice that convinced her to flee. Now at the lowest moment of her life, Thexan decided it was time. Should he not reveal himself, Karolin could very well fall deeper into madness and then none of what had happened would be for any greater good. Since his death and merging with the Living Force, Thexan had spent a great deal of time on various planes. He watched his Empire fall into the state it was in because of his brother, he watched Karolin, who was always the object of his desire. None of it mattered anymore, not in the consciousness he was in. There was only the Force, Thexan wished he would have known that in life. That the Force was once again balancing itself with his arrival and the conquest of the known galaxy. They were all tools, tools to be used by the Force to right the wrongs; to allow the evil of the universe to flourish. It was all part of the plan and now that he was a part of that greater whole, he understood it all.

But this was not to be, this entire incident was contrary to what the Force had planned. It was why he was allowed to come, to right the imbalance cause by his sister and Karolin. There were always anomalies. Things that ran contrary to the guidance of the Force. Thexan understood that now, he lived and breathed it in the netherworld of the Force. Still, he was clinging to some human emotions concerning Karolin and it was with apprehension and reluctance that he appeared. Slowly at first, the light of his aura slowly ensconcing the small cavern as not to over take the light of the fire Karolin sat beside. He said nothing as he watched her, he didn’t have to. Karolin already knew he was there.

“Get out of here, Thexan…I don’t want to see you! I don’t want to hear you or look at you!!!”

The Force entity stood its ground shrouded in the light blue glow of the Force, allowing him to appear to her. He wasn’t going anywhere as he brought his hands up to his face and watched her. This was about to be an interesting conversation as Thexan could feel the waves of Rage and Madness cascading off of Karolin, but there was something else. An elusive thought was reaching him in the Force…loneliness and loss. This was entirely understandable given the circumstances. Karolin was so close, had been so close to full understanding only to regress as she fell back into anger and rage, allowing the war to once again consume her. This would take some convincing, that all was not lost. As long as Karolin was willing to once again accept the things that she already knew. Finally, not seeing her move, but feeling her sensing him in the Force, Thexan spoke; his voice hollow and unlike anything he would have sounded in life.

“Hello Karolin…I can sense I am not the person you were hoping to see. Perhaps your Son, maybe even your former Master. They are fine by the way…we all are.”

Slowly, Karolin raised her head, the insane smile blanketing her face as she looked over at the ghost, “Understatement? You have gotten a sense of humor since your death, Thexan?” The face quickly twisted into anger, “GET THE KRIFF OUT OF HERE THEXAN!!!” The voice behind the anger suddenly got meek as Karolin put her head back down muffling herself, “This is all your fault…”

“My fault? You don’t honestly believe that. Think back to your teachings, you know the Force is infinite in its wisdom. All of this has to do with a plan and—“

Again, Karolin looked up with that insane look as her eyes got wider, “Oh so it was planned that I would be responsible for the death of my entire family??!! Kriff you Thexan, if you and your stupid brother had never shown up then none of this would be happening.” Karolin got up with a start, pointing at Thexan over the flames of the fire, “You are responsible for this, not me!! You caused me to fall back into madness by starting this War, causing me to consider Vaylin...and all of her madness. To kill…Derrick…” Karolin sat back down, looking at the fire hopelessly; a blank look on her face. With everything that happened, she had almost forgotten that she killed Derrick and started all of this. Thexan moved around to her side and looked down at her allowing the silence to permeate the cave for a moment. Casting blame was the first sign of regret, it was not like her to accept responsibility for something. Karolin was indeed getting deeper into the hole she was already in.

“No, I have to say that you killed Derrick, by your own hand. I had nothing to do with that, the Force had nothing to do with that. That was all you.”

Karolin snickered to herself as she looked at Thexan again, throwing her hands up. “Gee, thanks Thexan. Anything else you wish to impart to me in order to make me feel worse? Hey how about we recount the time I fell to the Dark Side and killed my entire crew?!?!” Karolin stood up getting angrier as she spoke, “Or better yet…how about my first love dying in my arms?!?! That’s a good one!!!” Karolin sat back down in a heap and began to cry again, this time hiding her face from Thexan as she murmured under the hood of her cloak, “J-just go…Thexan. There is nothing for you here, not anymore…”

This was getting nowhere and the more Thexan spoke, the further Karolin got away from him and deeper into the pit of sorrow she was in. It was time to lay it out, only then would she even listen as Thexan began to sense Karolin closing herself off, her mind already searching for ways to preoccupy itself in other ways or to close the Force off for good. Had she any intoxicants or drugs on her she most definitely would have taken them as she looked up and around at her feet.

“This is why I am here. You cannot be allowed to sit and get deeper into despair. This is the reason I have come to let you know that none of this was in the plan, none of this was the will of the Force…”

Karolin still wasn’t listening as she continued to search, finally patting herself down and taking out the inhaler she had stuffed in the top of her boot. She lifted it to her nostril and finally smiled at Thexan wickedly. “Goodbye Thexan…thanks for the visit…”

He looked down sadly and lifted a hand toward the one time object of his desire, “If you do that, you close yourself off. Wait!!! Think about it, Karolin…if you do that, if you start down this path of closing off the Force, then you will never ever be able to right the wrongs that have been done here…”

Pinching her other nostril she placed the injector in the opposite and continued the wicked smile, “You said it yourself, Thexan…the Force is infinite in its wisdom. Let the Kriffin’ Force right its own wrongs!!! I am done playing the game!!!”

What Thexan exclaimed to her, gave Karolin pause. She put the injector down and glared at him.

“Think about Samantha, Karolin!!! Would you deny her the future she deserves…”

“Damn you, Thexan…that is so not fair…”, Dropping the injector on the ground she looked back at the fire and said nothing. If Thexan could have released a breath, he would have. For the moment he had her attention. Looking up at him, her face was strained against the thoughts of her little niece, “Does she live?”

“Yes. But the future she has in store is not the one the Force would have for her. None of this was supposed to happen, only you can fix it. Karolin, you have to trust me. But, in order to do that I must ask you something….”, Still looking at him, she said nothing as she waited for the question, “You must release your anger toward me. You must start to believe in yourself again and allow the Force to flow through you as it once did, believe in the infinite timelessness of it. You once told me that the Force has no time, that there is no death. I need you to believe that again and to believe in me.”

Thexan sat down next to her and looked over with a sad smile, “Void…I loved you. I loved you so much it blinded me to the truth of what was happening around me. I didn’t see what my brother was becoming until it was too late, so caught up in my own dreams of grandeur. My dreams of one day you and I being together to live out that dream. But it was my dream, it wasn’t yours. I got so deep into believing that one day I could make you see as I did, that I lost sight of what was right in front of me.” He reached up and tried to move a lock of her blonde hair out of the way only to have his hand pass through her. Reluctantly he put the hand down, “I can’t guide you until I let this go. I can’t do this without you no longer having hate in your heart for me. I need you to see that though I was misguided, my heart is what led me. Can you do that Karolin, can you forgive me for what I’ve done?”

The whole statement made Karolin lose the question at the end as she stared at him in disbelief. It was hate she had sealed in her heart for a long time, hate for him. The hate she locked away, placing all blame for every loss since Korriban on Thexan. It didn’t help matters that Thexan locked her away in his palace in carbonite, but with what he said she was starting to see. Karolin and Thexan were not really that different. Both of them driven. She had to ask herself would she have done the same thing in his position, if Thexan was the object of her desire. Looking down finally, she smiled to herself.

“I forgive you, Thexan…and I understand….”

The glow around his body seemed to take on a brighter glow as he smiled at her. Karolin felt something in the Force, like some burden had been lifted on him. She could feel the Force flow around him and it swirled as it entered the room in a typhoon like wave. The air was thick with it. Karolin had to take a deep breath to control the influx of energy looking up at the ceiling of the cavern in surprise at just how powerful the feeling was. Standing up next to her Thexan looked down and offered her his hand. It was like the beginning of a long journey that she had no idea where it would lead. As she took the hand, she actually felt his warmth in the Force, her hand not passing through the aura that was Thexan. It gave her a feeling of hope, she knew this was meant to be.

“Come. It’s time to go…there is someone waiting on you and you are not going to find him here on Tatooine.”

“Where are we going?”

The Force continued to swirl in an almost visible wave as he looked out past the sands with her finally taking her all in. She too now had a glow about her, it was yellow in contrast to the ghostly blue pallor he was surrounded by. For the moment there was nothing else but the Force and the two of them as they stood there. It would be a long road, one that was uncertain, but as Karolin breathed in the essence of the Force she knew it would lead her where she needed to go as long as she trusted it. Thexan looked at her as if to answer that question, "Yes, I will be there...to guide you. Like all of the others before me, we are all part of the Force. We will never leave you...."

Karolin knew what that meant, though she didn't say it. Markus was in there somewhere, so was Shamp and even Beta. Thexan was all of them. For so long she denied that feeling that she was not alone and for the first time, even since regaining her power of the light on Tython, she felt safe. She would never be alone again. Her face twisted in a determined stare as she looked out over the sands. Thexan spoke in a far away tone as his image slowly faded from sight. Though he was still there, Karolin knew she would have to take the first step alone as she dropped down out of the cavern entrance.

“Oricon. It’s time to right the wrongs and put this life back on track….”

GuardianElite
Re-knighted 10/24/2015

Post by GuardianElite »

“There is no decision made that does not come without consequence…but destiny…destiny can NOT be altered”

-Dread Master Calphayus

The dawn of a new day, a day that Karolin had in all of her life wished would never come. She was alone and it struck her even as Thexan sent her to this desolate place, that she was for the first time in her life....afraid. Uncertainty clouded everything, there was no where to go and at the same time limitless possibility. She could feel it as she set foot on the newly baked ground. Oricon was a place of endings, but everyday it became a place of new beginnings. The planet itself started over everyday as the molten earth emerged from within to carve out a new landscape in the face of the previous day's failures. As much as she hated the place, she felt a kinship with the planet. Though she was convincing herself of her own uncertainty, from the moment she set foot on the planet the Force was telling her otherwise.

It was much the same as she left it; the din of the low light cast by the lava making the shadows dance around her. Corpses of various pieces of starship, the ones not already consumed completely by the molten earth dotted the site of the landing zone. For a place that had reportedly changed after the Dread Masters fell, nothing had changed. Except the silence, only the bubbling of the lava or the streaking of a meteor shot out by one of the nearby volcanoes could be heard. Oricon was now a devoid place, the Republic and Empire having pulled out both of their sparse garrisons after the Zakuul invaded the galaxy; resources that were needed elsewhere; making Oricon now the literal ‘ass-end’ of space. No one came there, no one needed to.

And it looked like a hasty exit on the part of both governments. The landing zone was littered with boxes, parts and pieces of technology, trash…anything and everything that was pulled or could not be carried on their retreat to their impending defeat at the hands of the Zakuul. It had been almost six years since Karolin had been there, had taken part in the operations to depose the Dread Masters. It was one of the few operations at that time Mrysti and Karolin found themselves fighting an identical enemy, both sisters having the same agenda.

Calphayus was the only Dread Master to have survived and on the flight to Oricon Karolin wondered if the once powerful Dread Master would even remember her. He would most definitely remember her sister, Mrysti. It was Mrysti's lightsaber that found its way to the old man’s neck, but Karolin talked her sister out of killing the helpless man. The once powerful Dread Master was stripped of his power from the ordeal of the downfall and all that remained was a shell of a man. He wasn’t worth killing. None of that would be remembered as Karolin didn’t make a big display of it, leaning slight to her sister’s ear and whispering her request for Mrysti to stay her blade. As Karolin crossed the field, now devoid of anyone and everything, she thought about what she would say.

Thexan had been silent during her flight, even in her meditations when she placed the ship on Auto to try and collect herself. Only doing as she was instructed Karolin went to Oricon, but expected some further guidance. She could feel Thexan all around her, but she could not hear him or see him, even if he was making the effort to speak with her. Getting to the bottom of the hillside, Karolin looked out across the scorched earth and sighed. She didn’t know if Calphayus was even there. Lots of things could have happened in six years. The old man might have even ‘done himself’ in. He was after all insane when they left him with only brief moments of clarity emanating from him. Mostly all he said to anyone were absent ramblings about life, a life he no longer had or was going to have. He seemed to speak in 'what-if's' and 'could have been's'. Casting her eyes around the landscape again to get her bearings before continuing, she didn’t know if anyone could live alone in this place with such an absent mind. Karolin certainly didn’t want to.

Once a master of time and space, Calphayus used the Force to alter destiny and change reality to suit the Dread Masters. No one really knew how much damage they had caused in doing so. Jedi philosophers had speculated that Calphayus alone had been singularly responsible for the elimination of some very prominent Force weilders, though they could not prove it. The existence of the individuals was simply erased from time. All that was left was an echo of their existence and the speculation that someone had once been there. It was why all of the talk was only theory. Combined with the power of the other Dread Masters, Calphayus was deadly, alone he was formidable. After their destruction he was nothing. As Karolin climbed on the derelict speeder to go toward the Dread Fortress, she wondered if coming to Oricon was the best course, if Calphayus even existed. So far, Karolin had not sensed a soul on the planet. Not even animal. It was as if when the Republic and Empire left they took every living thing with them.

So, it was with shock as the speeder arrived after the short ride to the Fortress, Karolin heard the voice call to her. It wasn’t in the Force and it was very much real. “That’s because I don’t want visitors!!! No one comes here, why have you?!?! Whoever you are! I don’t know what you want, but you won’t find it here…you may as well go back the way you came and leave.”, Resolute, Karolin climbed off the speeder and started up the steps toward the figure who called to her. Calphayus folded his arms and shook his head repeatedly, madly, “I told you!!! No visitors!! Whatever it is you want, you won’t find it her—“ As she took down the hood of her cloak, her blonde hair falling out from under it, eyes red rimmed from lack of sleep, Calphayus stopped speaking and stared. Karolin had already reached the old man and was staring at him strangely. Last time she had seen him was immediately after the Dread Palace fell and he looked more worn and more beaten than he ever did.

“Dread Master Calphayus? I don’t know if you remember me…I’m Karo--”

The former Dread Master smiled and clapped his hands together loudly in a broad smile, “Yes…yes…of course I know who you are. They told me you were coming, I have been waiting for—“, The old man seemed to lose his train of thought for a moment as he considered, seemingly lost for a second, “—a millennia? Or is it a year? Perhaps a day or longer…I don’t know, it’s timeless you know. Life, the Force…it all sort of blends together.” Karolin gave him an inquizative look as he seemed to regain himself. “Come, come…we have much to discuss. But first, I have to tell you I am not sure how much ‘they’ will let me help you….”

Karolin didn’t move as she placed her hands on her hips and glared at the old man, who had already retreated from the landing and was making his way toward the entrance. He seemed to be still talking to himself and assumed that Karolin was right behind him. It wasn’t until she called after him that he turned around and realized his mistake. “I am not going anywhere with you until I know why I have been sent here…”

Calphayus immediately turned around, bringing his hand to his face in a stern concentration, “Hmmmm…interesting. This could be the time that you and your Son conquered the Hutts and laid waste to the Republic. Or the time that you broke the blockade around Malistare….No, no, no, no…” He jumped back toward Karolin excitedly, pointing his finger, “This is the time that you and Marcus invaded the Sith Academy to get back the Holocrons that were stolen?!?!” Karolin eyes got annoyingly wide as she shifted slightly, the man was obviously delusional.

“What?!?! Marcus?!?! Marcus is dead…why would you even mention Marcus???”

Color seemed to drain from Calphayus' face at Karolin’s words as he slumped slightly, “Oh…so this is…” He sat down on the top step and looked down at the ground, “So this is the time that you gave into your madness and Vaylin led your family to slaughter? I..I never like that one…”

Now, Karolin was truly lost. She wanted to snatch the old Dread Master up to his feet, though he looked far too pitiful to do that to. She moved past him and looked over the grounds and the entrance before turning with a flourish, the old man still sulking on the top step. “I am here because a Force Ghost of someone I am familiar with told me to come…and seek you out. That perhaps you could…”

“Help you? Yes, Thexan…I have seen him many times…some of those times with you as a matter of fact. But his Destiny is always the same, no matter how many various ways I have seen it, no matter how yours and his choices shaped his reality, it ALWAYS remains the same. His brother slays him…” Calphayus stood up placing his hand under his chin again and scratched at the stubble, “Though, I have to admit, he did survive longer those times that you and he were together.” The old man got excited as his eyes widened in glee, “Especially the time that you and he got married. It was grand ceremony, you both ruled for many years before he let Arcann get close to you. By then it was too late…” His eyebrow went up, “I always found that Vaylin was a chaotic variable in the equation…the time that you killed her outright, was the time that you both survived the longest…

Karolin was now thoroughly confused as she stared at the old man in disbelief, he was talking non-sense. “What the hell are you talking about…Thexan?!?! Me and Thexan, I would never…not in a million years…” She threw her hands up, “This is pointless, you are obviously delusional, this is stupid…” As she moved back toward the steps to leave Calphayus said something that stopped her cold.

“We can never look past the choices we make or have already made…they affect our reality, but not our destiny. What happened to you was not your destiny…it was not ‘her’ destiny…”

Karolin could sense who the ‘her’ was before she even turned around. An image of Samantha pressed itself into her mind. That night, the cold desert night as Karolin pushed her out of the window to spare her the sword. A sword that Karolin in her madness had brought to their home. As she turned slowly she saw Calphayus giving her a far-away look. “Does she live…will she…?” He nodded solemnly.

“Yes, but she is not going to be quite the same little girl that you remember in a few years. Without the guidance of her Mother…her Father…you, Samantha’s heart will harden she will bring with her the lash of that cold heart and reforge a people into a hardened society. A society that will shape and change the surface of that small desert world and eventually the quadrant. Her Sons and Daughters will take to the stars in future generations, one of them will become a great war leader and the war he wages will bring peace for some and death for a great many. His cruelty and ruthlessness will become legendary. As for Sam she will become what all of you most fear. She will become the bringer of destruction for a great many…but, that is not what will affect the galaxy so greatly, it is her Son. Yes, all of that from pushing her out of a window to spare her life.”, Calphayus smiled waving his hand in front of his face, “Pfft…but that is this time, there are so many. So many to choose from…come, let us look. Let us see what we can glean from the Force…” He held out his hand for her to follow.

Karolin gave a grimace as she looked at Calphayus, “Perhaps I should have let her die with the rest of them.”

Calphayus laughed slightly and shrugged, “Who knows?!!? The possibilities are endless. Sam is one of the special ones I have looked at many times. She is constantly in flux and her Destiny, it is so…’unpredictable’…”

Still not quite sure about Calphayus, she was sure that the man was insane and possibly violently delusional. The way he spoke, about things that hadn’t happened or things that were possible that never took place told her that he really didn’t know what timeframe he was in. She could sense him now and his aura in the Force seemed to be in flux as it waned between this plane and another, winking in and out as she followed him to the Dread Fortress. Karolin didn’t know if she could trust him, but he certainly knew more if not as much as she did about current events. Though his perspective was slightly skewed due to the many outcomes he had seen that never ever took place. She smiled to herself remembering his words about Marcus and Thexan. All of it conjecture, but somewhere and somehow in another time all of it had taken place. He spoke without prompting seeming to read her thoughts.

“It’s choice…that’s what does it. Every single choice, no matter how large or small has ripples in the Force. It shapes the outcome…” He looked off stooping at the door of the Fortress and looking up, “…and I have seen them all…” As he turned, his arm out behind him to push open the larger than life door to welcome Karolin inside he smiled in a strange fashion, not really at her, but past her.

“There is no decision made that does not come without consequence…but destiny…destiny can NOT be altered”