Civ V Night??

Open discussion for members and visitors.
Talolan
Duke
Duke
Realm: Neverwinter
House: Griffon

Re: Civ V Night??

Post by Talolan »

Ok. Sokolov, his friend, OJ, Vashile and Talo will start a game (at Gods & Kings) on Sunday at 7pm Eastern (4pm Pacific), and play for a few hours (my brother may join us). Obviously it takes a lot longer than that to complete a Civ V game, so we'll have to save an continue the following Sunday (if we want to go weekly).

Does that work for everybody? If that date/time works, we'll go ahead and talk game-play specifics.
Talolan
NOR/DK-NOMAD

“Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it’s a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope.” - Dr. Seuss
Official Dungeon Master of your dreams.
Ojike
Baron
Baron
House: Unicorn
Record: Recruit: 06/21/04
Squire: 09/18/04
Squire Honor: 05/17/06
Squire Elite: 06/11/06

Post by Ojike »

Sounds good. See you guys then.
Ojike *NOR/GR
"For, as a wise man once said: An error doesn't become a mistake, until you refuse to correct it."
-John F Kennedy
sokolov
Duke
Duke

Post by sokolov »

Yep :)
Vashile
Baron
Baron
Realm: Elder Scrolls Online

Post by Vashile »

I'm good!
Talolan
Duke
Duke

Post by Talolan »

Alright, lets talk specifics.

I was going to set the game up Thusly:
Player 1: Talo
Player 2: Sokolov
Player 3: Sokolov's "Friend"
Player 4: Ojike
Player 5: Vashile
Player 6: Talo's Brother or PC
Player 7: PC
Player 8: PC
Player 9: PC
Player 10: PC

I would reduce the default city states from 20 (for a 10 player game) to 10. It makes this move a little quicker.

Map Type: Small Continents
Map Size: Large (this is the 10 player level)
Game Pace: Standard
Game Era: Ancient Era
Turn Mode: Hybrid
World Age: 4 Billion Years
Temperature: Temperate
Rainfall: Normal
Sea Level: Medium
Resources: Standard

Victory Types: All

Advanced Game Options:
-All Off Except:
--Quick Combat

DLC Allowed:
I have Mongolia, Spain & Inca, Polynesia, Denmark, Babylon, Explorers Map Pack, Gods & Kings and Brave New World in my list.
Brave New World will be disabled (OJ doesn't have it). I'm not sure if the others are required for every player to join or not. So we'll test that.
==================
Beyond the in-game rules above, people may want to include some house rules. My opinion is, if the game allows it, you can do it. But for one specific house rule, I would like to see this:
  • You MUST end your turn before you go AFK. The human players will play their turns simultaneously (because of the hybrid turn mode), sitting there while somebody is AFK is a pain.
Talolan
NOR/DK-NOMAD

“Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it’s a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope.” - Dr. Seuss
Ojike
Baron
Baron
House: Unicorn
Record: Recruit: 06/21/04
Squire: 09/18/04
Squire Honor: 05/17/06
Squire Elite: 06/11/06

Post by Ojike »

Edit: I was able to work around the "work issue" and should be on steam with everyone at 4PST.
Ojike *NOR/GR
"For, as a wise man once said: An error doesn't become a mistake, until you refuse to correct it."
-John F Kennedy
sokolov
Duke
Duke

Post by sokolov »

The expansions and DLC don't really matter in that the game handles it and only allows stuff everyone has anyway.

What is PC?

When we played, we tended to keep City States to the normal value, because we think they are fun and also some Civs' powers are directly related to City States, and we just replace empty slots with City States at a fixed ratios. That said, we also think they are kind of OP depending on the circumstances or dice roll, so they add to the randomness. Honestly it's fun to try different setups (I am just talking), so less of them is fine :D

Map Type, many map types are actually really interesting. So I don't have a preference here. The Europe map is really cool. Four Corners is really competitive as it is designed to be fairly equal for all players no matter where you start. Fractal is one we play a lot, it generates interesting terrain tactically and forces expansion away from your starting area pretty early.
Talolan
Duke
Duke

Post by Talolan »

PC, AI, Computer, etc...
Not human.

My problem with City States, is that in online games, they slow it down a lot.
Talolan
NOR/DK-NOMAD

sokolov
Duke
Duke

Post by sokolov »

What do you mean by Slow Down? As in lag? Or conflict between players? If the latter, yea, it really depends on what kind of game we want. We tend to play smaller maps with no AI to encourage expansion pressure.

Usually PC is Player Character so I don't normally associate that term with AI, but cool. One time, we tried a game where each player had an AI teammate, but it was silly because the AI would keep declaring on other people when we didn't want them to, and then they'd make peace after we'd declare war, lol - literally babysitting :D
sokolov
Duke
Duke

Post by sokolov »

Re: AFK issue. We could utilize the turn timer option (if you put 0 it makes the turns longer and longer as the game goes on). We use then when we play with some notoriously distracted people :D

Return to “General”