Into the Woods on AC vs DO

Ziek88
Baron
Baron
Realm: Guild Wars 2

Into the Woods on AC vs DO

Post by Ziek88 »

What it means to be a Devoted Cleric in the current game has been a hefty topic of late and I'd like to try to get all the info on the table in a clear way. This will be from the perspective of RAQ and above at the boss fights. When I reference an item level it is assuming properly allocated stats. Item level does not = powerful. Also viewing both as a support loadout.

I have frequently said that ACDC outperforms DO and I feel putting some numbers to my claim to help explain the why may be helpful. Please stick with me, there is a plug in favor of the DO coming near the end.

Side by side, DO and AC can do about the same things. Divine Glow (DG) and Break the Spirit (BtS) are staples of both. Third ability being dealers choice in both cases. Both can do Astral Seal. Where they depart from each other is power sharing. An ACDC can share ~212% of its power to the DPS. A DO is limited to ~37% in the same conditions. Looking at the two side by side assuming the DC has 30,000 base power and the DPS self buffs to 60,000 and combining BtS and DG. Lets give the DO the benefit of Hallowed Ground since the AC is also using a daily. ACDC = +241% damage, DO = +222% damage. Now if we add in the the one ability AC has that DO does not, Exaltation. AC moves to a +270% damage buff of a single person. If the AC has really high AP gain they may be able to hit Anointed Army and Hallowed Ground together at which point they hit a 326% party buff or a 365% buff to one person.

The short list of that long segment.
Same abilities used for average build. (~12k IL)
ACDC +241% party. +270% one person.
DODC +222% party.

Full potential for average build. (~12k IL)
ACDC +326% party. +365% one person.
DODC still +222%

One of those crazy 17-18k DCs
ACDC +454% party, +508% one person
DODC +244%

At first glance they are very close to the same. AC is definitely ahead but for the most part their potential is similar. The catch is, if the DC is well practiced and skillful with well timed execution of its ability rotations the AC numbers will climb a good bit higher. It does not matter how well a DO executes. They have already hit the peak of what they can do as a support. As the DCs stats continue to grow, the ACs potential scales with it. The DOs will increase a little, but the returns are pretty small compared to AC. In the endgame dungeons there is always at least one boss that cannot be beaten by slow and steady. That is why the higher potential of an AC becomes critically important.

Now, as promised. There is a time and place for DO and that is every dungeon pre-FBI. Generally, the enemies health are low enough that without buffs they just melt. In that case, the DOs increased damage over the AC will shine. There really isn’t any time to spin up those massive buffs or any reason too. The other instance is stepping out of support and in to DPS. Somebody else will need to be running Devo Pally or ACDC to buff your DO but there is no reason a DO couldn’t be the receiver of these buffs. I am confident there is huge potential in DPS DC.
Neverwinter: @zyek88
  • Guardian Fighter - Ziek
    Scourge Warlock - Zabbit
Discord: Ziek88#2954
nmates
Knight
Knight

Re: Into the Woods on AC vs DO

Post by nmates »

From what I've read, the two builds need a lot of different gear and/or enchants. Is that still true? Do you have links to builds with DO & AC that are budget builds for those not wanting to do a lot of re-gearing?
Ziek88
Baron
Baron

Re: Into the Woods on AC vs DO

Post by Ziek88 »

This is probably the most complete endgame build I've read.
https://nw.mmominds.com/2018/06/23/silverdc/

That said for viability a support DC can be extremely cheap to build. Unsure if TonG or Ravenloft but a ~12k DC in FBI and MSP with all primal gear/rings is more than enough to get the job done. Pretty much ignore every stat but power. The goal is ~30k base power and with our lovely +7000 power stronghold boon that is getting easier and easier. Even at 20k power it is useful. It is more dependent on feats and ability rotations than gear. Knowing how to time the power share and buff to synchronize with DPS bonding stone procs is what makes a support DC potent. This unfortunately is equally dependent on the DPS knowing how to receive said buffs.

The DPS route is far more costly. Build very similar to how I built my warlock. Barovia hunt gear. Demogorgon neck/waist/arti set. Archons, chulton tiger, razorwood companions. Probably need to be north of 15k IL to be viable. 16-17k to really take off. I've yet to see one fully take this on but I suspect they could rival most standard DPS classes.

*edit, gear that works for the high end DPS build would also work for support builds.
Neverwinter: @zyek88
  • Guardian Fighter - Ziek
    Scourge Warlock - Zabbit
Discord: Ziek88#2954

Return to “Class Builds”