GWF Long Guide and Short Guide FINISHED!

RJC9000
Ally
Ally
Realm: Guild Wars 2
Record: 12/14/14 - Recruitment (*cues With Us/Stalwarts Unite/Together We Ride/Comrades*)

5/12/15 - Squired

9/11/15 - Golden Aldobora Tree awarded

(insert date here) - Knighted
Location: Somewhere in the lands of Akaneia, Judgral, Elibe, Magvel, or Tellius...

GWF Long Guide and Short Guide FINISHED!

Post by RJC9000 »

Lightning Bruiser: Mod 9 PvE Great Weapon Fighter Guide

Finished!
GWF Stat Picture.jpg
After 4 months of hard work, I have finally finished this guide. I have created a Google Doc version to be as comprehensive as possible, at Ziek's suggestion. That, and the guide was getting too long, which Q insisted I keep it long. Something about "if you put in half the work your sister did..."

The Long Guide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WFv ... sp=sharing

Since I know you guys all want an easy bake DPS guide, I'll make a short version here on the fourms.
Last edited by RJC9000 on Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:02 am, edited 24 times in total.
This is a message from Lord Nergal...

TIME TO TIP THE SCALES!

Characters (NWO):
Hector (SM Destro GWF)
Micaiah (SS Thaum CW)
Saint Elimine (DO Righetous DC)
Anri (SM Tact GF)
Mark (Justice Healadin)
tornnomar
Duke
Duke
House: Griffon
Record: I joined.
And am never leaving.
Knighted, Dec. 21, 2015
Baron, Jan. 31, 2016
Count, Oct 15, 2017
And I can't even count:)

Re: GWF Fundamentals Discussion (Work in Progress!)

Post by tornnomar »

Many Thanks Hector!

My Not-So-GWF's build is ancient, full of mistakes and holes galore. I look forward to the complete thread.
"The two most important days of your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why" -Mark Twain
"Chuck Norris CAN divide by zero"
Ziek88
Baron
Baron

Post by Ziek88 »

I have been trying to find a good template for making a class build. I will be stealing yours and remaking my GF writeup.
Neverwinter: @zyek88
  • Guardian Fighter - Ziek
    Scourge Warlock - Zabbit
Discord: Ziek88#2954
bluebutton
Baroness
Baroness

Post by bluebutton »

This is an excellent write up. Thanks, Hector!

Minor note as a writing instructor. I recommend using "honestly" less frequently. It basically works out to "in my opinion" or "just believe me as I wave my hands". A simple substitution of "because" will usually fix things up.

But seriously, a GREAT start. Looking foward to the rest.
*NOR/ BA-NW

Neverwinter--@abluebutton
Main: Krimsn (OP healer)
Alts: Kriket (GWF), Krifin (GF)
Mules: Krindl (SW), Kriplr (TR)

Guild Wars 2--bluebutton.1475
Onyx Ofnor
RJC9000
Ally
Ally
Record: 12/14/14 - Recruitment (*cues With Us/Stalwarts Unite/Together We Ride/Comrades*)

5/12/15 - Squired

Location: Somewhere in the lands of Akaneia, Judgral, Elibe, Magvel, or Tellius...

Short Guide, Part 1: Race, Ability Scores, Paragon Path, Pow

Post by RJC9000 »

Short Guide Start: Race, Ability Roll, Paragon Path, Powers

Initial Starting Roll:
16 STR/16 DEX/12CON is technically the best possible roll, but if you're off by 1-2 DEX/STR it shouldn't be too much of an issue. (my own GWF started with something like 16 STR/13 DEX/13 CON

Always dump your points into STR and DEX.

Race:

Pick whatever you want, but the best races are the following:

Half Orc (Top tier pick: best ability scores and two amazing bonuses), Human(Decent on most classes and you don't look like stupid), and Dragonborn (goes with everything).

Paragon Path

My pick: Swordmaster

Swordmaster yields more damage; Iron Vanguard is more mobile than Swordmaster.

Powers and Loadout:

At Wills: Sure Strike and Weapon Master's Strike/Wicked Strike/Threatening Rush.

Sure Strike for single target, WMS for multi target + buffing Sure Strike on single targets. If you chose Iron Vanguard, Wicked Strike is your AoE at-will and Threatening Rush is your gap closer (just remember to keep Sure Strike!)

Encounter Powers: Indomitable Battle Strike, Hidden Daggers, and Daring Shout/Battle Fury.

IBS is your hardest hitting attack, Hidden Daggers has an amazing damage bonus, Daring Shout + Marks targets (Enemy is under the effects of Combat Advantage, Marked targets take +20% Damage against you/8% for Team), Battle Fury if you need extra stamina for running (ex: Epic Demogorgon Phase 2)

Class Features: Destroyer and Weapon Master.

Weapon Master increases Critical Chance every time you poke targets (you'll do this alot). Destroyer grants a substantial damage bonus and taking the Focused Destroyer Feat increases the damage bonus while making the activation method much easier.

Daily Attacks: Crescendo/Indomitable Strength and your choice.

Crescendo deals good damage and is a gap closer (Indomitable Strength is the Iron Vanguard version with less damage but can be canceled without losing damage). I recommend Avalanche of Steel for invincibility frames or Slam if you are using the Battle Awareness feat.
Last edited by RJC9000 on Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:05 am, edited 7 times in total.

TIME TO TIP THE SCALES!

Characters (NWO):
Hector (SM Destro GWF)
Micaiah (SS Thaum CW)
Anri (SM Tact GF)
Mark (Justice Healadin)
RJC9000
Ally
Ally

5/12/15 - Squired

Short Guide Part 2: Feats, Boons, and Gear

Post by RJC9000 »

Short Guide: Feats, Boons, and Gear

Feats

I am going to assume that your GWF is not 4,000 Ilvl and lacks 100% Crit Chance 24/7, because 100% Critical 24/7 changes some of the extra feats quite a bit.

Swordmaster NonHuman:

http://nwcalc.com/index.html#/gwf?b=23c ... &h=0&p=smr

Swordmaster Human:

http://nwcalc.com/index.html#/gwf?b=23c ... &h=1&p=smr

Reasoning: The Extra Critical Chance + Damage Resistance debuff from the Instigator feats will help you and your team while you are learning how to roflstomp, plus they also indirectly add to your damage. Flanking Maneuvers helps you and your team set up or can help interrupt enemy attacks. Unfettered Strikes is there to help you learn the GWF's movement.

Iron Vanguard NonHuman

http://nwcalc.com/index.html#/gwf?b=23c ... &h=0&p=ivn

Iron Vanguard Human

http://nwcalc.com/index.html#/gwf?b=23c ... &h=1&p=ivn

Reasoning: This version lacks Swordmaster's Staying Power, which trumphs the worthless Improved Reaction. Instead, to make up for some lost offense, I decided to use Battle Awareness (but you must use Slam to make use of it).

The biggest conflict for me was the Student of the Sword + Vicious Advantage versus Unstoppable Recovery + Powerful Challenge decision. The Iron Vanguard's Threatening Rush is a good mark (combined with good usage of Rush or combining with Daring Shout, you can keep the mark up 24/7). Overall, I turned towards Vicious Advantage + Student because I feel that the simpler team oriented bonus would help you contribute to the group (while you learn how to GWF) and is not as ability dependent. If you feel that Unstoppable Recovery + Powerful Challenge is better, then go for it.

Boons:

Sharandar:
Dark Fey Hunter, Fey Precision, Elven Haste, Elven Tranquility, Elvish Fury or Elven Resolve

Dread Ring:
Conjurer's Gambit, Evoker's Thirst, Forbidden Piercing, Enraged Regrowth, Rampaging Madness

Icewind Dale:
Encroaching Tactics, Refreshing Chill, Sleet Skills, Cool Resolve, Winter's Bounty

Tedium of the Dragons:
Dragon's Claws, Dragon's Gaze, Draconic Armorbreaker, Dragon's Greed, Dragon's Fury x1 and Dragon's Thirst x2

(If you have a lot of time on your hands to get Linu's Favors, first get the first point of Thirst, then get Fury, then finish off with the final point of Thirst. Toss in the other boons and some Rank7 Darks and you can get a respectable 8-10% Lifesteal).

Underdark:
Primordial Might, Primordial Focus, Drow Ambush Tactics, Dwarven Stamina, and Abyssal Strikes

Maze Engine:
Abyssal Siphoning, Demonic Influence, your choice, and Baphomet's Might

Stronghold: (hypothetical)
Barracks, Mount Speed Bonus, Defense/HP (depends on what you have and need more of), and whatever for the PvP boon.

Gear

Aim for 60% ArmorPen and as much Critical as you can.

Weapon Enchantment: Vorpal or Feytouched.
Armor Enchantment:: Soulforged or Negation (for when you get hit alot)
Overloads: : Greater Black Dragon Glyphs/Greater Corrupt Lethal.
Offense Slots: Darks (if lacking 60% ArmorPen), Azures (more Critical), Brutals/Radiants (if you have 100% Critical)
Defense Slots: Radiants/Azures (depends on what you have or can get, ideally Azures for maximum synergy with Steely Defense), Darks (use until you have up to 8% or more Lifesteal), or Savages (yields HP and Lifesteal).
Utility Slots: Your choice.

Weapon: Twisted Labrys + Sword Knot. Sure Strike, Weapon Master, and one of Combat Advantage Bonus/Action Point Gain/Stamina Gain/AoE Resist (chose the stat of which you do not have 1000 or more of) from the Cubes of Augmentation

Armor:
Alliance/Guild are easy to get stepping stones. Elven/Drowcraft/Dusk will be your penultimate armors.

Best combo:
Adamant Raid Armor (hope you have 30mil AD to drop for a full set! :troll )

My Combo:
Elemental Dragonflight Assault Scalemail, Elemental Dragonflight Raid Greaves + Sallet, and Elemental Drowcraft Assault Vambraces.

Necklace: Lostmauth's Hoard Necklace.
Belt: Golden Belt of Pussiance.
Rings: The Jewelcrafting Personalized Rings (Recovery, Revitilization, or Piercing) or any of the +4/+5 Rings of Rising Power, Rising Precision, Brutality, Sudden Precision, Ambush shall do.
Shirt/Pants: Drowcraft Shirt/Pants or Beserker's Gemmed Exquisite Elemental Shirt/Pants are the best.

Artifacts

Lantern of Revelation and Lostmauth's Horn of Blasting are almost mandatory. Otherwise, I personally liked these artifacts:

-Thayan Book of the Dead
-Sigil of the Controller
-Wheel of Elements
-Horn of Valhalla
- Sigil of the Great Weapon
- Heart of the Blue Dragon
-Symbol of Water

Best Combo:
Wheel of Elements (primary), Lostmauth's Horn of Blasting, Lantern of Revelation, and Sigil of the Controller.

Companions:

Augment is a must (Ioun Stones of Allure, Black Dragon, Might, etc.). Then you have your choices of mixing and matching the following:

-Air Archon
-Fire Archon
-Siege Master
-Intellect Devourer
-Blink Dog
-Dancing Blade
-Enryines of Belail
-Staldorf

My combo:
Air Archon, Blink Dog, Enryines of Belail, and Dancing Blade

Mounts:

-Pick whatever has the stats you like.
-Tenser's Transformation has the best mount combat power.
-If you have the spare money to afford extra Insignias, aim for getting at least the Gladiator's Guile and Barbarian's Revelry insignia bonuses.
Last edited by RJC9000 on Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:22 am, edited 8 times in total.

TIME TO TIP THE SCALES!

Characters (NWO):
Hector (SM Destro GWF)
Micaiah (SS Thaum CW)
Anri (SM Tact GF)
Mark (Justice Healadin)
RJC9000
Ally
Ally

5/12/15 - Squired

Short Guide Part 3: How do I GWF?

Post by RJC9000 »

How do I GWF?

You are a DPSer, also known as a Striker or a damage dealer. Whatever the name is, the GWF excels at dishing out damage.

The best strategy is to buff yourself while building Determination, use Determination at a full bar, wreck enemies, rinse and repeat until enemies are dead or you beat the encounter.

Although you want to, don't try to facetank enemies. Respect enemies' attacks and dodge the red AoEs. A starting GWF will be somewhat of a glass cannon at first, but will later become just cannon.

(In the event you DO become just cannon, you need to make a mental list of what attacks you can disrespect or need to respect)

Wait for your tank to aggro the enemies and then you can do your thing (they will see you as a teammate rather than just another leeroy jenkins). Also remember to thank your buffers and your healer.

I prefer not to create a rotation flowchart, since I would like you to be flexible and not turn into a Flowchart Ken. But since you guys insist...

Loadout: Swordmaster Human build like above, Weapon Master Strike, Sure Strike, I. Battle Strike, D. Shout, H. Daggers, Crescendo, Avalanche of Steel, Weapon Master, Destroyer.

*Sees mobs* -> D. Shout -> H. Daggers -> WMS Strike -> Build Determination with Atwills -> Max or near full bar of Determination, Use Determination -> Hidden Daggers -> Spam Sure Strike/WMS -> Finish off any enemies with Indomitable Battle Strike, if not return to the first Daring Shout.
Last edited by RJC9000 on Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

TIME TO TIP THE SCALES!

Characters (NWO):
Hector (SM Destro GWF)
Micaiah (SS Thaum CW)
Anri (SM Tact GF)
Mark (Justice Healadin)
RJC9000
Ally
Ally

5/12/15 - Squired

in the event I need more room for a brief guide

Post by RJC9000 »

in case you guys need me to do something and want a TL;DR on something else
Last edited by RJC9000 on Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TIME TO TIP THE SCALES!

Characters (NWO):
Hector (SM Destro GWF)
Micaiah (SS Thaum CW)
Anri (SM Tact GF)
Mark (Justice Healadin)
bluebutton
Baroness
Baroness

Re: GWF Fundamentals Discussion: Long Guide and Short Guide

Post by bluebutton »

I'm really enjoying your reserved spaces. I keep thinking about resurrecting my GWF, but I'm not super interested in min-maxing an alt. But it is fun to be able to kill stuff quickly after doing dailies on my tank or healer. I guess I could always just content myself with being 3rd in paingiver. It's a step up from being 4th or 5th after all :)
*NOR/ BA-NW

Neverwinter--@abluebutton
Main: Krimsn (OP healer)
Alts: Kriket (GWF), Krifin (GF)
Mules: Krindl (SW), Kriplr (TR)

Guild Wars 2--bluebutton.1475
Onyx Ofnor
RJC9000
Ally
Ally

5/12/15 - Squired

Finished!

Post by RJC9000 »

Meh, guide's finished. Short version is likely what you guys were looking for, long version is more technical (aka: I try to explain stuff)
tornnomar wrote:I look forward to the complete thread.
To quote Fox Mccloud...

MISHON COMPRETU!
bluebutton wrote:I'm really enjoying your reserved spaces.
Well, that's a shame, they're almost all gone.

TIME TO TIP THE SCALES!

Characters (NWO):
Hector (SM Destro GWF)
Micaiah (SS Thaum CW)
Anri (SM Tact GF)
Mark (Justice Healadin)

Return to “Class Builds”