The Alpha Legacy - "Samantha - The Path to Redemption"

Tell your stories, post bios, character histories ...
GuardianElite
Realm: RIFT
House: Griffon
Record: Recruited: 11/26/2013
Squired: 12/26/2013
Baron: 3/19/2014
Rejoined NOR as Squire: 5/31/2015
Re-knighted 10/24/2015

The Alpha Legacy - "Samantha - The Path to Redemption"

Post by GuardianElite »

“There is a difference between knowing the path….and walking the path…”

Try as she might, Samantha could never outrun not only her Mother’s shadow, but also the shadow her entire family had cast over the galaxy many, many times. It was a new age and a new set of Alphas. Determined to carve her own path Samantha embarked on the trials on Mirial that all Mirialans must face to earn their ‘stripes’, so to speak. Having put it off long enough, Samantha requested and was granted leave from the Jedi Academy to go to Mirial and participate in the latest set of trials being held on the dusky and dry planet. She kept her head low to avoid attention, tucking her bright red hair under her hood and pulling it a little farther over her head; wrapping her body up in the robe against the chill of the freighter's bad climate control system.

It was third class, she refused to travel in anything other than the class that most refuges would travel. Though she had access to credits, lots of them if she needed; Samantha never touched a single credit determined to make it on her own. It had been that way since the day she walked out and turned her back on her Mother. Though she kept tabs on how her Mother was doing through her step-father, Sam had not directly talked to her Mother for some time. Mrysti being totally against Samantha joining the Jedi and turning her back on the reconstituted Sith Empire.

It was where her heart called her and even though her Aunt Karolin understood and even told her as much, Mrysti was dismayed. Even Karolin could not convince her sister that Sam had to make her own way. And in explaining it to Mrysti, Karolin made her sister aware that Samantha had so much of Mrysti inside of her; including that drive and stubborn determination that made her who she was. What Sam had that her Mother didn’t was an empathy and compassion that knew no bounds. Spared the hard life her Mother had endured, Sam had indeed grown to be exactly what Porchia questioned and surmised Mrysti would have been had she been spared the kind of life she had to endure. Sam was indeed her Mother’s daughter with every fiber of her being.

Though it was mostly a set up, Karolin saw to it that Samantha had the very best of Jedi Masters to instruct her. That was never supposed to be something that was predetermined and Sam had originally made Karolin swear to not interfere. It was like talking to a wall, Sam said it with a skeptical tint to her voice. She knew even as she spoke the words Karolin was going to arrange Sam to have a Master that the family approved of, that Karolin approved of. And it was with much reluctance that Sam not only started training with one of Karolin’s old mentors, but a man of such broad vision half the time Sam was not sure what side of the Force he was on. Karolin’s objective was to make Sam well rounded to give her a broader view of the Force. But there was another objective that Sam didn’t quite get yet and would not get for some time. By accepting both sides of the Force and becoming more worldly in the use of the Living Force, Sam would hopefully one day see eye to eye with her Mother, Mrysti. It was Karolin’s hope that through the Force, they would someday reconcile with one another.

As Sam thought about her Mother and the disagreements they had, she realized she could never be the brute or ‘Hammer’ her Mother was. Samantha was simply too subtle. A trait which was quickly identified as she entered the Jedi Academy and which placed her on a tract to become what was known as a Jedi Shadow. They held the power of Sages and the skill of the Sentinels. It made sense to Karolin when she learned of it. Mrysti was once a Consular before becoming the raging psychopath she emerged under the cruel tutelage of the Sith. Mrysti scoffed at the revelation, her daughter was to become a Shadow. ‘Lurkers, Assassins…’ That’s what Mrysti had called them, but the Shadows were so much more, more than even her Mother could even surmise.

As the freighter announced arrival in the Mirial system, Samantha shifted in her seat for what seemed like the first time since she left Coruscant. Looking around and stretching slightly, the hood fell away from her head as a lock of bright red hair fell out from under it. Samantha grimaced as she tucked the hair back into her hood snatching it over her head as she murmured to herself, “Maybe I should have dyed it…Karolin looked good as a blonde…”

Mirial was a dry planet and incredibly dusty. The climate was harsh and more than Samantha expected as she walked down the ramp to the starport. She had never actually been to Mirial. Like the other Mirialan women in her family all of them were from somewhere else. Sam having grown up in a time of yet another galactic conflict. Life was stable for the most part, but she always wondered what their home planet was like. Edessa was home, the desert was home so Samantha was used to the heat, but this planet was a different kind of dry. There were trees and plants and as she exited the spaceport to look out over the landscape of the home she never knew, she wondered how any of it could grow in this climate. It was desert like, but with greenness no one could expect from such a place. Magical in a way, something hit Sam as strange, her heart fluttered slightly looking out upon it. This was their home and suddenly seeing all of the green skin and the green faces, Sam felt more at home than she had in the past few years.

Growing up in Edessa, Sam was given privilege beyond measure by her step-father. An Arkanian, Sam’s step-father doted on the girl; much to Mrysti’s chagrin who was determined that only through pain and sacrifice could Sam even hope to survive the galaxy. It caused much strife between Mrysti and Sam’s step-father who constantly argued as to what was right and what was wrong in the raising of such a beautiful child. Mrysti always won, she was the Mother after all and a Force User to boot. As she would explain to her husband time and time again, ‘It’s a Force thing…you just simply can’t understand it…’. Sam never bought into it, she played along until she was ready to confront her Mother on her own. As Sam looked out over the planet and remembered the day she left, she frowned slightly.

“Again…Samantha!!! How do you ever hope to achieve greatness through mediocrity?!?! You will never survive in this galaxy if you don’t learn to ‘pull the trigger’…AGAIN!!!”

It was a day of days, Samantha had already bested four of her step-father’s finest slaves, but she was loathed to faced the last. An already injured man, Sam could sense it was a test by her Mother, to see if she could indeed be merciless against a weaker enemy. The man haphazardly attacked Sam swinging a blade at her clumsily, which Sam quickly avoided looking up at her Mother angrily.

“Why Mother??? This man can barely stand….he is no threat to me…”

With a look of shock and surprise, Mrysti jumped down off the balcony to the arena floor below. Not quite as light as she used to be, Mrysti landed hard on the ground, but on her feet. She snatched the lightsaber from Samantha’s hand and glared at her raising her other hand to the slave for him to hold.

“Why? WHY?!?! You dare question me? Insolent child!!! I train you…I care for you, give you everything I never had and you question ME?!?!”, Mrysti shoved Samantha on the shoulder, though Sam was solid enough by that point that she barely moved, handing the lightsaber back to her, “Strike him down!! Kill him…he has orders to kill you. A man faces you…he is your enemy and we give no quarter to our enemies…”

This had been coming for some time. Samantha failing to finish a challenge of death that her Mother had set up for her. Samantha simply not having the heart to kill a weaker foe. She stared at her Mother defiantly, finally turning off the lightsaber and dropping it on the ground as she folded her arms over her chest.

“No. I won’t…I won’t kill a weaker person…not now, not ever…”, Mrysti simmered with rage as she bent down picking up the saber and clutching it tightly. It groaned under the pressure Mrysti placed on it threatening to crack it open, but Sam was not finished, “I’m not you Mother…and I never will be.” She gave her Mother a kind, sad look, “And…I am sorry for you. I pity you…I am sorry you had to endure the life you have. It has made you who you are and I love you. But, I can’t be you…”

Turning abruptly Mrysti activated the saber in time with the motion of her hands. The purple blade sliced the slave in half as it activated at the last second before striking him. Sam stepped back in shock raising her hands slightly. She of course had seen this side of her Mother before, had even witnessed her Mother kill in defense of others or during a battle. She never got used to seeing her Mother do what she was so very adept at with almost no feeling at all. Life…all life was precious to Samantha. A fact that had somehow gotten lost to Mrysti decades before and any hope of ever convincing her Mother otherwise was lost along the same time. As Mrysti turned, the fires of rage still burning behind her eyes Sam lowered her hands and sagged slightly.

“I am leaving Mother…I am going away. I can’t be part of this anymore and I won’t let you turn me into what you’ve become. I can’t change you…and I don’t want to. I love you just like you are, the galaxy needs people like you…but, this is not me…it just isn’t…”

Sam lowered her head slightly saying a silent prayer in the Force for the soul her Mother had just taken before she turned to walk off. Mrysti called out to her angrily before she got to the door.

“You leave…you stay gone. You understand me?!?! YOU STAY GONE!!!”,Samantha turned as a tear streaked down her face nodding to her Mother as she always did. She didn’t say anything as she looked on the older woman who’s veneer of rage threatened to break as Mrysti’s chin started to vibrate slowly, “You will see…one day, you will see. You cannot go through the universe without becoming cold to the reality of it. One day…you are going to know…” With that Mrysti turned and walked the opposite direction.

Sam sucked in a deep breath and let it out. That was it. And as Sam walked out walking to the lift that would take her to Edessa’s launch, she felt resolved. There was a sadness at having to confront her Mother, but resolute determination. One day, Sam was going to prove her Mother wrong and on that day, she would make her Mother proud.

What Sam didn’t see, what she couldn’t possibly know was the collapse Mrysti had once she made it to the recess of the exit tunnels darkness. Falling against the wall, Mrysti slid down against it and landed hard on her back. She brought her hands to her face and cried hysterically. A parent must always face the day that the child will leave the nest. But, Mrysti pushed too hard, she trained her too hard. There are no manuals on how to raise a child, it is done based off the experience of the one who does the raising. And Mrysti’s experience although terrifying also held a simple truth. One she wished to impart to her daughter. The universe is a cruel place to a kind soul. Mrysti only wanted to prepare her for that. In a way, she did.

Stepping up to the registrar, Sam smiled brightly as she lowered the hood handing the clerk her identification. The clerk was bored out of his mind and it showed, until he started typing the serial number from Sam’s identification into the Holo-net database. Suddenly the clerk looked up and lost a bit of color in his green face. He swallowed hard handing the ID back to Sam.

“S-Samantha Alpha…d-daughter of Darth Retuvisa?”

Sighing heavily, Sam looked down. Even on a planet that she had never been to and that her Mother didn’t frequent she couldn’t outrun it. Everywhere, no matter how far, her Mother’s shadow always cast long and strong over her. It helped in a way, it made Sam more resolute in her quest to carve out her own path. As she nodded to the clerk taking the ID back she said nothing as the clerk slowly stood watching Sam in awe as she started to move away.

“Y-your Mother saved us…she saved us all!!! Force bless and keep her!!!”

Sam shook her head and raised her hand in acknowledgement as she walked away. It was like this everywhere, no matter where she went. But as she stepped up to the next registrar, the one for the trials, things seemed to take a different turn. The man sitting behind this desk as much larger and not at all bored by his duties. He watched the exchange at the customs desk between Sam and the other clerk and now held a wicked smile as he reached his hand out to snatch the ID from Sam. The man stood slowly, his own shadow dwarfing Sam as he loomed over her.

Looking up, Sam could see the tattered battle armor he wore, symbols of both the Republic and the Mirial defense force covering spots that were marred with scorch marks and burns. The scarred face reminded her of her Mother, which along with scars borne of a life of hardship and battle also showed the prominent tattoos of a man who had faced every trial on Mirial…and won.

As he glared at the ID, he looked over the top of it to a smiling Sam, who quickly lost the smile as he leaned forward, “They may kiss the ground you walk on because of your Mother…but here, you will have to earn your place. I don’t give a rats dung hole who your Mother is…out there, on the trail…her memory or her legend ain’t gonna get you past these trials. Not if I can help it…” He shoved the ID back to Sam who took it defiantly and continued her smile at him. ‘At last’, she thought. Looking up at the man with the same look he gave and just a hint of wickedness, Sam replied in kind.

“Thank you, Sir…I expect nothing less…”
Mize, Level 60: Sith Juggernaut
Mrysti, Level 65: Sith Juggernaut
Sicness, Level 60: Sith Inquisitor
Amalgom, Level 60: Imperial Operative
Marstel, Level 60: Bounty Hunter
Karolin (Dark-side), Level 65: Sith Mararder

RTninefoursix, Level 65: Republic Vanguard
RTninefourfive, Level 60: Republic Commando
Karolin, Level 65: Jedi Sage
Porchia, Level 65: Gunslinger
Derrick-veruna, Level 65: Jedi Guardian
Beta, Level 60: Jedi Sentinel
V'ictoria, Level 60: Scoundrel
Valikk
Duke
Duke
Realm: Final Fantasy XIV
Record: Recruited by Zyera
Recruit - 04/22/2012
Squire - 07/29/2012
Knight - 05/21/2013
DMG; KP - 07/20/2013
Champion - 10/24/2013
DMG; DM - 03/19/2014
Baron - 03/19/2014
Count - 07/24/2016
Duke - 10/10/2017

Re: The Alpha Legacy - "Samantha - The Path to Redemption"

Post by Valikk »

I like it!! :yay

:hailnor

SWTOR - Witherbane Legacy
GW2 - Valikk.3810
GuardianElite
Re-knighted 10/24/2015

Post by GuardianElite »

"I know I said I don't want to be you...but, I AM you....with every fiber of my being
- Jedi Knight Samantha Alpha, speaking to her Mother at her Mother's Deathbed...

More like Belsavis, Mirial seemed to change climate-wise overnight as Sam stood on the precipice preparing for the first challenge. The planet was cold and it blew in like a hydrosaw that cut through wood, Sam could feel the chill in her bones. The same attendant as the day prior, the large Mirialan soldier, stood in front of the group. Sam realized he was more than an average soldier or just an attendant for the challenges; this man was one of the lead instructors and trainers for the contests.

“You all are measured on your skill in completing these challenges, some will be measured more than others as they have been scaled taking into account your age and your skill upon entering the contest. Some of you will go to the red marker…” He turned his gaze toward Sam, “….and some of you will go all the way to the top…”

Pointing to the top of the jagged steep mountain, Sam swallowed hard as she followed the finger. She had never seen a mountain so incredibly jagged with very few plateaus as it skyrocketed upward.

“Those of you with special ‘gifts’…” The instructor looked at Sam again saying the last word with a bit of distain, “…will find that this mountain knows no conqueror. Your ‘Force’ is not going to help you up there, no matter how much you try to use it to help you ascend to the top, you will end up doing this entirely on your own strength. Use your instincts, look where you are going…I am not going to tell you to be safe…” As the other combatants moved off the line and started down the trail, the instructor held out an arm stopping Sam. He sneered at her, his words dripping with venom once again, “For everyone else, this is not a timed exercise, but for you…” He held up a Chrono, “….you have 4 hours to get to the top and back down again…”, Sam’s mouth dropped open as her face twisted in anger. This was deliberate and the instructor was trying to sink her before she even started. He looked at her with a sarcastic expression, “Something to say Candidate? Go ahead…backtalk me…I dare you…”

Sam knew well enough that any action to the staff was grounds for dismissal from the contest. She bowed her head graciously as she was taught and smiled looking down at the arm still holding her back, “No Sir…and thank you for the challenge. I hope I meet your…expectations…” The man scoffed dropping his arm.

“Go on!!! Get out of here!!!”

Putting a little extra speed behind her in the Force, Sam moved past the others to get to the base of the mountain, she stopped looking up at it and trying to gauge where her first handhold would be. Right as she was told, the Force was going to do her little good in this challenge. The handholds were few and far between, some of them resting on a negative axis. She would have to use skill and cunning to maneuver which way to go up and figure out the best paths to cross. Handholds would lead to others and only her skill at judging which would lead to a proper path and not a deadend she would have to backtrack from would make her successful.

As she jumped up grabbing the first and pulling herself up on it she smiled. For once thanking her Mother for some of the things she put her through…..

Edessa, Samantha Age 6….

“Climb it, girl!!! I am done coddling you…”

Sam fell off the wall once again as Mrysti slowly let her head down and shook it annoyingly. Rubbing her knee, Sam knew better than to cry, even though it hurt. She sat rubbing her leg and looked up at her mother as Mrysti dropped down from the top of the wall strolling over to her. Reaching down Mrysti picked Sam up and stood her upright looking in her face. Mrysti smiled faintly.

“Samantha…look at me.” Samantha looked at her mother sadly with an ashamed look, “Right now, you are telling yourself you can’t do it. You’re looking at that rock wall and you’re thinking, ‘It’s so high…how can I possibly…’ But you can…and you will.” Mrysti stood up from kneeling in front of her daughter and placed her hands on her hips looking down. It was an imposing figure to look at. Sam was always in awe of how strong and determined her mother always seemed. To Sam, Mrysti was this larger than life invincible figure that dwarfed everyone around them. Mrysti smiled down at her daughter again and grabbed one of Sam’s hands. “Nothing…is impossible. With these hands, you will do and can do amazing things. With these hands you can forge your own destiny and carve a path for others to follow. These hands will keep you safe, feed you and ensure that you never…ever bow to anyone.” Mrysti looked up at the wall, “…but only if you make them do it. Only if…you get yourself up and over that wall. I have shown you how, now you must quiet the fear in your mind and allow your hands to do their work…”

Stepping back, Mrysti watched the little face get tight and determined. Sam’s little hands flexed and squeezed as she stood up and glared at the wall angrily. Sam grit her little teeth and tightened her mouth as she slapped her hand on the first synthetic handhold. Pulling herself up she grimaced and grunted until she made it to the negative hold that she kept falling from. Sam stopped, she paused as fear once again began to creep in. Mrysti scowled as Sam looked down at her.

“Get up there!!! Do it now Samantha…if you fall this time, you will hurt yourself severely. The only way down…is up!”

Gritting her little teeth again, Sam slapped a hand above her head on the negative hold and dangled free as her legs came off the wall. Like crossing monkey bars, Sam grabbed the first negative hold then the next. For a moment, she lost her hold on one and nearly fell. Sam didn’t see her Mother flinch to go and catch her thinking her daughter was about to fall, but Mrysti steeled herself against it. If Sam fell she was going to let it happen. She had to, she said it and she had to stay true to her word no matter how hard it was to watch. As Sam grimaced loudly bringing the hand back up and slapping it on the hold, she pulled herself by will alone up and over the wall, climbing slowly to the top.

Triumphant, Sam smiled brightly looking down at her Mother who simply nodded in response. Mrysti was very proud, but she would not let her daughter see it. No, Sam had to think it was just one of many tests she would pass and that any passing was nothing special. Otherwise, Mrysti could not continue to push her. As Sam watched, Xerxes her step-father walked up looking up at Sam and winking with a big smile across his face.

“Good job, pumpkin!!! You did good! I was watching from over there…”

Sam couldn’t hear what was said as Mrysti pulled Xerxes aside, but she could tell by the glare her mother gave her it wasn’t good. Sam moved away from the wall and down toward the desert to take the back stairs.

“Xerxes…I have told you. And I will not tell you again…you are not to encourage her or give her praise of any kind! She is a Sith…she will do because that is what she is supposed to do or suffer in failure…”

Giving his wife a skeptical look Xerxes half-smiled and looked around to ensure no one was hearing them, “She is six years old, Mrysti. Look at what she is doing at six years old?!?! I have slaves that can’t do half of what she can…I have mercenaries who are scared of heights!!” He folded his arms, “I think you are pushing her too hard…” He raised his finger at Mrysti, “…and you are going to regret it one day.”

Mrysti scowled at her husband slapping the finger away, “One…don’t you EVER point your finger at me again.” The look she gave was deadly serious, but Xerxes was used to Mrysti and her bouts of rage and craziness by now. It had been a year since Sam and Mrysti had moved to Edessa and in that time the only points of contention between the two of them were Sam. Mrysti trained her hard and Xerxes never agreed. He wholehearted believed that Sam should be raised to be a warrior like her mother, but not at the expense of her childhood. And certainly not at the expense of being loved. Already Xerxes was seeing a change in Sam, a distance forming. And he didn’t like it. Mrysti put her hands on her hips and glared as she continued, “And two, as soon as you get your Force powers, you let me know…last time I checked, there is only ONE Dark Lord in this family…me. I will decide what is best for my daughter not yo—“

Xerxes did in fact raise the finger again and this time glared back daring Mrysti to say anything, “…OUR daughter. Not just yours…you get a say, but I do too…and I don’t like this.”

Mrysti felt this coming for sometime, it was time to emphasize a rule that she laid down when she originally agreed to move in over a year prior. They had only been married a few weeks and already it seemed Xerxes was forgetting the original arrangement. It seemed the old adage was true, ‘They DO change when you marry them’. Smiling wickedly, Mrysti stepped back and raised her arms in a mock defeat.

“Fine…then I will just go and collect my things so that Sam and I can leave. She will need a proper education and I simply can’t do that here with your interference…can I?” Mrysti grinned wickedly as Xerxes already pale complexion seemed to lose another ounce of color. He barred his teeth, Mrysti had her claws so far into him he simply couldn’t say no as much as he wanted to. The truth was he wanted to haul off and smack her at that moment as hard as he could, but instead he looked down placing his own hands on his hips. She was forcing him to choose, it was rare, but Mrysti did like pushing him into a corner.

“This is incredibly unfair of you…I just want you to know. Forcing me to choose sides when you know I can’t…” He threw his hands up, “Fine! You win…do what you want, kriffin’ kill her if you want…” As Xerxes started to storm away, he turned back making sure he pointed the finger back to his wife and showed her as much anger as he could muster, “But you mark my works, Mrysti…YOU WILL regret this…”

Mrysti laughed as Xerxes stormed away calling out to him, “What??? You’re going to punish me later??? I fully expect that…”

Xerxes turned back again, not giving the response she expected, “No…I am not sleeping with you tonight. I am staying elsewhere. You don’t have to worry about me…YOUR regret is going to come the day Sam turns her back on you…and trust me, she will….”

Setting up on the highest perch he could pay for Xerxes smiled as he lowered the Macrobinoculars glancing over to his side. It took some doing, he called in favors and it was a trick to enter the system and come in the backdoor undetected, but Mrysti would have it no other way. She stood next to him trying to peer the distance over to the jagged mountain in hopes of getting a look. He smiled passing her the binos.

“She’s on the third summit…moving toward the red flag…making good time…”

Snatching the binos, Mrysti lifted them to get a look, “You expected less…she has been well trained.”

Though this was entirely his idea, Mrysti did not say ‘no’ and knowing what he knew of his wife of over 10 years, he knew she wanted to come here and see Sam compete, even though she never directly said it. Xerxes smiled again and shook his head at the comment. Mrysti was proud, but of course voiced it in her own way.

“Yes. Yes she has…she had a great teacher…”

Mrysti lowered the binos to look at him a little of that gruff exterior breaking down as she smiled slightly finally lifting them back to her eyes, “Flattery will get you everywhere, Sir…and you know that…” As Mrysti watched, she wondered why Sam seemed to be rushing, she looked sloppy and haphazard in some of her decisions on which path to take, some of her handholds made no logical sense as Mrysti watched her daughter backtrack, “I don’t get it…Samantha is better than this…why is she rushing. She is much more methodical than she is letting on.”

Pursing his lips, Xerxes didn’t want to say anything. He had been informed by the guide who helped set up the arrangements that the ‘Council’ overseeing the events had taken a special interest in Sam. It was due solely to her name. They wanted to see her fail, not everyone revered the name ‘Mrysti Alpha’ throughout the galaxy. Mrysti watched as Xerxes looked away.

“What??? You know something….tell me…”

“This is what I get for marrying a Sith…” Xerxes smiled and looked back at the mountain, “This is not a timed event…it is an event for completion.”

“Yes, I know that…”

“Well, they are timing Sam…she has four hours to get up and back down…according to the ‘Council’.”

The binos started to crack in Mrysti’s grasp as she began to get angry, “What? They are doing what???” Mrysti looked behind herself at the path leading down, Xerxes already knew how this was about to go and he put up his arm to stop her. Before Mrysti could complain he spoke evenly and plainly.

“You can’t…if you go down there, IF you interfere even once, Sam is going to hate us both. You said it yourself, she has got to make her own way, even if that way is more difficult.”

“But they are punishing her because of me…that is not FAIR!”

Xerxes finally felt the world turn and he let it show in the wicked smile he gave to his wife as he lowered his arm. He won all he had to do was say it.

“Life…is not fair, my beloved…isn’t that what you said? Win at all costs? You made her into what she is…she will not fail because of that. But you going down there is going to prove two things…one that you don’t have faith in her abilities and two…that you don’t think she can do it without you.” Xerxes took the binos from her lifting them back to his eyes, “Plus…you will be letting her know you’re here and I KNOW you are vehemently against that…”

Mrysti brooded and reluctantly sat down in the field chair that was provided for her, hard. Yes, he was right on all counts. It didn’t mean that she didn’t want to go down there and throttle the Mirial Council for their slight to her ‘good’ name.

GuardianElite
Re-knighted 10/24/2015

Post by GuardianElite »

"I have often feared that the Sins of my past would come back to haunt me...now I fear my Sins my be passed to my children..."

Wrapping her arms around her legs, Samantha Alpha sat trying to catch her breath. With less than 30 minutes to spare, she had earned her first challenge tattoos in a competition that Mirialan society has determined was a rite of passage for their people. Not everyone was happy however, the instructor giving a skeptical glare to the girl as he walked past handing out the next assignments. Samantha took the flimsy, but didn’t look at it putting her head between her legs and looking down. Even though she passed, she was still disappointed in herself. Doubt was creeping in as she reached the final summit. She started to question if she could finish all of it. Their were few who went all the way through, there was no shame in not completing them all, the Mirialan people designed the challenges to break the candidates down. You were supposed to fail, it was part of understanding yourself, knowing your limitations and pushing yourself to achieve. And continue to achieve for the rest of their lives. But, Samantha was not satisfied with that. She had to finish them all. Her Mother had finished them all and she would be better than her Mother. To do otherwise would be sending a clear message. That she was not ready to stand on her own.

Though she was much older than the typical candidate to start the trials, some Mirialans competed their whole lives in various phases of the competition. There was no time limit or statute of limitations. Youth played a big part in having the vitality to complete some of the various parts of the competitions, but it was also a thinking man’s game. Or in Samantha’s case a thinking woman’s game. As she looked up lifting the water bottle over her head to squirt some of the liquid into her mouth she caught one of the men in the race with her glancing her direction. It wasn’t a look of distain, which she was so used to receiving at that point from not only the lead instructor, but some of the other competitors. They hated her. They hated her because she was a Jedi, they hated her because she hadn’t grown up on Mirial, they hated her because she was a spoiled little rich girl; but more importantly they hated her because of her Mother.

It struck some of the Galaxy as odd that one of the primary saviors after the fall was Mrysti Alpha; a Dark Lord of the Sith. A hated enemy of everything the Republic and at that time Mirial stood for. Mrysti formed a Coalition, banded the various groups together and never accepted defeat. Doing it not only once, but twice, Mrysti led the Coalition in a fight for the Galaxies very survival…and she won. That didn’t sit well with the Mirial people, though she was one of their own she too never grew up on Mirial. She was a hated enemy of the former Republic and now was again that it had been reformed; though they had given her a reprieve due to her service to the Galaxy in a time of strife. But most hated Mrysti simply because she wouldn’t die. Not fighting the Republic, the Zakuul or even the Sith in some cases; Mrysti simply couldn’t be beaten and even when she was, she refused to stay down. That didn’t sit well with some people, especially the Mirialan’s who viewed her as a traitor to some of their core values in her allegiance to the Sith.

Samantha had a lot to live up to, her Mother’s shadow followed her everywhere, but as she looked at the man who was glancing her direction she was surprised to see him give her a shy smile. The young Mirialan male got up and moved over next to Sam, gesturing for permission to sit. Sam quickly and shockingly nodded ‘Yes…of course’ and scooted a little to the side to allow him some room next to the base of the tree.

“Hey…you’re Samantha right? Samantha Alpha?”

Brushing a lock of her bright red hair back behind her ear Sam smiled shyly and extended her hand, “Yes.” Social graces were never a specialty for her. And lately Sam was finding it harder and harder to make friends. Be it at the Jedi Academy or really anywhere. She was becoming jaded in some ways, never sure if people approached her to shake hands of just get close to spit in her face. Again the specter of her Mother ghosting her wherever she went. Using her Jedi senses more and more in these situations, Sam felt no malice from the young man, only curiosity as he took her hand shaking it gently before sitting down. He seemed to have a sense of what was going on, looking up at the others who were casting glares Sam’s and now his direction as well.

“Don’t let them get to you…they are just jealous that you were timed. It earned you an extra stripe and another mark. Not everyone gets the extra challenge. They reserve that for the ones they most revere.”, Sam raised an eyebrow looking at him curiously, she didn’t know that. She thought the timing was a malicious act. He could see she was confused and smiled getting his own water bottle to drink out of it, “Oh yea…only the strongest of us are given the extra challenge and it’s not just because you’re a Jedi, though that probably played into it. It had more to do with your…” The young man stopped speaking as he saw Sam begin to frown, “…background. I’m sorry did I say something wrong…I mean, I should have…” He got up, “…I should just go. I’m sorry to have bothered you…” Sam grabbed his shirt as he got up stopping him.

“Wait…no, it’s me…I’m sorry I should have…” She smiled shyly as the young man stopped, looking down at her. This was definitely not her thing, always awkward in social situations and even moreso around members of the opposite sex, Sam never quite got hold of how Men and Women were supposed to act around one another. If it wasn’t the situation itself holding her back, it was her Mother who was ultra-protective. Mrysti had drummed it into Sam that Men always wanted something. Even moreso from women of power. She started thinking back to that last social engagement. Her Aunt Karolin trying desperately to guide her through the turmoil of her ‘coming out’ party. It was the night she had something big to tell her Aunt Karolin, but it was also the night she had her first real interaction with men in general, “…you didn’t even give me your name.” He smiled lifting the bottle back up and squirting some water in his mouth.

“I’m Kac…It’s nice to meet you Samantha.”

--

Alderaan, Samantha, Age 16…6 Months before she leaves home…

It was a huge affair, the best that credits could pay for. Xerxes spared no expense for his little girl’s ‘sweet sixteen’. As per usual, he called in favors, greased palms and did what all high powered business men did ‘took care of those who took care of him’. It was bigger than a Royal Gala, in fact held in the same location as the annual ‘Meeting of the Royal Houses’. Each year the various royal families set aside their differences, put down their allegiances for one night just to celebrate. Everything seemed to outdo that year’s Royal gathering, even the clothing. All of the Alpha women dressed in finery that was befitting Kings and Queens. Karolin of course was the exception as she loitered in the corner nursing a glass of Alderannian Champagne, the vintage reserved for those same Kings and Queens. She looked at the glass and raised an eyebrow after her second sip of the nectar. Xerxes truly spared no expense in putting all of this together.

Dressed in a fine blue velvet dress with a light gauzy outer dress, Karolin opted to go without the head adornment and jewels that accompanied the arrangement. She left that to Mrysti and Samantha. It was Sam’s party after all. And as she lifted the glass to Sam who stood by the mirror, Mrysti fussing and adjusting Sam’s dress, Karolin smiled. The frown on Sam’s face was enough to telegraph what she was thinking, Karolin didn’t need to be a Jedi to understand it or read her mind. Sam was frustrated with her Mother and Mrysti was upset as usual.

“Samantha…I will not tell you again. Stay still…I realize of course that you have NEVER worn anything like this, but if you could please act like you have…that would be appreciated.”, Mrysti stood up to her full height after adjusting the gilded chest belt on Sam’s Dress, that in and of itself could have bought a small fleet of Imperial Dreadnaughts, looking at her Daughter and smiling plainly, “There…now you look proper.” Sam started to move away from the mirror without saying anything as Mrysti grabbed her arm, “Now remember…graciousness, demur…proper. This is your birthday party…but, you are the host. You are above them all. Not only is it your celebration, it is also your chance to show how well you can present yourself…”

Sam jerked her arm away slightly, much to her Mother’s annoyance, “Yes, Mother…I know. How many times do you have to say it. We have been over this for what…OH, my whole life.” Sam started to walk away murmuring under her breath, “It’s not enough to be a killer…you have to be a ‘gracious’ killer…”.

“Excuse me….I didn’t catch that. Samantha!...”, Mrysti started to chase after Sam only hearing part of the comment as Karolin smirked and made her own comment at her sister.

“Oh give it a rest, Mrysti…”

Standing at nearly 7’ tall that evening, Mrysti was unusually tall given the heels she was wearing as she lorded over her much shorter sister, who chose not only to not wear all of the finery that went with the velveteen dress, but also go completely barefoot. The crown on Mrysti’s head shined in the light as she angled it down glaring at her sister. “That girl refuses to listen…I don’t know how I ever—“

“Oh yes, you do…” Karolin laughed, “You need to seriously lighten up…I mean look at you.”

“Excuse me, Karolin…but when you have your own child you can—“ Mrysti stopped and turned a shade greener from embarrassment as Karolin pushed herself up off the wall at the comment, anger growing, “I-I’m sorry…Karolin I didn’t mean…I meant that…” Karolin pursed her lips and gestured with the glass as some of the liquid sloshed out of it.

“No…it’s fine Mrysti….he’s been dead over 10 years…no one remembers my Son and that’s ok…” Karolin slammed the glass down on the ground shattering it, “…because I remember him.” Karolin looked up at her unusually tall sister and poked her in the chest. There were things that needed to be said. For years, Karolin sat back and watched Mrysti raise Sam and in some ways Karolin raised her as well. If Mrysti was the combat side of Samantha’s training; Karolin was everything else. The shoulder to cry on when Sam couldn’t understand her Mother, the person Sam asked questions of when she was too ashamed to ask her Mother. Mrysti had created a rift between herself and Sam and it started at 6 years old. Karolin was there every step of the way, protecting them both....from one another. But, the comment made Karolin come unglued, now she was angry. Beta, Karolin’s only Son had sacrificed himself at the Battle of Korriban and not a day went by that Karolin didn’t think of him. In a way Karolin consoled herself with his loss by pouring her love into Sam, love that Samantha never got from her own Mother.

“You know…you stand here all dressed up, being something you’re not. And you tell yourself that you are busy being a proper Mother and a role model to that little girl…no wait, excuse me….young WOMAN now. Look at you…playing this role that you think you have to play, being all strict and high and mighty because you think that is what Sam needs?!?! You are a crazy bitch, Mrysti and Sam is going to kriffin’ let you know someday…you are driving her away with all of this bullshit, instead of just letting her BE…”

Mrysti rolled her eyes and looked away, “You’re drunk Karolin…get a hold of yourself….” Karolin smiled wickedly continuing to push with her finger and making her larger sister back up a step.

“I maybe drunk…off my ass even. But I am not too drunk to see. You’re scared…you know I am right and it kriffin’ scares the living shit out of you, doesn’t it!”

Mrysti pushed back on the finger glaring down at Karolin, “I don’t know what you’re talking about. All I am trying to do is instill some decorum in my daughter so that she is not viewed as—“

“Viewed as what?!?! What?!?! Viewed as YOU were never viewed??” Karolin stepped back folding her arms with the wicked smile still in place, “You can’t live through her Mrysti. YOU CAN’T be HER!! And she can’t be you…” Mrysti turned her nose up pretending she didn’t know what her sister was talking about. Though the two of them had never talked about it, Karolin knew that Mrysti was scared. She was scared for Sam because of the things she had done. It was always Mrysti’s intention to eventually let Sam make her own way, but in preparing her for that she was driving her daughter away. The fear that Sam would be judged because of all the evil things Mrysti done in her life plaguing her and keeping her up at night. It was time for Karolin to give Mrysti a reality check.

“I don’t know what you’re referring to, Karolin.”

“Oh you know…don’t play high and mighty with me. Sure, you got married…you got respectable, but deep down inside I know who you are! You can hide from everyone else, but you can NOT hide from me. You are still this tall, slutty, angry killing machine that hungers to do and take whatever they want.” Karolin leaned up against the wall and laughed, “Where would you be…had you not married Xerxes? Hmm? I’ll tell you where…sucking cock from whomever you felt like you wanted to, whenever you wanted, chaining people up…use the rack lately??”

“That’s enough!!!”

“YEA…get mad…I want you to. Get angry…take it out on me, hit me; hurt me baby! Because you need too, you need to in order to see…YOU are not the mother of the year. Hell, you are not even the mother of the hour. You are nothing but this scared little woman and yes I said ‘little’; that’s afraid her daughter is going to grow up and be the slutty, depraved, psychopathic Dark Lord her Mother was…get mad, but get mad at the right person, Mrysti!!!”, Mrysti launched herself across the room and grabbed Karolin around the throat as Karolin finished speaking, “B-because t-the only o-one your angry at…i-is yourself…”

Releasing her sister, Mrysti tried to quell the bloodlust that had suddenly presented itself at her sister’s words, bending at the waist and placing her hands on her knees, “Y-you did that on purpose.”

Speaking softly, Karolin rubbed her neck and smiled as she started to leave the room, “Yes…of course I did. Mrysti, you can hide behind all of this, Xerxes…and even Sam. But in the end, you need to realize that none of this matters. We are who we are…and Sam is who she is. The point of trying to raise her has already passed. This is her coming out party…the little bird is about to leave the nest and you need to get ready to let go. Otherwise, you will never get to be yourself…ever again. And you will never be able to accept Sam for who she is going to be.” Karolin placed her hand on her sister’s back, “She is wonderful…it’s a shame you haven’t taken the time to look or appreciate that, so worried about how you look in raising her…”

Mrysti stood up following her sister out as the sound of horns heralded in the beginning of the festivities in the other room. She grabbed her sister’s arm, “I am only trying to prepare her for the world Karolin. She will suffer because of me…because of the things You and I have done. She needs to be ready for that and she needs to know…”

As the two of them entered the grand hall to the continued sound of the horns both women bowed slightly upon entrance as Karolin spoke out of the side of her mouth, “Trust me…she does.”

The altercation in the dressing room had an effect on Mrysti on many levels. More than anything she was watching her daughter from more of a distance than usual as Karolin stayed close to Sam. The two looked comfortable together as they laughed and joked with one another, much to Mrysti’s anguish. She wanted Sam to act more proper, but after the talking to in the dressing area she needed some time to think. Even Xerxes was keeping his distance from Mrysti as he could see something was off with her. After asking her if there was anything the matter and only getting a sad smile in return he blended back into the background, it was the girl’s night after all.

Sam laughed at the joke and poked her Aunt Karolin in the side. Nearly a head taller than Karolin already, she was already getting her Mother’s height. Karolin handed Sam the glass of champagne and gestured as she got her own off the tray, “Go ahead…this is what tonight is all about Sam. You are not a girl anymore…”, Sam glanced over at her Mother who was still giving her a worried look as Sam felt reluctant to take a sip of the glass after looking at her Mother. Karolin tipped at Sam’s elbow also glancing at Mrysti, “Don’t mind her…she just had an epiphany in the dressing room. She’s going to be fine.”

Sam didn’t ask, but she had some idea about it, both Mrysti and Karolin exiting the room into the grand hall a little flushed and slightly ruffled. The young human male that had been staring at Sam most of the night caught her eye again as Sam looked down nervously finally taking a sip of the glass and grimacing, “UGH…this is terrible. How do you—“ She handed the glass back to Karolin as she once again looked at the young man near the wall. Karolin saw the glances as well and smiled wickedly.

“Go talk to him…go…he’s really cute.”

Sam gave Karolin a look of shock and fear, again glancing up at her Mother who also was studying the exchange between Sam and the unknown suitor, “Oh no…Mother would have a Nerf…she said that Men are only after one thing when comes to us and I—“ Karolin laughed setting the glasses down.

“Sam…you’re old enough to know and you have probably surmised by now, your Mother and I aren’t saints. She has been with more men than I can count…well…not as many as me, but…”

Sam turned a shade greener at the revelation. She had some idea and even asked her Aunt about boys from time to time, especially after the ‘change’ started and she began to have urges that a woman coming of age naturally had. It was Karolin that Sam went to and it was Karolin who did her best to explain to a girl, at that time, of only 13. Karolin laughed again, “Aunt Karolin….I could gone the rest of the night without that image.”

Karolin lost the smile and looked at Sam plainly, “You are a Force User, you are an Alpha…and as such you share our appetite for things. Let me tell you, as a Sith it is going to get worse, especially the lust and passion for things. It takes the control of a Jedi to get through it all. And even then we falter, I know I did…” Karolin picked up the glass and drank deeply thinking of her fall and her redemption. Had she not married Derrick and gotten respectable herself, she may have fallen again. It was everything she could do now that he was gone to maintain that control. But she was older, wiser and much more aware of the urges that once plagued her. Sam looked at Karolin shyly and turned serious as Karolin caught her gaze, she knew that look. Sam had something important on her mind, “Oh this is bad…Sam, I know that look…”

Swallowing hard Sam leaned into Karolin, there was no easy way to say it so she was just going to. “It’s the subject of Jedi that I want to talk to you about…I would have said something earlier, but…anyway, I am joining the Jedi Academy on Coruscant. And…I haven’t told Mother, not yet. I don’t really know how to approach it…”

Thousands of thoughts raced through Karolin’s mind at the revelation. So many questions, so many problems that would emerge from Mrysti finding out, but it couldn’t be tonight, not on her coming out it would ruin it. Karolin grabbed Sam’s hands and smiled.

“We are not going to worry about that tonight baby….ok, this is YOUR party.” Karolin stepped around behind Sam and gave her a shove, “Now go…go over there and tell that boy who you are. Tell him ‘I am Samantha Alpha, welcome to my party…now you owe me a kiss…’, Sam shoved back playfully but did walk away turning to give Karolin a kind smile.

Mrysti stood up slowly at seeing her daughter approach the young man, her instinct to put a stop to it being quelled by the glare she received from her sister. Karolin shook her head ‘no’ to Mrysti as the larger woman sat back down slowly next to her husband.

Xerxes grabbed her hand under the table looking at Mrysti lovingly, “What’s wrong, you look frightened…”

Mrysti smiled faintly, “Nothing…nothing at all. Just watching my daughter becoming a woman. It’s taking a lot out of me…”

GuardianElite
Re-knighted 10/24/2015

Post by GuardianElite »

Watch and be mindful….

Some animals natural predication was to be savage. They is no peaceful or domestic properties to such an animal, it is a predator. These were the animals Samantha faced in her latest trial and as she savagely beat and destroyed those animals bent on mindlessly killing her she still felt remorse for each death she inflicted upon each one. The latest was an Akk and she sensed it had been starved to be particularly vicious on that particular day. Though Samantha tried with the other animals to avoid needless bloodshed or to kill them quick and painlessly; she grew tired by the fifth challenge and now merely injured the Akk. As it fell on broken back legs, she raised the saber to end its life and slowly lowered it. Samantha Alpha did not have it in her to end it’s life as it looked up at her, almost knowing what was coming. She turned to leave the clearing to the shouts of the Lead Instructor and contest coordinator.

“NO!!! You will finish this animal…get back here Jedi!!!”

Samantha turned to face the large Mirialan defiantly and clipped her saber to her belt quite deliberately, “This animal is defenseless and I sense that even though it could press the attack…it will not. I will not kill a defenseless life, not now... not ever. Killing for sport is wrong, all life is precious…”

“Then you fail.” The Instructor smiled, “….you certainly have a different view than your Mother don’t you…savage that she is…”

That incensed Samantha to the point that she started toward the instructor, “Leave my Mother out of this!!!”

“If you do not kill your attacker, then you fail. It’s as simple as that…”

--

Mrysti lowered the Macrobinoculars frustratingly, “What the Kriff is she doing? She has the advantage and she walks away!!! They are going to fail her!” Mrysti started walking toward the end of the trail.

“Where are you going?” Xerxes already knew the answer to the question. His wife was headed down there, much to his distain. He smiled to himself, knowing the fight that was about to ensue between them, “Mrysti…if you go down there…” She turned in a flourish, raising a finger to her husband.

“Don’t. Just don’t. Samantha has always had a soft spot for animals. If I go…if I explain to them…”

“That is not what this is about and you know it.”, Xerxes watched as Mrysti lowered her gaze looking down at the trail. She knew what this was about. This was Sam not wanting to be like her and it was all her fault.

Samantha, Age 7….Zakuul Homeworld

The offer had been placed before her a year prior, Mrysti Alpha didn’t bow then and she wasn’t bowing now. Streaking through the sky, the Assault Shuttle cut a path through the skyscrapers as the Zakuul main battlefleet crumbled above them. It was the day her Mother had lived for and Samantha had never quite seen her Mother as concentrated as she had been. Strapped into the jump seat, Sam watched her Mother hold onto the troop bar, the cargo door open as they entered the lower atmosphere, her hair blowing out behind her in the wind. The Coalition of Confederated Planets had pushed the Zakuul clear out of the galaxy. And now Mrysti was coming for them.

She said nothing, but Samantha could feel it a day prior after the last land battle of the War. The Planet was poetically Korriban. A Place where Mrysti lost so much and where she punished the Zakuul to the last. Some on the Council felt to allow the Zakuul to leave the galaxy unfettered. As the voices discussed, the different factions of the Confederation discussing their options, Sam watched as her Mother got up slowly and looked at the men and women around the semi-circular table. Her Mother said nothing at first, slowly clenching her fist as she lowered her gaze. After a moment, she drew a large vibrohammer from her side and set it on the table in front of her looking up at them. The placement of the weapon slowly making all eyes turn toward her.

“I asked nothing of any of you when you asked to join me in fighting the Zakuul. I was thankful for all of your assistance…The Jedi, The Trade Federation…The Mirialan Defense Force…The Republic Remnant…none of you heard so much as a plea or a request from me….”

Mrysti swallowed hard and looked down at the hammer before starting again as the room grew silent, “…but I ask you now, what will you do once all of your personal interest have been satisfied? Yes, we’ve beaten them, we have driven them from the known galaxy. But they are not gone…we know who was leading them, a plague from our own galaxy set against us, to destroy us….and he absolutely will not stop until all of us are dead.”

Mrysti looked at each representative with a deadly glare in turn, “…Some of you believe my interest are purely personal. And on some level, all of you are right. It is true that Arcann and Thexan killed my family, he ransacked my home, he kidnapped my sister…not once, but twice. So yes, I have a personal investment in this…but this goes beyond personal. I ask you now, something I have never done since you joined The Coalition…I ask you to fight with me. Not just for my own personal interest, but your own as well. Ridding the galaxy of the Emperor is not just in my interest it is in all of yours as well….”

With that, Sam watched her Mother sit down and lower her gaze as the silence in the room continued. Never had Sam witnessed her Mother ask anyone for anything, she could feel the importance of the moment ebbing off of her Mother slowly and knew the significance of it. Feeling compelled to, Sam got up from her seat against the wall and walked over to her Mother standing next to her. She looked up at her Mother, laying a hand on her armored thigh and smiled. Mrysti had a tear streaking down her face already, not of sadness, but simply because she was so filled with emotion she couldn’t contain it. Vengeance was in her grasp and she needed them. These Men and Women surrounding this table, she need them to help her get it. Sam never knew her Uncle RT or her Uncle Hamner or her Aunt Karolin’s Son, Beta; her cousin. But she knew without asking, this is what all of this was about.

One by one, the Men and Women surrounding the table stood. They stood in front of their chairs, forsaking their own personal interest. None of them looked at Mrysti, but stared straight ahead and at one another. It was an oath, a vow to her that they would get her what she wanted. With their own blood and their own sweat, they would deliver vengeance to the woman who had gotten them this far, who had seen the Zakuul coming when no one else did. A woman who fell and rose again to lead the charge against the foe that no one believed could be stopped. They gave their vow not to the cause, but for the first time in 8 years, the Men and Women of The Coalition gave their vow to Mrysti Alpha.

Looking back at Sam, Mrysti smiled as her hair whipped about her face, the explosions from the flak cannons and anti-aircraft going off around them. It was a dangerous place for Sam to be, but with absolutely no one in the family left to watch after her, Mrysti decided Sam’s place was by her side. It was only a year prior that Mrysti had begun Sam’s training as a Sith and already Sam was showing promise. Moving up next to Sam and out of the doorway Mrysti bent at the knee and rubbed her hand through Samantha’s long red hair.

“The Winds of Vengeance are upon us my child…watch and be mindful. Do not try to fight or interfere in what is about to take place. Stay close to me….the time has come for you to learn what it is we do to those who hurt the ones we love.” Mrysti rose lording over her daughter as she looked down at her sternly, “…There is no amount of punishment, no amount of pain that can be inflicted upon those that hurt us that will ever be enough. My only regret is that today…I can only kill Arcann once…”

Sam looked down upon hearing those words, looking away from her Mother’s steel gaze. On some level Samantha was sad, Arcann had been her companion in the Holocron since she found it. Of course she knew him as 'Timothy' and it wasn’t until Mrysti discovered that Samantha had been communing with the Holocron that the truth of it was revealed. It was a lie, Arcann was manipulating Samantha for not only information, but as his power grew he was attempting to subvert and use Samantha for his own ends. Mrysti blamed herself, she should have seen it in the power Sam gained so quickly, her ability to pass the most basic Sith trials with ease. Looking back up Mrysti held the Holocron in her hand and leaned down to hand it to Sam, “It is your day of reckoning too Samantha…”

Porchia’s voice echoed over the external speaker, <”Dropping in 5….coming in hot. Get ready for some Chop…Commander….I am landing you on the upper platform…”>

The message to the ‘Commander’ was meant for Mrysti as she moved back toward the door. This was a single assault shuttle landing on the upper platform. It was planned that way, much to Karolin and the other’s chagrin. Before, Mrysti had always beaten Arcann with others, Karolin was always by her side. But, this time Mrysti didn’t want it. She needed to do this on her own. Arcann wouldn’t expect it and Mrysti knew that. Sam watched as the assault shuttle landed with two others next to it as Mrysti looked back to gesture to Sam to come along. The troops of the other shuttles already coming under fire from the Knights and the Regulars guarding the entrance. Mrysti’s entire demeanor changed as soon as her first boot hit the ground and Sam retched back slightly. She could feel it in the Force, this overwhelming sense of cold dread coming over her. Mrysti had just become Death.

Striding forward Mrysti blocked two bolts from blasters, but did not slow her pace raising her hand up in time with the raising of the Knight’s sabers in her direction. One charged her and Mrysti spun to the side slicing the errand Knight almost in half with a rageful scream. She kept moving, the Knights actually giving ground by backing up a step. They felt it too, Sam knew because she could sense their fear as her Mother continued to the door. Mrysti's saber moving so fast it was like a blur as she dispatched one…then two, lifting her hand to grab the third and hurl him over the side to oblivion.

It frightened her, Sam had seen her Mother’s intensity in training, but nothing like this. It was as if she was a different person, something taking charge of her and driving her forward. The troops from the adjacent shuttles followed their leader inside and ran past Mrysti to take up positions as fire erupted from the far end of the hall. The blaster bolts splashing off the walls near Sam and Mrysti as she peered around to get a look at the advancing Knights, who were moving under the cover of their comrades blaster fire.

Sam saw her Mother sneer and shake her head slightly as if to say ‘no’. All at once moving into the corridor and screaming a bloodcurdling cry; her saber moving in so many directions at once until she got the vector correct. The heavy fire subsided as Mrysti reflected the bolts back toward the cannon’s operators and lowered her saber into a guard moving almost sideways and looking over her shoulder at the advancing Knights. They cried their own battle cry as they attacked. Mrysti ducking under one then two, slicing them fatally as she moved to the others, her troops coming in behind her to finish them off and clear her a path. The door was just beyond the corridor.

Dispatching the last of the eight Knights, these being the very best Arcann could offer Sam felt the presence on the other side of the door as they approached. It was familiar to her as it should have been, she knew him as ‘Timothy’. Mrysti knew him as the source of all of her pain. The door was shut and Sam could sense this surprised sense her Mother who by now was feeling the presence on the other side as well. Arcann was scared. For the first time, he knew fear as he too felt the cold indifferent chill from Mrysti’s presence. So resolved, so resolute in its pursuit. Death had arrived at his door, but he had not yet settled himself with that. Mrysti reached back behind with one hand and launched it forward pounding the door in the Force as Sam watched it buckle from the first strike.

“ARCANN!!!”

It was almost a cry of sadness from her Mother as she reached back launching yet another Force Disruption toward the door. This time the cry had a hint of rage behind it.

“ARCANNNN!!!”

The door bucked further, Sam could feel the presence in the other side retreat to a further portion of the chamber as Mrysti reached up this time gathering her strength for the final push. The scream held not only rage, but intensity as it too help to shatter the frame that surrounded the door. The troops as well as Sam all moved back as Mrysti launched the third and final push.

“ARRRRCAANNNNNN!!!!”

As the dust from the door began to settle, Mrysti stepped through, but for the first time she looked back at her Troops and then Samantha gesturing for them to stay, “There is nothing further you can do…Sam, you stay here; be mindful and watch…”

Perching herself at the doorway, Sam positioned herself just enough to see the entire room unfold as the dust of the collapsing door finally subsided. Mrysti walked purposefully striding directly toward him, her saber still lit as he began to speak taking his saber off his belt.

“So….you’ve come alone this time. I was wondering…I did sense two of you.” Arcann looked past Mrysti to the huddled little girl at the doorway, “Now I know why…”

She said nothing as Arcann activated his saber in time with his first strike which Mrysti parried and spun into bringing her own saber up between them. Pressing down with brute strength and rage she twisted the saber to her left and severed Arcann’s cybernetic arm, much to his surprise. But she didn’t follow up, releasing him and pushing Arcann away from herself as if all she had done was slap him lightly. His eyes grew wide as Mrysti paced back and forth, Arcann twirling the saber in his other hand. He started to speak again, but Mrysti was having none of it. At his words she launched forward dodging his swipe to her head and stabbing inward, piercing his thigh with the tip of her saber.

“Agggahh!!!”

He fell to his knees, bringing one up to keep himself upright. Leisurely he swiped again, as Mrysti slashed down, this time taking his hand off at the wrist. This time Arcann fell on his stump of an arm as he desperately tried to prop himself back up. Mrysti stepped away from him again, she was controlled rage and simmered evenly. Sam could feel the desire to kill him flowing off of her, but her Mother was controlling it. Looking back over her shoulder, Mrysti looked directly at Sam with the red glow in her eyes.

“Samantha…come here.”, Frozen in fear, Samantha did not move. She was scared, not only at seeing her Mother so easily beat the man who had been the bane of her existence for nearly eight years, but at the look in her eye, “I said now!!!”, Mrysti pointed down at the ground with her finger in anger glaring at her daughter. Arcann was trying to slither away as Mrysti placed her boot on his back pressing him down, holding him in place.

Samantha slowly got up and walked toward her Mother with her head down until she finally reached her side. Mrysti swallowed hard, controlling her anger as she very gently pulled Samantha a step closer to her. Holding out her purple lightsaber to Sam she gestured with her head, “Take it.” Sam looked up in fright as her Mother tried to hand her the lightsaber, “I said take it!!!” Slowly Sam shook her head at her Mother, “Do NOT tell me ‘no’…you take this saber and you kill this man. Do you have any idea what he is responsible for, what he has done of all of us, to you…in that Holocron!!! Take this saber and end his life now…”

“No…Mother. I-I c-can’t…”

Arcann’s face was turned up watching them both as the voice emanated from his cybernetic face, “T-that is why…y-you will suffer….”

Mrysti screamed at the words bringing the saber down and plunging it in Arcann’s chest, not once but as many times as it took for her to get her fill. Sam retched back in horror, covering her face with her arm as she began to scream as well, watching her Mother finally butcher the one who had done so much to hurt her. But in doing so, she was hurting Sam who now saw that side of her Mother, the side she never wished to see. Covered in the gore that was once the man who conquered entire galaxies, Mrysti wiped her mouth on the back of her hand breathing heavily. She glanced at Sam wide eyed, who was still watching in horror. Saying nothing, Mrysti withdrew from the room, leaving her daughter. And Sam could feel the cold chill of emotion ebb off her Mother’s shoulders as she passed. The chill of disappointment.

GuardianElite
Re-knighted 10/24/2015

Post by GuardianElite »

"Do as I say....not as I do..."

It was getting closer to the end, Samantha had signed on for the full gambit and so far even after her disastrous showing in the clearing, she was doing well. The Mirialan Council having decided in it’s ultimate wisdom that in the interest of galactic relations they could not force a Jedi to kill if they did not feel it was right. Secretly, it was because the Council feared the repercussions from Samantha’s mother should they fail her, though no one would verbally say it. It was just understood. As Samantha came out of the pre-fab building she smiled looking up at the all too familiar face of her Father, who smiled broadly seeing her.

“Heya kiddo…good to see you…” Xerxes stopped short of saying anything else, not wanting to give away how long he had actually been there. Samantha was way too smart to not figure out something based on words. She smiled back walking up to him and throwing her arms up and around his neck to give him a hug and a sweet kiss on the cheek.

“Hey Daddy…good to see you too…” Xerxes watched as Sam got an all too familiar look in her eye, stepping back slightly. It was the same wry mischievous look he saw all too often in his wife Mrysti. They were alike in so many ways, Sam and Mrysti even sharing some of the same looks when the moment struck them. It was one of the reasons he loved them both so much, they completed one another, “How long have you been here?” Xerxes smiled back just as mischievously, looking down slightly. It was never good to try and lie to a Jedi or a Sith for that matter. Instead he chose an alternate route, one he cultivated over years and years of marriage to his wife.

“Oh…I been around, here and there…you know? Just thought I would check in on you and see if you needed anything…”

Sam knew that wasn’t all of it and by his words he was cloaking how long he had actually been on the planet’s surface. She didn’t mind, just happy to see her father for the first time in as many months. Xerxes had made it a point to stop in and see her whenever he was on Coruscant. Sometimes not just because he had business. Unknown to Samantha, Xerxes had a schedule of seeing her, making trips out to the Republic homeworld even if it wasn’t for business. Since the split between Mother and Daughter, it fell on Xerxes to hold them together. That day was no exception as Sam looked down sadly a frown coming across her face.

“Is…’Mother’ with you?”

She asked the question sadly and in a meek voice as if her Mother were standing there lording over her like she had done for most of her life. Xerxes looked up and matched the frown smiling faintly. He wasn’t going to lie about it or be evasive. Truth be known, Xerxes was tired of the whole affair. It was time for the two women to make peace. Both of them so stubborn and strong-willed neither one of them wanting to make a move toward reconciliation. He took a step forward looking in her eyes and continuing the faint smile.

“Yes…she is.” Samantha looked up suddenly like she had been struck and then looked around and behind her as Xerxes laughed slightly, “She’s not coming down here. She doesn’t know I came to the camp to see you.” Sam relaxed a bit as Xerxes continued to look at her warmly. There were things to be said, things Sam needed to hear. Now was as good a time as any.

As a bystander for most of Sam’s life, Xerxes stood by and watched as Mrysti trained and tried to shape their young daughter into something he didn’t not completely approve of. It wasn’t until the day Sam bested Mrysti in single combat that she actually explained it to him, not in words. It was a look that Mrysti gave as Sam walked away angrily that day. The look said it all. It was never easy to simply stand by and watch; and Xerxes hurt for her many, many times as he watched the brutal and punishing training that Mrysti had inflicted upon their daughter. But that day he realized what she was trying to do, that day Xerxes finally understood. It was never about Sam. The training was always about…Mrysti.

“She’s very proud of you sweetheart. Even if she can’t say it, she is….”

Samantha, Age 14….

Goading her daughter was never a good idea, especially as Sam was gaining even greater power. Samantha had started to show a weakness as far as Mrysti was concerned and she was bent on forcing it out of her daughter. Empathy, compassion; traits that Mrysti felt would lead to weakness in a cruel world who preyed on the weak, especially the kindness of others. It was empathy for her Brother Hamner that made Mrysti get on the ship that left the Jedi Temple headed for the Empire. It was compassion for her Brother that made Mrysti do it, in that she did not want him to go alone. No one should have to face that kind of uncertainty. But, Mrysti held no regret in her heart. The actions of yesteryear shaped her into the lethal instrument she was forged into. The harsh life that took her from a slave, to an arena champion, to a Sith and finally a leader of a Coalition that rid itself of the galaxies most dangerous entity ever encountered. None of it would have been possible had she not gotten on that ship with her brother. And Mrysti would be damned if Sam would suffer the same fate. Perhaps, if Mrysti could forge her daughter by her own hand, she could spare her the pain she had to endure to get where she ended up and still be ready to face all challenges.

“Weak pathetic little girl…you think that all of that ‘light, hearts and flowers’ your Aunt has been filling your head with is going to save you?!?!” Mrysti held out her hand clenching her fist so tightly Sam actually heard her Mother’s knuckles crack, “That’s fine for the boardroom Sam, but out here…when a Man faces you and has a blaster or a sword in your face; you just try passing him a flower or speaking of ‘peace and hope’…” Sam seemed to be looking away as Mrysti spoke, it infuriated her as she watched her daughter look away. Mrysti reached out and slapped Samantha hard across the face, “You look at me when I am talking to you!!! I am trying to save your life!!!”

It wasn’t as hard as Sam had been slapped by her Mother before, at least this time she remained upright; the slap was merely to get her attention. Mrysti watched the fire ignite behind Sam’s eyes as she looked back after being slapped and she smiled at her daughter. ‘Good…anger…’, she thought, as Mrysti realized Sam was trying to suppress her emotions. Something was holding her back, there was a simmering control around Samantha that she couldn’t quite understand and Mrysti was now on a quest and had been for weeks to get to the bottom off it.

“Don’t hit me Mother…I heard you! I was just—“

“You were just what?!?! What?!? Say it!!!”

Sam stepped back and deactivated her dual-saber, the light blue blade retracting on her command as she turned around to walk away. Mrysti frowned as the anger started to build within herself again. Sam was once again turning away from facing her anger and using it to harness her power. For weeks Sam had been suppressing herself. Something was eating her and Mrysti didn’t know what it was. Taking a step forward to follow, Mrysti screamed after her daughter and then felt it, she stopped midsentence as Sam slowly turned around.

“You don’t walk away from me!!! I have not dismissed you fr—“ Mrysti’s eyes got wide as she met her daughter’s gaze a strange wicked smile coming across her lips, “Well, that’s…interesting. You really think so, do you?” Taking her own saber off her belt, Mrysti ignited the blade holding it out toward her daughter, pointing the tip toward her in warning. The feeling she felt from Sam gave Mrysti exactly what she needed. Full understanding. For weeks Sam would get close to harnessing her anger and her emotions to fuel her power, but just as she was about to crest and use it to push herself over the edge, she would back down. Samantha Alpha was scared. And she was scared that she would hurt something or even her Mother. Turning to walk away again, Sam turned her back on her Mother as Mrysti laughed loudly at her.

“Weak…pathetic little nothing…” Sam stopped but didn’t turn around, those words got to her and Mrysti pushed even harder, “…you were a mistake you know. I never wanted a child, especially not one as weak and worthless as you…” Clenching her fist and still not turning around Sam activated the dual saber as Mrysti smiled wickedly, Sam still turned away. Samantha was almost there, she just needed to push a little more, “…what a sad excuse you are. No wonder your REAL father never bothered to reveal himself. Why would he? Who would? Why would anyone want to take ownership of MY disgrace…pathetic….little….child…why do I waste my time.” Mrysti felt it even before Sam turned and leapt at her in the Force and it was everything Mrysti could do to stop the deathblow that Samantha nearly cut her in half with.

“I HATE YOU!!!”

Samantha was like a blur, she moved in and out of the Force, a technique Mrysti never mastered or had an affinity for. It was like fighting a ghost half the time as the blue blade came literally from all directions. Mrysti parried, slashed, ducked and spun out of the way finally rolling away only to find the blades headed her way again. It was more than she bargained for as Samantha literally unleashed all of the pent up anger and frustration of a childhood of torturous training. Finding herself on the end of the attack, Mrysti was fighting defensive and it was an unusual feeling for her. Being an offensive juggernaut of a warrior her entire life, it was Mrysti who brought the fight to others. But for the first time and as doubt began to creep in, she found herself on the losing end of the battle.
Mrysti Alpha had trained her daughter well and had now unleashed the full anger of a girl who knew no bounds. The words her Mother spoke to her angered Samantha beyond reason as she now wanted only to kill her. A block as the flash of blue and purple lit the area around them both. Mrysti brought the blade up blocking the overhead strike that seemed to appear out of ghastly form in the Force, Samantha immediately spinning low and bringing the other side of the dual saber across her Mother’s midsection.

“AGGGRRGGHH!!!”

A kick accompanied the slash unintentionally as Sam landed the spinning leg as a follow through to the forward slash to her Mother’s midsection spinning twice in what looked like out of control movement. Anger making Sam move in an almost haphazard fashion with little regard for her own safety. Landing Samantha brought the other side of the blade to rest with its tip pointing directly at her Mother’s throat; Mrysti having landed on her backside in a seated position from the slash and kick that sent her flying.

Holding up her hand, Mrysti breathed heavily looking up at her daughter to hold movement. Looking down at her Mother, Sam had a look of utter contempt and fury, her own breath heavy with rage. It wasn’t until Sam looked down at her Mother’s abdomen, which was now leaking the red of her life’s blood that Mrysti felt the rage in her daughter subside slightly. But Sam did not apologize, merely shutting down the saber and turning to walk away.

“STAY…AWAY FROM ME, MOTHER….”

Lowering her hand to her abdomen and touching it gingerly, Mrysti sucked in a painful breath as she felt familiar hands pick her up from behind to help her up. Xerxes had a look of worry as he looked at his wife and then the departing Sam. He wanted to say that he told her so, that Mrysti had finally pushed her too far, that everything she was doing was for nothing if it ended up making her daughter hate her. But as he watched Mrysti, she wasn’t tending to the wound or looking at him, she was looking at Sam and that look said everything. Xexres saw a tear drop out of his wife’s eye as she smiled.

Still a little confused , Xerxes frowned gesturing at Sam about to speak as Mrysti brought her finger to his lips, hunching over slightly from the pain of the wound inflicted upon her. Mrysti continued to watch Sam until she disappeared around the corner finally meeting her husband’s gaze.

“She is…better than I ever was. It’s all I could ever hope for. That a child will someday outdo and even surpass their parents is the only thing any of us as parents….could hope for….”

--

Smiling back at her father, Sam turned a shade greener with embarrassment, “Is she? Well that’s a relief…for a moment there I thought you were going to say she loved me or something…” It was an attempt at a joke but dipped in the waters of truth as Sam and Mrysti had stopped saying those kinds of things to one another around the time Sam began her training with her Mother. Xerxes smiled stepping forward and grabbing the girl in a big bear hug.

“Well…I love you. And I know she loves you, so this hug is from the both of us….”

--

Mrysti lowered the binos and shook her head slightly, she knew full well her husband was going down there to see Sam when he said he was going to take care of some business. Xerxes 'business' interest dried up on Mirial at the end of the war. Headstrong, Mrysti was not about to go down there though she knew if Xerxes had not just told their daughter she was there, Sam would soon figure it out. There weren't many places Xerxes went these days that his wife didn't come with. Unless it involved Samantha, but in this case she was making an exception. But, Mrysti knew the time was coming. She would have to face her daughter again and for the first time since Samantha left home.

GuardianElite
Re-knighted 10/24/2015

Post by GuardianElite »

"There are not many ways to say 'I Love you'....

If there was a place considered to be the religious center of Mirial, the ‘Theatre of Trials’ would be that place. Set in the heart of Mirial’s capital, the Theatre honored those that had passed all of the trials considered to be a rite of passage by all Mirialans. It also was the place Mirial placed honors for their greatest heroes. Mirialans that had made some mark on their society, either through arts or sciences; who in some way shaped not only events for those who lived on Miral, but also throughout the known galaxy.

Though controversial in its scope, there were many more ‘yea’ votes than ‘nay’ votes in deciding to place a statue of Darth Retuvisa in the center of the Theatre. The ‘Nay’s’ won the small victory of course, that even though the statue would occupy a prominent place in the Theatre, there would be a building that would surround it, to keep the statue from the view of those who did not wish to see it. Mrysti Alpha, also known as Darth Retuvisa may have been a Mirialan hero to some, Liberator of Mirial and Galactic War Leader; but she was still a Dark Lord of the Sith. That fact did not sit well with everyone on the planet and certainly not with the entire Council of Mirial responsible for administration of the Theatre. So it was with reluctance that Samantha decided on the eve of her final trial to make the pilgrimage to see her Mother’s Statue.

It was no secret where it was, though the stone and marble building that surrounded the statue entitled; ‘Long Live the Dark Lord’, was well hidden from view. A casual passer-by would not even notice that the ornate looking building actually contained a statue commemorating the Anniversary of Mirial's Liberation from Zakuul occupation. As Samantha made her way inside, she felt a strange warmth getting closer to it. The statue carved in a very rare Mirialan Marble was commissioned by the Fathers and sculpted by one of the greatest artisans in Mirialan history. The artist was not pleased to be ‘persuaded' to do the sculpture in the first place and in defiance decided to do the art of Mrysti from an earlier time. The picture used to sculpt the statue was taken from a time before the Zakuul invaded the known galaxy. The artist did it so no one who recognized the ‘Liberator of Mirial’ who be able to tell who it was from recent history. Samantha approached slowly, the cold of the interior giving way to a silent warmth that cascaded around her as she approached the statue.

Looking up at it, Samantha laid a hand on the base and touched the cold of the Marble foot cast in her Mother’s likeness. This was a time before the Zakuul, before Samantha; a time when Mrysti was fully dedicated to the ideals and agenda of a power that was bent on galactic conquest. Samantha quickly took her hand off thinking about it. Now she fully understood why the original artist had cast her Mother this way; he wanted it to be a stark reminder of who and what Mrysti Alpha was. Liberator, sure. Hero, definitely. Conqueror, absolutely.

Slipping in behind her daughter Mrysti didn’t intend on sneaking up on her, but saw her daughter looking up at the statue with a silent reverence and she didn’t wish to disturb that. Mrysti never bothered to come back to this place after the original dedication, it was not lost on her that so many opposed her and the creation of this statue. It was more out of respect to those that were in opposition to the statue that she never returned, but following her daughter to the place it sat in silent vigil, she had no choice. Samantha turned slightly at her Mother’s approach putting her head down slightly and looking back at the statue.

“I always said that as long as this statue was here….birds would always have a place to sit…”, Moving up along side of Samantha, Mrysti smiled weakly and looked up at her own likeness. It was strange to see herself sitting and looking out toward the plaza; cast in a rare marble. It was quite an honor, but the likeness of her denoted an honor she most assuredly didn’t deserve. Samantha said nothing finally looking back up at it as a long silence ensued. This was Mrysti’s time and Mrysti’s place. It would be her that would force the conversation and she felt that weight as she too looked back up at herself and grimaced, “How have you been Sam? I trust the Jedi are treating you well?”

It sounded like a veiled threat directed at the Jedi as Sam looked up strangely meeting her Mother’s gaze. As if the Jedi were not treating her well, Mrysti would have something to say about it. Sam shifted nervously before settling in a more relaxed pose. It was awkward that the two of them, who had not spoken a word to one another since Sam left home would speak in this place, in the presence of ‘two’ Mrysti’s. One who stood as a Mother worried about her child, the other looking forward to the conquest and destruction of all the ideals that Samantha was just beginning to hold dear. Sam frowned slightly at the question, she knew full well that Mrysti kept tabs on her through Karolin and Xerxes.

“Not that you don’t already know, Mother…but, yes….they are treating me well.”

“And your training, it progresses according to protocol?”

It was Mrysti’s way of asking if Sam was not only completing the training, but excelling in it. Though Mrysti opposed Samantha joining the Jedi and further becoming a Jedi Shadow, she was not about to let her daughter fail or do less than the absolute best in whatever she chose to do. Again Samantha frowned, “Yes, Mother…I am exceeding expectations. ‘Your’ training has more than prepared me for what was to come…”

The tone of Samantha’s words, the defiance in them struck Mrysti hard. ‘Did Sam really have so much hate in her heart for her Mother?’ Mrysti thought, but did not voice, looking down at the dark granite of the statue base. She placed a hand on the base for support, suddenly feeling weak in her daughter’s presence. The sharp tone was like a dagger through her heart and Sam felt her Mother’s Force Aura wane slightly. Another long silence ensued, someone was going to have to say it. Neither of them wanting to lay all of their emotions on the table. One who was learning to control them, the other scared that so much emotion would drive her daughter away further. Finally, Mrysti looked up with a jerk, her red and gray locks jumping from around her face.

“Know this. What I did, I did for you…to prepare you for what is to come. Life, is not easy Sam and despite what you may think about me, you are better prepared than anyone to face whatever challenges this life will throw at you. I did it because….I Love you…so much I could not bare to see you fail, so much that I could not bare to ever see you defeated due to weakness…”

Stopping short of saying the rest Mrysti looked back down and took in the marble floor, trying desperately to frame the rest of her words. She wanted to tell Sam how much she truly loved her, that all of the pain and the sacrifice on her part and inflicted on a younger Samantha was all for the greater good. That how in preparing Sam for the future through all of that pain Sam would never have to suffer the same fate as she did. Samantha scooted a little further away and looked back up at the likeness of her mother for the moment at a loss for words. She had heard it before, but not so bluntly.

“This was never about me Mother and you know it…”

Again the words struck Mrysti like a dagger in her heart as she looked up in shock and surprise, “Well, then what was it about, because my entire objective in training you was—“

“This was about YOU!!! It has always been....about you!!! And Fear….”

With her face twisting in anger, Mrysti met the red gaze of her daughter with her own scooting closer to the younger woman. Sam felt the fires ignite inside of her Mother as Sam used the word ‘fear’. A dark smile started to cross Mrysti’s lips as she took her hand off the base of the statue.

“Fear? I fear no man…no beast. I fear nothi—“

“Yes, you do. You fear yourself…you fear that in having me, in being responsible for me that I will somehow become you. That I will have to suffer like you did.” Mrysti closed her mouth and re-opened it to object, but Samantha had her Mother on the ropes and pressed on, “Mother, I am not you. And I am sorry for what you went through in your life, what you had to become in order to survive. I honor that sacrifice, I honor who you are and though many would still hate you and ridicule you for what you are. I never will!!! I love you just how you are Mother and that will never change, but you have to understand....I am not you, nor will I ever BE you. I do not wish to be…so therefore I will not. I choose the Jedi not to get away from you, but because I wish to be something more. I know you don’t believe that, you think that I left and joined the Jedi just to spite you, but that was not it at all…I did it because….” Samantha stopped and looked down as Mrysti followed her gaze, more than curious as to what Sam was going to say.

“You did it why, Sam? Why did you join the Jedi?”

“I did it because…you were once a Jedi. And even though you became ‘something’ else. It was the Jedi in you that led the charge to retake the galaxy. And it was the Jedi in you that did and still does the right thing, even when everyone else disagrees with you…” Sam laughed, “…though some would question your methods from time to time…”

Mrysti smiled weakly at the comment and looked away. She was surprised at how every intelligent and articulate her daughter had become. Gone was the little girl who once played with the Holocron, gone was the child who couldn’t climb the wall or the young woman who was so shy as to not be able to voice her own opinion. In its place stood a woman, with her own beliefs and ideals, a woman that Mrysti helped to create and it spoke volumes that even though Sam opposed her Mother’s ideals and swore that she would not become who her Mother was; it was the Jedi in Mrysti that drove Sam to join them. Sam may not have wanted to become Mrysti Alpha, but in essence she was. Though Mrysti could foresee that the long shadow she cast over her daughter would soon become a fading memory in the history of the galaxy. Samantha was going to go on and do great things in her own rite, she would surpass her Mother. Mrysti saw it the day Sam bested her in single combat and standing there, Mrysti saw it again. A tear started to ebb its way down Mrysti’s cheek, but this time she didn’t stop it as she looked up smiling at her daughter. The greatest thing for a parent is to see their children surpass them. Sam was Mrysti’s only child and what an awesome woman she had become.

“That’s true you know…even your Aunt Karolin disagrees with me from time to time….” The two of them laughed slightly as they met each other’s gaze, this time holding it as the smile faded. Samantha may not be on the path her Mother had chosen for her, but it was a path and a good one. Laying her hand on Sam’s shoulder, Mrysti gave her daughter a stern, but caring look. “I am…very proud of you Samantha. You are going to do well in this trial, even better than I could have ever hoped to have done. And you are going to do it on your own. There were times I wanted to interfere, because I knew you were being treated unfairly because for your being my daughter…but, your step-father held me back, he made me allow you to do it on your own. I am glad I listened to him instead of my emotions. You are everything I could have hoped for Samantha and you will make a much better Jedi than I ever could.”

Samantha smiled at the remark, but then smirked as she moved to hug her Mother, “Thank you Mother, I appreciate that. And you know….it’s not saying a lot that I will be an even greater Jedi than you were, you left the Order….”

They both giggled at the comment as the two of them broke the embrace to look up at the statue one last time. It was Mrysti who cocked her head and looked at it thoughtfully, finally remarking….

“…That was a different me, before my life was complete and I thought I knew what I wanted and where I was going. It was time before I knew what was important…it was a time before you, My Daughter….”

GuardianElite
Re-knighted 10/24/2015

Post by GuardianElite »

“We face adversity everyday…the trick is not to 'face' it, but embrace it....”

“No one has every completed the final challenge. Many have tried and all…” The instructor looked at Samantha as if to say, ‘including your Mother’, “….have failed! I am not going to tell you what you have to do once you get up there. That’s not my place. This IS a timed event, but once you reach the precipice; there you must face your greatest fear and answer the greatest question ever asked of anyone. Not even ‘I’ have that answer…” The instructor moved out of the way of the path leading to the top, “The journey is not to be taken lightly, you must have your wits about you. We didn’t need to release or starve any violent animals to get in your path, they are already there. This is their domain ladies and gentlemen and make no mistake….they don’t want you there.” He touched his Chrono, “Time starts now…some of you may turn around and come back or even if you survive the journey will be unable to answer the final question. Don’t worry, the four concentric diamonds are not for everyone, every few get to wear them….”

Getting up slowly, Samantha Alpha looked back at the crowd that was gathered at the base of the hillside watching the competitors as they started. The masses were held back by barriers and Sam searched the crowd, looking until she saw them both and smiled at them. Standing side by side Mrysti and Xerxes made an imposing couple. Balling her fist at her daughter, Mrysti gave her a stern look followed by a smile as she pumped the fist at her. She whispered softly in the wind. Samantha didn’t hear it but she felt her Mother’s whisper in the Force; ‘Win…win, Samantha…’. Sam only nodded an acknowledgement as she dipped her body down harnessing her power to take off in a flash.

Taking off at Force Speed, Samantha ducked the other competitors and came up on the first ridge line. Rain already started, a cold rain that matched the mood of the mountain. The lead instructor was right and Samantha got the instant feeling that the Mountain didn’t want them there. She didn’t see the beast take a swipe at her. It looked like a huge Guid, something bipedal that she had only seen in pictures of Ilum or Belsavis. He stalked forward as Sam rolled out of the way and came up on her back looking up at it. There was an intelligence there and as Sam’s first reaction was to fight back, she saw something; hesitation on the part of the Guid.

Keeping one of her hands raised she lowered the other and took on a defensive posture, her face becoming impassive, but serene as she whispered. “Shhhh…I don’t want your mountain. I only want to see what’s at the top. Can you let me do that?”, It stopped in mid rush and looked at her. The expression was still one of defiance, but the fact that it stopped said much to Sam as she slowly stood to face it. She stuck her chest out, keeping the hand raised, “Can you help me?” Flipping the hand over she offered it to the Guid. In the Force she could feel it’s intent change, though it’s actions gave her doubt.

In one huge swipe, the Guid picked up Samantha slamming her on it’s back as it took off. Sam held on for life and even let out a slight squeal at the sudden movement. The both of them not traveling at speed that rivaled her own Force enhanced movement. Movement that in this terrain she couldn’t hope to accomplish. Together they made great time, Sam looked around, she no longer saw anyone as they ascended and the rain stopped, the air getting a little thinner. The ride seemed to last forever, Sam getting comfortable on the huge creature's back, settling in to it’s thick fur. She tried to sense what it’s motivations were in the Force, why it picked her up and seemed to be carrying her in the direction she needed to go. It wasn’t until she nearly reached the top that she got the sense of what the Guid was thinking and felt the other presence.

Unceremoniously, the Guid deposited Samantha at the base of a single path leading up to the Apex of the Mountain. It looked at her, slammed its hands repeatedly into its chest in a show of aggression and then wandered off. Sam smiled at the creature sending a thought in the Force to it, knowing it wouldn’t understand, but doing it anyway. ‘Thank you’, she thought, looking up toward the other presence. It was pulling the Guid, in some way having sent it looking for someone, maybe even her; Sam couldn’t be sure.

It was a long rocky path up, but incredibly even for something so steep. It was lined with even rocks that had smaller rocks laid into the pathway. And they were smooth, as if traveled by a great many. Sam walked a long time, the presence getting closer and closer. Though she should have been tired, it was excitement that built in her. Excitement at finally being done with the whole thing, but also an excitement at seeing what was at the top. The Guid, the presence, even the competition and her journey through life to get to this point had all led her to that moment. It was an excitement that only someone who was reaching the end of a long journey could feel.

Opening up to a Temple of sorts, the structure was taller than wide on such a small point of the Mountain. Sam should have been cold at that altitude, but she wasn’t. The blanket of her own excitement keeping her so warm she ignored the elements and she could feel that presence inside just as warm. It called to her and urged her forward as Sam started the small climb up the steps to a dimly lit entrance and then a brightly lit interior. There was a low humming sound as she entered looking around, in the center sat a very small, very aged Mirialan. Sam smiled and almost laughed looking at the man, for next to him was the Guid that had brought her to the path.

The older man didn’t return the smile as he gave Sam a serene glance, his hand moving over the Guid’s fur. Without prompting Sam already felt she knew what she had to do walking up to the cross-legged seated man and sitting down in front of him in a similar fashion. It was then that he smiled. No small talk, nothing about the Guid that brought her there or how he had been tracking her the moment she landed on Mirial a few weeks prior. The older man spoke through the smile, his voice slightly accented in the tone of the ancient Mirialan people.

“Samantha…what is the meaning of this life…”

His eyes bored into her as he spoke in more of a statement than a question. The words seeming to bounce off the walls as Sam heard it not once but several times, the words rattling around inside the space between them. It wasn’t that Sam was prepared for the question, she had no idea what the man was going to ask or how to answer it. Saying the first thing that came to mind, Sam smiled back at him in the warmest way possible, a slight tinge of excitement as she exclaimed…

“To live, Master…to live in the best possible way…”

--

“It is very rare that one earns the four concentric diamonds of ultimate knowledge. There are few who are allowed to wear them and fewer still that are still living that have them…but today, it is the Council’s great honor to award those marks to one who has achieved a level of insight few people her age could achieve…”

Mrysti was literally on the edge of her seat as the Council member spoke. She glanced at her husband who still maintained the grin he held from the moment they found out that Sam had actually passed the final challenge, a challenge of both survival, endurance and knowledge. It was said that the final challenge could not be conquered, that you didn’t choose it; the challenge chose you. And in Samantha’s case that couldn’t be more true. As Sam stepped up to the podium and looked out over the mass of green faces, smiling to all of them, she was prepared to tell them everything she went through to get to that point. Sam was going to tell them about the Guid and the old man at the top of the mountain. But as she looked out over the sea of faces, her eyes finally resting on her mother’s who now looked like they were about to burst; like a dam holding back water, she decided not to. It was a personal thing, something that no one could understand unless that had experienced it. And something told her that her experience was unlike any that anyone who bore the diamonds had ever went through, almost as if it was tailor made for her.

Sam smiled at her Mother and then her Father, looking down shyly.

“…the reason I stand here before you today is all because of my parents. Upbringing has everything to do with who we are…” Sam grimaced as she made contact with her Mother’s eyes again, “…both good…and bad, it shapes us into who we are and what we will become….” Sam looked up and at the blue-green sky as she continued to smile, her mind suddenly going blank as she forgot what else to say. Again, she was going to say the first thing that came to mind in the absence of thought, looking back down at her Mother again, “….I didn’t really understand that, coming here. My reason for doing this was entirely different than the reason I thought it had to be. And in the doing…I have become someone else and I finally know, I finally realize what it was my Mother was trying to tell me, to teach me…”

“Thank you….Mother….”

<FIN>