Knight
Knight
Realm: RIFT
Record: Recruited: Dec 14th 2013
Squired: Feb 1st 2014
Knighted: June 22nd 2014

Educational Idea

Post by Turk »

It seems that the goal of the leadership in our guild is to get as many folks as possible ready for raiding. That’s wonderful! I would like to improve my Commando to a point where I could at the very least be an alternate for the T4 group. Believe it or not I am very shy and when you’re new this game and guild it can be intimidating. When I first joined I quested alone for a while. I wondered in to a TS3 channel with some folks who were and are still very helpful. Through them after hitting 55 I have met several other folks who have helped me a great deal. For that I am extremely grateful.

As I am a shy person, I sometimes struggle with asking for help and often feel more comfortable with smaller groups. Blanket comments in the forums and in TS with the words “Just ask for help anytime” are completely lost on me. Social anxiety is a @#$%^ I’m probably not alone in this. While raiding and listening to the tanks in the guild it seems like there is a real sense of pride and togetherness. I have witnessed some real close knit mentoring there. So I was inspired.

What if the guild started a structured mentoring program? I don’t have all of the ideas worked out but what if when a new person (not necessarily a geared experienced player who joins the guild) can opt into a training program with an officer preferably of the same class who will take a Padawan for lack of a better term or maybe several Padawan’s.

The benefits are
* It would be a good way for a new person to make a new friend quickly and not feel so isolated.
* The mentor would offer advice on how to play the class better.
* Inspect younglings gear.
* Keep an eye on that person during a casual raid and provide feedback.
* Report back to the higher ups on the progress.
* Point the way toward info on the net.

I feel like this would bring new folks along quickly and improve relationships in the guild. Instead of 1 of the raids throughout the week (or scheduled by the individuals involved) there could be Night School. An officer takes 1 or more noobz and does flash points or missions and takes that time to educate by checking the progress on their gear and witnessing the rotations.

I picture it as a way for non-experienced folks who expressed a desire to raid to get the boost that they need to take it to the next level. I see it as an investment by the leadership to cultivate more resources for T4

I have more thoughts on this if anyone wishes to discuss I’m in TS every night and would be happy for another chance to express this idea more clearly. I’m not sure that I articulated correctly here.

Turk
Xetturk lvl 60 Commando (deeps)
Madelyyn lvl 60 Gunslinger(deeps)
Kruttex lvl 60 Sorc (deeps)
Zyera
Lady
Lady
Realm: Final Fantasy XIV
House: Griffon
Record: newoutriders.org/member/Zyera

Re: Educational Idea

Post by Zyera »

Blanket comments in the forums and in TS with the words “Just ask for help anytime” are completely lost on me. Social anxiety is a @#$%^ I’m probably not alone in this.
Yeah I know. I have social anxiety too. I can barely talk on phones- TS/chat/gaming has helped a lot over the years, but I know what you mean and I am not sure how else to reach out to people who do. That's why I make posts in hopes of people will take a little step into researching on there own with the resources we have. But some are hands-on learners so,

I try my best to bring in new people to SM Ops as much as I can- I even have most of our T4 people whisper me- saying they will step out for newer people to get a spot. Normally they are fillers in SM modes to help if we need a body.

I was hoping for Thursdays and other SM days to be like that- we can focus more on jobs and mechanics in helping more with feedback instead of just running them through it. :)

I'd love to talk more about this. I really want to help people out as much as I can and if they need some hands-on things to understand- So be it! Let's do it! :D
Lady & Realm Leader | GW2 - Zyera.4835 | SWTOR - Keywork Legacy

GuardianElite
Record: Recruited: 11/26/2013
Squired: 12/26/2013
Baron: 3/19/2014
Rejoined NOR as Squire: 5/31/2015
Re-knighted 10/24/2015

Post by GuardianElite »

Yeah I know. I have social anxiety too. I can barely talk on phones
But she can burn up a damn phone with some texting....

Anyways. I vote Malikk for Officer Mentor. The guy knows everything and would be an excellent coach for those that are having technical issues with getting their characters to T-4 level.

That being said, make his job an easy one. Study the forums of different T-4 raiding guilds. Look up some variety of Specs on your toon on the internet from different sources. Study the fights on youtube or another resource. In other words....come to the table with a modicum of knowledge and basis if you will in order to understand where your 'tutor' is coming from.

Excellent idea Turk...why didn't I think of that...LOL.
Mize, Level 60: Sith Juggernaut
Mrysti, Level 65: Sith Juggernaut
Sicness, Level 60: Sith Inquisitor
Amalgom, Level 60: Imperial Operative
Marstel, Level 60: Bounty Hunter
Karolin (Dark-side), Level 65: Sith Mararder

RTninefoursix, Level 65: Republic Vanguard
RTninefourfive, Level 60: Republic Commando
Karolin, Level 65: Jedi Sage
Porchia, Level 65: Gunslinger
Derrick-veruna, Level 65: Jedi Guardian
Beta, Level 60: Jedi Sentinel
V'ictoria, Level 60: Scoundrel
Valikk
Duke
Duke
Realm: Final Fantasy XIV
Record: Recruited by Zyera
Recruit - 04/22/2012
Squire - 07/29/2012
Knight - 05/21/2013
DMG; KP - 07/20/2013
Champion - 10/24/2013
DMG; DM - 03/19/2014
Baron - 03/19/2014
Count - 07/24/2016
Duke - 10/10/2017

Post by Valikk »

I agree this is an excellent idea! :) in fact I have done this with many people already Torn, RT, Nayla, Doz, Dayda, Zy, and a few others. I have one of everything and know many of the classes and roles inside and out (and if not can always do a quick dusting on class) along with their gear progression, and rotations.

I am more then happy to help anyone with any questions that they might have or if they just need a little push in the right direction, just point them my way. :thumb

SWTOR - Witherbane Legacy
GW2 - Valikk.3810
Alystri
Knight
Knight
Record: Recruited 8\8\2013
Squire 10\17\2013
Knight 1\16\2014
Champion 3\11\2014 Promoted by Zyera
DMG 6\22\2014 Promoted by Zyera
Baron 6\22\2014 Promoted by Zyera
Return to NOR as squire 6\9\2015
Re-Promoted to Knight 11/14/2015

Post by Alystri »

I would also help if I was assigned to mentor someone. Though the only class I know in and out is Watchman Sent.

I dont know how many people know but I consider Sky my mentor in this game. I have never played any other MMO and as such have a very limited knowledge base when it comes to MMO concepts.

When I first started I was horrible. I muddled through but have been kicked from pugs (only once :)) and berated on pugs a couple of times. But I posted here in the forums and Sky answered with very helpful advice.

You all know Sky, he is not rainbows and unicorns :), but he answered in his matter of fact tone. At least that is how i envisioned his tone when i read the posts, lol. However, I applied his knowledge and it worked. I also spoke with Sky in game and he inspected my gear multiple times.

I practiced a lot. My wife made fun if me for practicing a game, lol.

With Sky's help and practice I was able to get geared enough to raid I. The T4 group. I am not always the best DPS (sometimes depending on the fight I am :)) but I pull my weight.

I like running in parsec or torparse with the group, because I am naturally competitive and it helps me be on top of my game.

My goal is to one day beat Sky in a parsec boss fight, lol. Has not happened yet, but I've come close.

Anyway, I will help anyone if I can. I think not everyone wants a mentor but if there is a sign up and people ask for one, as long as I have the k owledge to help them, I will gladly take on the assignment.

Aly

**I dont think Sky does rp but I think it would be cool to have Skyleth in an rp back story as Alystri's master. Hint..hint....

On the rp topic, RT, Alystri would love to meet Karolin and have a slight conflict with her due to her tendency to lean towards the dark side. Karolin's back story intrigues me and I know that Alystri would not agree with her choices. I guess I should post this in the right forum, lol.
Alystri (Level 60 Watchman Sentinel)
Alyianna (Level 55 Vanguard Tank)
Tru-alanna (Level 12 Jedi Sage-Healer)
tornasunder
Knight
Knight
Realm: Neverwinter
Record: 11-9-13 -- Joined NOR in Neverwinter

12-9-13 -- Transferred from Neverwinter branch to SWTOR branch, Squired into the guild.

Post by tornasunder »

For what it's worth... I fully intend to work out a fairly comprehensive sage/sorc dps guide... since it seems that people are having difficulty finding "good info" on the interwebz. Perhaps other folks who are absolutely confident in their class/specs could step up and do the same? Not sure if that would totally solve the issue of helping someone on the path... but it would give people a definite starting point... thoughts?
Rastabob -- 55 Powertech Tank -- SWTOR
Honbadger -- 50 Inquisitor -- SWTOR
Pastabob -- 55 Operative -- SWTOR
Rastabobtwo -- 55 Vanguard Tank -- SWTOR
Tornasunder -- 55 Consular DPS -- SWTOR

Tornasunder -- 60 Guardian Fighter -- Neverwinter

Intisar - "It's like story mode, just harder"

Return to “Cantina”