[Firefall] Gathering Resources

What new games are you looking forward to? Want to set up a branch? Just want to share the excitement? Tell NOR all about it, make your pitch here!
Ojike
Baron
Baron
House: Unicorn
Record: Recruit: 06/21/04
Squire: 09/18/04
Squire Honor: 05/17/06
Squire Elite: 06/11/06

[Firefall] Gathering Resources

Post by Ojike »

Gathering resources in Firefall (also locally known as "Thumping") is one of the main parts to the game. Unlike other MMOs like WoW or SWTOR, where you find a node and "mine" from it once to get a small number of crafting items; Thumping is a timed event where one player (solo or in groups) drops a large mining drill equipped with rocket jets and defends it as wave after wave of enemies try to destroy it.

I made this video the other day, and uploaded it so other people can get an idea of what Firefall "mining" is like. Please enjoy!

Ojike *NOR/GR
"For, as a wise man once said: An error doesn't become a mistake, until you refuse to correct it."
-John F Kennedy
Angelyna

Re: [Firefall] Gathering Resources

Post by Angelyna »

Thanks for the video! I've been having lots of fun blasting away at those critters.

I still feel like I only understand a small portion of this game - it's not like anything I've ever played. May be because I've always avoided "first person shooters" (not a big fan of guns) and stuck to fantasy role playing games like RIFT, WoW, DAoC, etc.

In the upper right hand corner of your video you show "dailys" and "ares mission". I have not seen the dailys - where do you pick those up?
Also, what is the "etiquette" of thumping. I don't want to step on any toes out there. I think the ones that show up on your map are for anyone to join?

Thanks again - see you soon (with more questions)!! :hailnor
Ojike
Baron
Baron
House: Unicorn
Record: Recruit: 06/21/04
Squire: 09/18/04
Squire Honor: 05/17/06
Squire Elite: 06/11/06

Post by Ojike »

Angelyna wrote:
Thanks again - see you soon (with more questions)!! :hailnor
Sorry it has taken me so long to answer your question(s) Angel. I was at work. :thumb

Question about the Daily -> Every play should receive a daily mission every day, that consists of three objectives. Sometimes it is do complete a specific mission type (Crashed LGV, Crashed Thumper, Melding Tornado). Other times it is to kill a specific number of a certain enemy type: Chosen, Tanken Raiders, Sea Creature, Air Creatures, etc. There are also miscellany objectives such as gather 200 crystite, or donate one crystite resonator to a city-hub.

Question about thumping etiquette -> There are three ways to get resources from thumping in Firefall; Personal Thumpers, Squad Thumpers, and assisting other players' thumpers. Personal Thumpers spawn less monsters than a Squad thumper, but pay out much less resources. Also note, that if you are grouped with other players the amount of resources a Personal Thumper pulls up is divided evenly to all participating members of the group. However, with a Squad Thumper a set amount of resources is gathered and dealt out seperately to each player that participated. For example, a Squad Thumper that pulls up 1000 units of Carbon with 3 active players will effectively pull up 3000 units, and give 1000 to each. With 4 players, an extra 1000 is "added" to the hopper and given to the extra player. The final way, assisting another player, is as easy as seeing someone solo or group thumping, and running in and killing a few baddies around their thumper. If you help someone else finish their thumper, and are NOT grouped with them you will get a small portion of the thumper's hopper (I would guess around 15%) and some XP. This does not, in any way, diminish the amount of resources the player who threw down the thumper would get. You simply get "bonus" resources.

Hope this answers your questions Angel, and I hope to see you online soon! As well as many more NOR! :yay
Ojike *NOR/GR
"For, as a wise man once said: An error doesn't become a mistake, until you refuse to correct it."
-John F Kennedy
Angelyna

Post by Angelyna »

Hi OJ,

I found a long long list of Dailies but in the upper right hand corner of your screen I see three Activities listed - I don't have that. When I first started I had the quests listed about getting the jump jets and first weapons, but now show nothing. Am I missing something?
Spent most of the day getting a new car battery :crosseyes
See you :D

Return to “Discussion”