<swtor> Secret Nerf Achievement Guide

Intisar
Duke
Duke
Realm: RIFT

<swtor> Secret Nerf Achievement Guide

Post by Intisar »

Patch 5.2 introduced a new secret achievement based on collecting three hidden Nerf companion pets.
The process is fairly straightforward, but it does involve some travel and luck. At the very least, it’s a good excuse to use the new galaxy map and its ability to quickly criss-cross the universe!

In general there are three steps to earning the trust of each planet’s nerf calves:
  1. Locate and read a datapad with Nerf research. This will give you an hour-long buff that gives you insight into the local food that each planet’s nerfs will eat.
  2. Locate and pick some of that food! Each planet has two or three spawn points where nerf-food can be found. An alert such as “Strange planets have been rumored to grow in this area” will pop up on your screen in red text when you are very close to the spawn point.
  3. Once you’ve collected some tasty treats, all that remains is to take the food to a nerf herd. Feed one of the calves and you’ll have a loyal companion for life!
There are, of course, a few complications. First off, the food you pick on Hoth is too frozen to be eaten so it must be taken to nearby volcanoes where the heat from the liquid hot “magma” will thaw the food allowing it be chewed by delicate calves. To thaw the frozen plant, just run circles around the volcanos for a couple minutes. Before long an alert will pop up and let you know that the plant is safe to eat.

The plants are often somewhat out of the way, up on ledges or tucked away in a nook, so you might need to poke around to find it.

The nerf herd on Hoth lives up on a mountain and getting up there can be tricky, I found the easiest access up the slope is the area just north of Leth Outpost. If you see some of Worthy Jagganath Targets wandering around, you'll know you're headed the right way.

The major complication is that the plants despawn after they are picked, so if someone has been by recently there may be nothing to harvest. If there are other instances, you might have better luck there. There was plenty of competition for plants this week, and I did get jumped by a foolish Marauder when I checked a PVP instance of Hoth. As time goes on, it will probably be safer to visit those instances if you are willing to flag yourself.

I’m not sure how long it takes the plants to respawn, but I’ve seen comments that some folks waited around 30 minutes or so.

Keep in mind that you can only pick the plants when you have the buff from each planet’s nerf datapad. If the buff expires before you’ve found the food, you’ll need to read it again. Once you have the food, you don’t need to worry about the buff however.

ALDERAAN
HOTH
VOSS
Collecting all three nerfs will unlock a Legacy title and a stack of stronghold decorations. The pet nerfs, however, are not legacy bound. If you want them on multiple characters, each one will have to collect them individually.
Now, if they add a proper “Scuffy Looking” title to team up with the “Nerf Herder” legacy title, my life will be complete!

In the interest of full disclosure, I swiped a lot of this info for this from dulfy’s guide. However, I find all the ads on her site often drastically slow down my computer, so I decided to collect my own screen shots and create a guide that won’t crash your browser.

Return to “Guides & Resources”