Spellplague - What could possibly go wrong?

Ziek88
Baron
Baron
Realm: Guild Wars 2

Spellplague - What could possibly go wrong?

Post by Ziek88 »

We came, we saw, we got turned to stone and fell to oblivion. Many giggles were had.

That said, we do have some info to take away. Most of the dungeon between bosses is pretty straight forward and mechanically there is not much to talk about here. Last night Phel, Tyr, Rain and Myself and a cameo from Udo took a stab of this. We did not pass boss 2. I continued on with a dungeon splodin group and then did a second full run. That said I was mostly along for the ride at the point so I have too sort final boss yet. Was trying to record the gameplay but my DVR app got grumpy with Neverwinter so no footage.

Lets talk team comp.
1. Tank - Obvious tank is needed. Pally or GF is fine. Wouldn't say one is better than the other.
2 Heals - For buff debuff purpose DC probably best right now due too recent buffs. I am sure a pally can as well, an off-tank off-heal pally would be great as well. (Disclaimer - I know healadins heal. That is the extent of my healadin knowledge. What else they do I have no idea. They may be just as beneficial as a DC.)
3. DPS/Debuff - MoF CW pretty awesome stuff for this.
4. DPS - Absolute facemelting DPS. We're talking Raiders of the Lost Ark here. GWF or SW most likely. CW, Rogue, HR that has entered facemelt tier. (you crazy squishy doombringers you) Generally we hate HDPS....but that is what this dungeon kinda calls for.
5. DPS/Offtank/Offheal - Any one of these is good. Really this is the flex spot. Anything would work. I think this is where the TR, HR or SS Cw would fit best. Even if they do melt faces.

Boss 1: Kabal
If you have faced Kabal in River district not much of this will be new to you. This is a 3 round fight.

Round 1 - Fight
- Anytime he teleports he summons lava. If kabal is in the inner circle, the outter will be lava and same for the reverse.
- He will chain 2 allies together (similar to green tether). Rain noted it if someone is chainned it appeared they could not be healed. This is not yet 100% confirmed. Remove the chain by standing so the chain is in a fireball. It will break that way. Fireball explodes.
- Chain 1 person too a fireball. Fireball will slowly go towards it's chained companion. Stand so the fireball hits Kabal. This will make him damageable.
-Now pummel him to oblivion

Round 2 - Fight
- All from round 1
- Upon "Killing" him he will teleport middle and throw a chain too the whole party and a bunch of archons will spawn around the room. Quickly dispatch them and break your chains in the fireballs they drop. I think all of them must be killed before fireballs drop, unsure of this detail. Anyone tethered when he does the final pull will likely be slain. Plenty of time for revives.

Round 3 - Fight.....FATALITY
- Same as round 1. There may be something new here but in my 4 times through I have noticed nothing.

Now that Kabal is dead carry on to the next boss, little to talk about on the way.

Boss 2: Stone Eyed Nothic
- Watch his eye. There will be an orange magical eye the aopears in front. When this happens it is important to turn your back to him or you will be turned to stone.
- The whole disc will turn red. This is a knock up. Tanky classes need not worry much. Squishies can dodge with a very well timed shift move.
- large red circle appears. Around the edge of this circle will be pulsing lines. Position yourself so you have the greatest distance between you and the platform edge and are as close to the solid red without stepping in. (You will be in pulsing red.) This is a push. This attack usually follows the petrify. This is why evading petrify is important.
- He randompy gains stacks of power till about 5. You will notice once he had lost about 30% of his max HP some mirrors will appear outsise the platform. If his petrify attack hits one, he will lose his power stacks.
- For obvious reasons, the faster he dies the better.

Too leave boss 2 you get the jump ability simolar to the platforms in Gyrion's thing in River District then some more mob slaughter. Not much too say again.

Boss 3: Nostura (more details still needed)
https://youtu.be/DrX8nXi5sPg
- Curse. Unsure of when it applies. It looks like a lesser warlock curse. It can be applied to more than 1 person. Infinitely stacking DOT. Healer can hopefully out heal it.
- She has a petrify same as boss 2. Same image to warn it is coming. Getting hit by this seems to clear the curse.
- If tentacles sprout group up and burn them down ASAP. Then look for small yellow portals and go through them. Kill balls of mist. This returns to nornal damage phase. Nostura heals during this phase.
- large yellow portals (similar to warlock gate of hell daily) spawn around the arena. Move to the edge nearest the portals and stand between 2 of them.
-The tentacle phase happens twice usually.

Now the fun part!

Remember the good old days where we mega pulled the original screen and the guardian fighter disappeared in a sea of mobs and the screen glowed with numbers and it was pure joy? This is a thing again. The journey between bosses can be amazing.

Less fun.
In line with the horror stories Rain has heard about terrible drops in the lockbox, I got a lesser union stone and nothing else from the daily key lockbox.
Last edited by Ziek88 on Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Neverwinter: @zyek88
  • Guardian Fighter - Ziek
    Scourge Warlock - Zabbit
Discord: Ziek88#2954
Phelaia
Duchess
Duchess
Record: Recruited 6/12/2013
Squired 7/22/2013
Promoted to Baroness 10/1/2013
Promoted to Countess 2/27/2014
Promoted to Duchess 1/22/2016

Re: Spellplague - What could possibly go wrong?

Post by Phelaia »

Our first NOR run included:

Main Tank: Tyr as Protector GF, and later Ziek on Tactician GF
Heals: Rain on DC
Main DPS: Hector as DPS GF
Support DPS: Ziek as DPS GF, and later Udokas on TR
Support DPS: Phel on Spellstorm CW

This place did not allow me to change to MoF Renegade at a campfire (this is a known bug). I will keep this in mind in the future.

Some of us could use better gear, starting with me. :tongue2
Phelaia Fiendline
The original Burninator in Neverwinter
bluebutton
Baroness
Baroness

Post by bluebutton »

Ziek88 wrote: Less fun.
In line with the horror stories Rain has heard about terrible drops in the lockbox, I got a lesser union stone and nothing else from the daily key lockbox.
I read the horror of all that, and then it only ended worse. What?!!! A lesser union stone? And it's been a couple months since it was released? Apparently, fixing a loot table is a lot harder than I imagined.

while drop < blue_item:
print "Here's an insultingly crappy item. Thanks for playing."
*NOR/ BA-NW

Neverwinter--@abluebutton
Main: Krimsn (OP healer)
Alts: Kriket (GWF), Krifin (GF)
Mules: Krindl (SW), Kriplr (TR)

Guild Wars 2--bluebutton.1475
Onyx Ofnor
Ziek88
Baron
Baron

Post by Ziek88 »

bluebutton wrote:
Ziek88 wrote: Less fun.
I read the horror of all that, and then it only ended worse. What?!!! A lesser union stone? And it's been a couple months since it was released? Apparently, fixing a loot table is a lot harder than I imagined.

while drop < blue_item:
print "Here's an insultingly crappy item. Thanks for playing."
Indeed. Now being fair my loot from the two trips was far from anything to scoff at. I did get the ignet from the first boss and got the coveted drop from boss 2 that was a hefty sum at the time on AH. Since I had the ancient keys for the bonus chest I got other goodies as well. 2 rank 8 enchants that sold for 30k each and I got about 55k in salvage materials (10k of which was daily dungeon AD). I just felt it was worth noting that the rumors are true that the chest can yield basically nothing. My guess is the main chest is a cold hearted mimic and the real loot is boss drops and the bonus chest. Encourage players to buy/make keys. I've decided my luck with the boss 2 drop is my reward for the absurd amount of CN runs I have done with no sign of a +5 ring.
    Scourge Warlock - Zabbit
Ziek88
Baron
Baron

Post by Ziek88 »

I've added this clip too the original post.

https://youtu.be/DrX8nXi5sPg

It's about 5 minutes long and is the final boss of Spellplague. It does show most of the fight's mechanics and me biff it a bit. Silly me trying to revive someone. I should know better :-p. I'll update the mechanics I understand on the original post as well. Will take a few more runs too catch them all and get all the timings down.
    Scourge Warlock - Zabbit
tornnomar
Duke
Duke
House: Griffon
Record: I joined.
And am never leaving.
Knighted, Dec. 21, 2015
Baron, Jan. 31, 2016
Count, Oct 15, 2017
And I can't even count:)

Post by tornnomar »

YAY! Good stuff here!

I personally think we'd be better off running FBI as the loot table there appears intact, but I also want to say I've stomped SP once too:)
Ziek is correct that I have seen in both Legit and Alliance chat the horrors of a two+ hour run to land a sapphire in the epic chest and a Blue Mark of Meh in the keyed chest and nothing else. It happens though. We have all been through this before. Who's with me in remembering 60+ runs of Karrundax before you actually got Arm pieces that were for your class!?! Reminds me alot of EDV, run for an hour+ to get blue gear:)
The main thing is we do it and have fun. Remember, we didn't barrel through New CN, eCC, eGWD without a few hiccups and learning experiences along the way. I'm confident that this is the same situation here with SP/FBI/SVA.
"The two most important days of your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why" -Mark Twain
"Chuck Norris CAN divide by zero"
Phelaia
Duchess
Duchess
Squired 7/22/2013

Post by Phelaia »

You got blue gear out of EDV? I couldn't even find the stupid chest. LOL. Yes, this was all recorded in the write-ups of the progression runs of yore.

No, we do this because we can. :hailnor
Phelaia Fiendline
Phelaia
Duchess
Duchess
Squired 7/22/2013

Post by Phelaia »

Date: 11/18/2017
Team: Ziek (GWF), Tyrandil (GF), Phel (CW), Udo (TR), Bluebutton (OP-Heal)

This is first time we went into Master Spellplague as a full 5-man NOR group. So we're definitely making history again.

The first few enocounters were easy...until we saw the first headless fiery monster, because lo and behold, there were portals on each side of the room that spawned additional mobs! Given all the fire on the floor and way too many adds, we didn't last long. Then it became clear that we'd have to revive the older way of doing things by putting one group of mobs at time and fight them at strategic locations. Once we figured that out, it wasn't completely smooth sailing, but the squishier among us were no longer dying.

First boss was Kabal. This fight has always been tough on the squishier classes, especially when the chains were on them. The only way to get rid of the chains was to burn them with a fireball, and the only way to get a fireball to appear is to kill of a fire golem as quickly as possible. And the golems need to die fast. The first 2 attempts did not go well, because the fire golem just wasn't dying fast enough, and they were chasing the squishies around. The last attempt, Phel decided to go back to Spellstorm for better control. This turned out working better than expected, as the golems are actually not immune to control or freezing. This made life a lot easier on everyone. And, while the fight was still difficult, it was no longer unreasonably difficult.

Second boss was the Nothic Eye. The challenge of this fight has always been that if any one of us has the bad luck of getting turned into stone, he's practically doomed to fall off into the abyss. The lag in here is also unforgiving. After 3 attempts, we got it down to 76%, and without a healer, and two DPS's, it was time to call it and try another day.

No matter. We'll be back.

:hailnor
Phelaia Fiendline
Ziek88
Baron
Baron

Post by Ziek88 »

It was great to be tackling new content as NOR again. I think next time we'll get through Kabal much faster and be able to spend more time on boss 2. From what I could tell, we have the power to beat that boss but will need to familiarize with dodging the stone gaze and we should be able to take it down.

I noticed the bug knock up that can nearly one shot a squishy when boss is fully stacked did almost no damage when huddled in Blue's shift dome.
    Scourge Warlock - Zabbit
tornnomar
Duke
Duke
House: Griffon
Record: I joined.
And am never leaving.
Knighted, Dec. 21, 2015
Baron, Jan. 31, 2016
Count, Oct 15, 2017
And I can't even count:)

Post by tornnomar »

YAY!

As I play too late throughout the week, weekends are the only time I see myself available to run. I do pug epics throughout the week for the AD but have yet to land in MSP, on Tanith it seems to be FBI (GULP!) and on John its a nice relaxing trip through MC or VT:) Poor Tanith:(

What times do these Saturday runs occur?
"The two most important days of your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why" -Mark Twain
"Chuck Norris CAN divide by zero"

Return to “Dungeons”