Free-to-Play Online Games

Open discussion for members and visitors.
Talolan
Duke
Duke
Realm: Neverwinter
House: Griffon

Free-to-Play Online Games

Post by Talolan »

:hailnor

The world of online games is moving to a free-to-play (F2P) model and over the years F2P has gotten a lot better. For the most part the days of "pay-to-win" are over, and many of your guild mates are active in other F2P games, and would like to see you there as well. So herein I will compile a list of F2P games, that aren't NOR's normal MMORPG fare, and we can co-ordinate some activities for when we're tired of killing talking trees and space zombies.

Multiplayer Online Battle Arena (MOBA)
League of Legends
League of Legends is currently the king of the eSports work. Featuring 5v5 battles against real teams, or bot matches, LoL has risen in popularity at an alarming rate.
League of Legends Homepage
NOR Players

First-Person Shooters
Tribes: Ascend
This F2P multiplayer only followup to the extremely popular Starsiege: Tribes franchise features five game modes: Team Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, Capture and Hold, CTF Blitz and Arena. This game can be downloaded via Steam if you're a Steam user.
Tribes: Ascend Homepage
NOR Players: Talolan

MechWarrior Online
This all-online entry into the Mech Warrior universe is a no-holds-barred brutal PvP slugfest.
MechWarrior Online Homepage
NOR Players/Forum

Planetside 2
This is the follow-up to the first MMOFPS (Planetside). Fight in a global three-faction, all-pvp conflict. You can download the game from its homepage, or get the game for free on Steam as well.
Planetside 2 Homepage
NOR Players: Vashile, Tygir

If you play a game that isn't on the list, just reply and we'll get it added.
Talolan
NOR/DK-NOMAD

“Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it’s a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope.” - Dr. Seuss
Official Dungeon Master of your dreams.
Tygir
Knight
Knight

Re: Free-to-Play Online Games

Post by Tygir »

i tried Tribes for a lil bit...it was fun but the skiing or w/e its called and the jet pack it was just a bit too much for me
The true test of a champion, is how long it takes to kill him.

"i believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage. Rage against the dying of the light.
Talolan
Duke
Duke

Post by Talolan »

Tygir wrote:i tried Tribes for a lil bit...it was fun but the skiing or w/e its called and the jet pack it was just a bit too much for me
Skiing is the best part of the game. To think, it was a bug in the original game that has now become a feature. Not unlike Rocket Jumping in Quake.

Talolan
NOR/DK-NOMAD

“Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it’s a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope.” - Dr. Seuss
ryverwynd
Baron
Baron

Post by ryverwynd »

SOE is about to release PlanetSide 2 as a F2P option. It is three sided persistent FPS game.
Talolan
Duke
Duke

Post by Talolan »

ryverwynd wrote:SOE is about to release PlanetSide 2 as a F2P option. It is three sided persistent FPS game.
I added planetside 2 to the list.
Talolan
NOR/DK-NOMAD

Tygir
Knight
Knight

Post by Tygir »

i will be downloading Planetside 2 tonight i think and would love to play with some people sometime
The true test of a champion, is how long it takes to kill him.

"i believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage. Rage against the dying of the light.
Vashile
Baron
Baron
Realm: Elder Scrolls Online

Post by Vashile »

If you are checking out Planetside 2 you can find me on Mattherson TR as Kh3mist.
Roxanne
Lady
Lady
Realm: Overwatch
House: Unicorn
Record: Recruited and Squired in TSOY Junish 1994
Recruited by Naquav
Promoted to Lady in May 1995
Married to Duke Zif in game, Feb 1996
Married to Lord Zif IRL April 21, 2000

Post by Roxanne »

Jay just downloaded MechWarrior Online!
Roxanne
*NOR/LE
Wife of ZiF
Araflin
Squire
Squire
Realm: Dungeons & Dragons

Post by Araflin »

Marvel Heroes (It's kinda diablo online but with HULK SMASH! and other Marvel heroes), Defiance (Trion) Boarderlands-ish and ties in with the Sy-Fy show, Mech Warrior (Did play, wasn't greatly keen at the whole "Min/Max competitive" side the people I met wanted as guildies but willing to try again if there's more still playing.

Send me a nod if you play these too - I mostly just spend my "free" time in ESO but pop into the first two on my list once a week or so. Not touched MWO for over a year but happy to try again but it will cause some grudge matches. (Creationists can be rather unforgiving apparently).

My guild in Marvel Heroes is called "Badger Liberation Front" but can easily change it if required :P
Tyrandil
Count
Count
Realm: Guild Wars 2

Post by Tyrandil »

Could we add War Thunder to this list? It's an F2P mutiplayer PvP flight combat game...kind of like World of Tanks, but with airplanes.

I'm the only NOR member who plays it regularly, so far as I know, but I'm trying to reach out and see if others guildmates might be interested in trying it out with me.
I'm always down for a dungeon!

Return to “General”